map of Hazzard

RogerDuke

I am new to the Hazzardnet (and have little computer skills but I'm learning). I'm excited about figuring out how to navigate this website and meet people who love Hazzard County as much as I do. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has ever put together a map of Hazzard? I did it when the show was first out but now that I have all 7 years on DVD I can get a much more accurate map because I won't miss any episodes and I can "rewind" something if I didn't hear it clearly. I am watching every episode and keeping a notebook of the following catagories 1)residents 2)businesses 3)roads 4)landmarks 5)water 6)neighboring counties 7)other misc. When I've seen all the episodes, I plan on putting together a huge map of Hazzard County with all of those items on it. Of course, there are inconsistencies that I've run accross but I'll work them out somehow. I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with this idea but I'd love to hear from others who have. RogerDuke

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the inconsistencies can be difficult to deal with. For example, on "The Runaway", Mabel Tillingham says the Dukes live on Mill Pond Road which is 18 miles from Hazzard. Two episodes later, Lester Crabb (Treasure of Hazzard) says they live on Mill Road. For my map, I'm going with Mill Pond Road because I trust the phone operator more than a visiting sheriff that was only there one episode and probably left a word out. Also, "Mill Pond" is mentioned in other episodes. Speaking of inconsistencies, Mabel Tillingham is listed as Myrtle Tillingham on the closing credits. I'll trust the folks of Hazzard more than the credits on that one.

After watching the first two seasons I have recorded this many items in my quest to put together the ultimate map of Hazzard County

Residents-62 (Homes and not individuals)

Businesses-54

Roads-49

Landmarks-14 (Canyons, mountains, mines, etc)

Water-22 (Swamps, creeks, ponds, lakes etc)

Other Counties-20 (Includes other towns too)

5 more seasons to go !!!!

You can't really count other towns as other counties, you know. There's multiple towns in a county - in fact, more than just Hazzard in Hazzard County. You have to figure out which towns are in which counties. If you can figure out directions, east-west-etc for places, you can kinda figure out which towns belong to which counties if they aren't specified in the show.

And don't forget that Chickasaw and Choctaw actually seem to be the same county - ie, Sheriff Little's territory. I usually go with Chickasaw as the name because it was used more often. I think Choctaw was used once or twice.

You are right. I should have worded it "other counties and towns" so you could tell I intend to distinguish it on my map. It is very difficult to tell if a town is in Hazzard County or not if the show doesn't specify that it is. If the town is large I figure it's not in Hazzard County. That's just one of the problems I have to deal with. I'm sure if all Dukes fans made a map, they'd all look a lot different. I see in season 3 some businesses are in different locations in town and some have left completely and turned into other things. I guess in that case, I have to go with the most current version and conclude that there is change everywhere....even in Hazzard.

Speaking of which, change can be extra confusing in Hazzard. The "Furniture Mart" turned into Seth M Berley & Company in season 3 and later in season 3 (Uncle Boss) it turned back into the Furniture Mart. "Uncle Boss" is also one of the episodes in which Daisy's yellow car returns after being destroyed in season 2. Well, old Waylon said it many times...anything can happen in Hazzard. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

I know what you mean about painful. That was a rough place. The prison boss there was also the drug ring leader in "Mason Dixon's Girls". Of course there was enough time between those two episodes that not many people would notice that they cast the same actor to be a drug lord and prison warden. Watching that episode makes me appreciate Rosco. Thank goodness Hazzard County has fun lawmen (and women...Daisy was a deputy once). I'm gone.

I know what you mean about painful. That was a rough place. The prison boss there was also the drug ring leader in "Mason Dixon's Girls". Of course there was enough time between those two episodes that not many people would notice that they cast the same actor to be a drug lord and prison warden. Watching that episode makes me appreciate Rosco. Thank goodness Hazzard County has fun lawmen (and women...Daisy was a deputy once). I'm gone.

What the guy that play Bull on Night Court was on Duke, he played one of the Beaudry's. And later he was on Smallville he played a real mean guy and Jonathon had to deal with him again but a more diplmatic way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a mapmaking problem I've come into that I'd like to run by my fellow Hazzardites. In "Birds Gotta Fly" from season 4, Boss is traveling from Capitol City to Atlanta and encounters two seperate road signs that say he is traveling north and has 110 more miles to get there. Since Capitol City is likely close to Hazzard this seems to be inconsistent with Hazzard being north of Atlanta near the Tennessee line. I think I'm going to ignore those signs and chalk it up to a writing error unless someone else has any information otherwise. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

After recording items from the first 4 seasons, here is the number of things I have so far in my quest to make the ultimate map of Hazzard County.

Residents (homes, not individuals) - 117

Businesses - 104

Roads - 112

Water (creeks, lakes, swamps, ponds, rivers, etc) - 56

Landmarks (canyons, caves, mountains, bridges, hollows, etc) - 124

Other Counties (towns, counties, other Bosses and sheriffs) - 44

In addition, there have been 15 Country Music stars that appeared on the show as of the first 4 seasons.

I'm pretty excited about this map. I'll probably start putting it on paper (a very large poster board) in the fall. It is my dream to display it at the next DukesFest. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

In my efforts to gather items to make the ultimate map of Hazzard County (and town), here are my final totals after watching all 7 seasons.

Residents (homes, not individuals) - 185

Businesses - 161

Roads - 154

Water (creeks, lakes, swamps, ponds, etc) - 73

Landmarks (canyons, caves, mountains, bridges, hollows, etc) - 168

Neighboring counties (including towns, bosses and sheriffs) - 67

I realized at the start of season 5 that I could use closed-captioning to check on spelling so I'll have to rewatch the first 4 seasons to recheck some things (*grins and yells "Yes!!!"). Unfortunately there are a lot of errors on closed-captioning so I'll have to use some discretion. I gotta go...Now where'd I put that poster board?..I'm gone!!

Hmmm....I'm wondering who made them.... Readable maps (thank goodness for pause buttons) appeared on the following episodes.

Farewell Hazzard

Boss Behind Bars

Cool Hands Luke 'n Bo

Randsom of Hazzard County

Double Dukes

Treasure of Soggy Marsh

I do have another map but I don't have the episode listed with it. It lists Chocktaw County and Hatchapee County bordering Hazzard County to the west near Hard Labor Creek.

Thanks Redneck Woman, I think you're right. That's the one I had listed on the bottom two lines of my last post. I think I remember Cooter mentioning Hard Labor Creek. They have to cross into Hatchapee County and face Emmitt "Spike" Loomis. Some of the other landmarks I have on that map are Willet Bridge, Miller's Swamp, Pine Hollow Road and Calico Junction. They take Route 104 to get there. Choctaw County is north of Hatchapee County on that map. Does this sound right to you? Thanks for helping me match the episode to the map. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.