Hazzard County cookbook, what would you put in one?

DaneyDuke

Reading this thread makes my hungry and I love cooking. I wish I had time tonight to make an oreo fluff or a dirt pudding, which would be so fitting for DOH. You could call it 'crushed tire desert', or 'blacktop pudding'. Yes, I have a sweettooth.

I'll have to try making something like that and post it up here.

I am so hungary reading this thread!!!! I hope my recipe is worthy, as it is a southern type desert:

Cobbler

1 cup self rising flour

1 cup milk

1 cup sugar

Mix the ingredients together very well. Any type of fruit will work. My favorites are fresh blueberry and blackberry. Use a 9x9 pan and spray well. Put the fruit in the bottom of the pan and pour the batter over the fruit. Bake for about an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. You do not want the batter to be runny. You really want the top to be brown.

I'm sure you all will love this, as it has been passed from my grandmother to my mother to me.

I have a few easy recipes. I'll start with the easiest. I got this recipe from Woman's Day magazine but it sounds like something uncle Jesse would make. Fast, easy and can feed two hungry Dukes boys when served the bisque.

It's called 2-ingredient no-knead beer bread.

2 2/3 cups self-rising flour (not cake flour)

12 oz beer (a bottle) freshly opened.

- Put flour in a bowl and add beer. Stir with a rubber spatula just until flour is moistened completely.

- Scrape in lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3 in. loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes in 375F oven until top is slightly browned and pick inserted near center comes out clean.

- Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes then turn out on rack to cool completely.

I just made one and I will taste it tomorrow for breakfast. I'll tell you how it is. :) They say it makes great toast.

If anyone is interested I also have other very easy recipes like a fabulous chicken in wine sauce recipe from actor/TV host Evan Farmer, Pâté Chinois (Shepherd's pie) Quebec style and a pretty good macaroni and cheese recipe from a NHL player. Oh and Frittata (omelette) made with leftover pasta.

Thank you so much for this recipe. My second loaf is baking in the oven right now! It is awesome bread!!!!

Here's a recipe for Bonfire Toffee. It's a traditional British candy, made especially in the north of England around Halloween and Bonfire Night.

Ingredients:

12oz/300g demerara sugar (turbinado sugar should also work)

4oz/100g butter

2 level tablespoons of golden syrup

1 level tablespoon of black treacle/molasses

2 fl oz/4 tablespoons of water

Method:

1) Put all the ingredients into a pan (the mixture bubbles, so use a big enough pan).

2) Heat slowly, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.

3) Bring to the boil. Cover the pan, and boil gently for 2 minutes.

4) Uncover the pan, and continue to boil for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5) Test by dropping a little of the mixture into a cup of cold water. It should seperate into brittle threads.

6) Pour into a buttered 6in/15cm square tin, and leave to set.

7) Turn out on a board, and break up with a small hammer.

Recipe makes about 1lb / 500g of toffee.

When I was younger, it used to be sold in those old-fashioned candy stores with dozens of jars lining their shelves. Sadly there aren't many of them left :(.

HossC, I'm going to have to write that one down. It has molasses in it, so I can guarantee I'll like it! :D

A while back I said if I ever found the Bloomin' Onion Recipe that is served at our Black Gold Festival I would post it. I found it on the food network website and will post the recipe here:

Ingredients

Oil, for deep frying

1 large sweet onion

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon seafood and meat seasoning (recommended: Old Bay seasoning)

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon white pepper

1/2 cup milk

1 egg, slightly beaten

Mild ranch dressing or spicy barbecue dressing, for serving

Directions

Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven with tall sides to 350 degrees F. The oil should only come halfway up the sides of the pan, but should completely immerse the whole onion.

Peel the skin off the onion, leaving the root end intact. Cut a small slice off the top. Starting at the top of the onion make a cut down 1 side toward the root, stopping 1/2-inch from the bottom. Make additional cuts at 1/8-inch intervals until there are cuts across the entire top of the onion.

Rotate the onion so the cuts are horizontal to you. Continue to cut at 1/8-inch intervals, forming a checkerboard pattern across the entire top of the onion. To help the onion "bloom," gently spread the "petals."

Combine the dry ingredients in a shallow bowl or pan. Dust the onion with the flour mixture. Combine milk and beaten egg in a small, deep bowl. Dip the dusted onion into the egg mixture and then back into the flour mixture.

When the oil has reached 350 degrees F, carefully submerge the onion in the oil and fry for 10 minutes, turning as needed, until a golden color. Remove and drain the excess oil.

Serve with a variety of sauces, such as a mild ranch dressing or a spicy barbecue sauce.

• 1 month later...

Since its a cold, snowy day, sometimes you need just a rich, hearty bowl of chili

Disclaimer: I like chili notoriously spicy, so adjust to taste

Hot Dog Mustard Chili

1 14oz package BallPark Franks

1.5 pounds ground sirloin

28oz can crushed tomatoes

15oz can dark kidney beans, drained.

1 onion

2 hot peppers

2-3 cups beef broth, depending how loose you like your chili

chili powder (I use two palm-fulls)

crushed garlic (I use 2-4 cloves)

cumin (I use one palm-full)

hot sauce

brown mustard (I use approx 1/2 cup)

Servings 16: *Approx 1 cup per serving*. Freezes well.

Broil hotdogs until browned. Chop up and set aside. Saute onion , peppers and garlic in cooking spray until tender, add sirloin and brown.

Meanwhile add tomatoes, broth, beans and spices into a large pot. Add hotdogs, set over med heat. Add sirloin when done, let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add hot sauce to taste.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...