DVD problems

Hey Y'all!

I always thought it was just me that had problems sometimes, and always thought my DVD player was bein' tempermental! But, have you tried playing the disc in another DVD player or your computer? Sometimes that works. Do all of your other DVDs work in it? Sometimes cleaning the disc as well as the tray on the player works. Otherwise, I am not sure.

Hope you get some answers. That must be so frustrating to have to look at the box and not be able to watch it!

General Grant

I tried to put some discs on my pc but, even if only 1 time, it had the same problems. All the others dvds work on my dvd player.

The very strange thing is that the same disc that I can't see, 2 friends can; one of them had to duplicate me a b-side of 1 disc of season 7 that I can't even start to play and he saw it perfectly!

That is really weird. I have the same problem, but it comes and goes. It could possibly be that the DVD player just don't like the disc. I can't imagine how anyone or anything could not like the Dukes of Hazzard! I don't know what to tell y'all! I guess some players are more picky than others???

Anyway, if I find something out, I will let y'all know. I hope you are able to play the Dukes soon, though.

General Grant

• 7 months later...

I have had major problems with my Season 3 set, it won't play 4 episodes without freezing up; 'Enos Strate to the Top', 'Hazzardville Horror', 'Good Neighbours Duke' and 'Along Came a Duke'. I have tried them on my Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony players and all show faults. The discs are brand new so there is no dirt or scratches on them. I think there has to be a pressing fault and it certainly doesn't help having these damn double sided discs! Are these common in the USA and the rest of Europe? I had never seen them before on UK pressings.

The only way around the problem was to put them through DVD Shrink and make back ups of the 4 episodes.

Thankfully I only paid just over £6 ($12) for each of the first 6 seasons! Season 7 is not out in the UK until September.

I hope none of the other seasons are going to be so problematic as No. 3.

I see this is your first post so, Welcome to the Hazzardnet maninasuitcase.

(That's a pretty interesting name)

There's another thread where we discussed bad DVDs. I posted mine on there.

The worst problem I had is from season 2...I can remember 2 episodes that were pretty bad..."Jude Emery" and "R.I.P. Henry Flatt"

I also had a minor problem with "Twin Trouble" from season 6 but nothing that bad.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have any season 3 problems.

I see this is your first post so, Welcome to the Hazzardnet maninasuitcase.

(That's a pretty interesting name)

There's another thread where we discussed bad DVDs. I posted mine on there.

The worst problem I had is from season 2...I can remember 2 episodes that were pretty bad..."Jude Emery" and "R.I.P. Henry Flatt"

I also had a minor problem with "Twin Trouble" from season 6 but nothing that bad.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have any season 3 problems.

Yes, my Season 3 was a nightmare! 4 episodes go belly up was bad news. I am about 8 episodes into Season 4 at present with no problems at all so far. It has been great to see all those old Dukes episodes once again. I liked the commentary tracks on the 3 or 4 episodes as well. It is great to see the 3 leads all get on so well over 20 years since the series ended.

I have always loved the Dukes since I saw the first episode on BBC 1 back in 1979. My wife thinks I have lost the plot when I laugh at Roscoe & Boss.

• 1 month later...

After a major wobble on episode 8 and minor glitches on 3 others, episode 14 refuses to play without badly pixellating every 10 minutes or so. I have tried it on my two other machines and it happens there as well. I even tried to put it through DVD Shrink on my PC and it won't even go through that! So, it doesn't look as though I will be getting through Season 5!

Oh, wow! I just got done reading your dvd glitches, maninasuitcase. I feel so sorry for you, you sure have a lot of problems with your dvd's. I would just be so angered by all the problems, but you certainly are handling all of the problems like a pro-hats off to you. Or should I say, a great big yeehaww to you! :-P

I must admit, though. You only paid $12 for each of seasons 1-6? That price seems extremely low. Did you buy them second hand or something? I mean, by the time season 6 came around, they were about $30 at Wal-Mart. Did you get a great deal or a bad product?

I sure hope that your problems get solved with these dvd's soon. By the way, welcome to HazzardNet! I'm glad you found this place. Stick around, it's tons of fun!

Laura Duke:D

No, I waited until all the box sets were all around the £6-£7 mark and bought them all at once for about £40 for 6 sets. All were brand new and in pristine condition from reputable online companies. Prices for the first 6 Hazzard sets are around the £7 mark at quite a few companies. Even Season 7, which was only released last week, is available brand new for £8.99.

As I said Seasons 1-2 & 4 were absolutely fine. Season 3 was bad but I got around that by using DVD Shrink on the episodes that froze and pixellated. Problem solved! Season 5 has been far worse and I really don't know what to do about that one. DVD Shrink doesn't work because the problem is so bad on episode 14. I suppose I could rebuy it in the hope that the new set doesn't contain all the glitches that my current set does. I bought these sets months ago so I can't return any of them.:cry:

That's a shame that you can't return that season and get a new one. I know that I've had some skipping with my dvd's, but luckily, all I had to do was take it out of the dvd player and wipe off the dvd and the problem was solved. Keep us up to date on what happens! I hope that you will be able to afford buying season 5 so that you can watch it!

Yeehaww! I'm happy that you have the final season-but, in a way, it's sad to watch the final season. But, all the shows are very enjoyable, so you'll have a great time!

You could be right about that, maybe they did change it to one sided discs because there were so many problems with the two sided discs. Great thought!

• 2 months later...