Urban Cowboy

Julieduke

John Travolta is the only reason anyone even remembers this movie! Urban Cowboy gives the cowboy legacy a bad name. Mechanical bull riding? Yeah now thats manly. Sure its fun to ride a mechanical bull but if your dumb enough to fight over it so forther... thats taken it way to far.

Leme tell you something from the real world. Bull riding is one of the very few sports where contestants who compete against each other pitch in a help each other. It is a sport against animal not man vs. man. You will rarely if ever see a pair of rodeo cowboys fighting at the rodeo. Bars and everything afterwards... yeah sure.

Movies like that give people the wrong idea, just like the new Dukes movies... there crap cause they aint the way its suposed to be!

~Chet Duke

John Travolta is the only reason anyone even remembers this movie! Urban Cowboy gives the cowboy legacy a bad name. Mechanical bull riding? Yeah now thats manly. Sure its fun to ride a mechanical bull but if your dumb enough to fight over it so forther... thats taken it way to far.

Leme tell you something from the real world. Bull riding is one of the very few sports where contestants who compete against each other pitch in a help each other. It is a sport against animal not man vs. man. You will rarely if ever see a pair of rodeo cowboys fighting at the rodeo. Bars and everything afterwards... yeah sure.

Movies like that give people the wrong idea, just like the new Dukes movies... there crap cause they aint the way its suposed to be!

~Chet Duke

I had seen the movie, and didn't even think of that right there. One question Chet are A rodeo person or a Bull Rider by some chance?

John Travolta is the only reason anyone even remembers this movie!

I politely disagree. Filmed at a very popular bar owned by Mickey Gilley. The soundtrack featured Mickey Gilley, Johnny Lee, Anne Murray, Kenny Rogers, Linda Ronstadt, Joe Walsh, Boz Scaggs, Jimmy Buffet, Bonnie Riatt,The Charlie Daniels Band and others.

The paperback by Aaron Latham, based on the James Bridges and Aaron Latham screen play is a pretty accurate, true life look at people from different upbringings, growing and learning in a relantionship.

Daney, it takes more then famouse people, good writers and actors to make a good movie. Even if the paper back was accurate doesnt make it right and proper in the rodeo world. Yeah people may think rodeos a bunch a low life cowboys spending all there time away from home on the rode, scrappin pennies for entry fees. Some of that is true, but times have changed a great deal and Urban "Cowboy" gave the accuracy of a true life wanna be, a completely different world then the true rodeo cowboy and rodeo bull rider.

Julie, Yes... Iam a bull rider. Ive been riding for 3 years, this is my retiring year. Im done after September. Its been a wild ride and I have learned not only alotta about rodeo and bull riding but a TON about life.

Everything is all based on your perspective. From my perspective, Urban Cowboy gives the real rodeo bull riders a bad name, it hurts the legacy.

Julie, below is a picture of me riding a bull at Rodeo school this past May. Enjoy.

*(P.S. Yes, Iam a girl, yes I ride bulls against the boys in the exact same terms as them. Same bulls, same ropes, same amount of seconds.)*

post-2642-143050809169_thumb.jpg

Daney, it takes more then famouse people, good writers and actors to make a good movie. Even if the paper back was accurate doesnt make it right and proper in the rodeo world. Yeah people may think rodeos a bunch a low life cowboys spending all there time away from home on the rode, scrappin pennies for entry fees. Some of that is true, but times have changed a great deal and Urban "Cowboy" gave the accuracy of a true life wanna be, a completely different world then the true rodeo cowboy and rodeo bull rider.

Everything is all based on your perspective. From my perspective, Urban Cowboy gives the real rodeo bull riders a bad name, it hurts the legacy.

One or two scenes involving prison inmates makes this entire movie about a rodeo? The tavern was having a contest. That does not mean the people were / are wanna bes.

Having read the majority of people discuss the romantic and coming of age theme, your comments are very interesting.

I just watched this movie recently have heard about it alot growing up it was ok but I wasn't really impressed. My sis rode a mechanical bull on her senior trip just for the fun of it no big deal she was the only girl to ride against the boys. My neighbor and good friend has been a bull rider for several years he just retired last year and is now a judge. I went to see him ride a few times it's sooo different up close and personal than it is on the movies or even watching the actual rodeo on tv. LOL my first one I was so close to the fence where they had poured the water out of a trough when the bull came by I got splashed with mud and was dirtier than my friend and he actually rode a bull LOL. Great fun to see but the movies don't do the real thing justice. I have to agree with Chet rodeo is a real sport my family isn't sports fans as in any kind of ball playing and the like but we will all watch rodeo cos that's a real sport as we say.