Favorite Rosco quotes

I just got to wondering if they let the actors change the lines around a bit if they thought of something that would work better than what they had oringinaly written. Hmmmm I wonder........ anyone know?........

Texasdaisy, I think James best had a few of his own, I don't remember which ones or if any of the other actors did as well.

I just got to wondering if they let the actors change the lines around a bit if they thought of something that would work better than what they had oringinaly written. Hmmmm I wonder........ anyone know?........

My guess would be that they pretty much kept to the script at first but then took a few more liberties later. What do they call it, ad libbing or something like that?

I do know that Waylon changed a lot of the writer's material....thankfully I suppose because I'm sure the writers didn't speak redneck as well as old Waylon.

"Just because he is country boy doesn't make him stupid!" Khee!

For some reason it seems like this quote might be from the same scene when Rosco's in a car with some bad guys and he's trying to warn the Dukes (who are driving ahead of them) that's there's danger. He sees a hawk and says "That looks like the chicken hawk that's been killing all those chickens" and then shoots at it.

Let me know if my memory serves me right or not SRPC

My guess would be that they pretty much kept to the script at first but then took a few more liberties later. What do they call it, ad libbing or something like that?

I do know that Waylon changed a lot of the writer's material....thankfully I suppose because I'm sure the writers didn't speak redneck as well as old Waylon.

Jimmie ad libbed all the time. It got to the point that the writers would just put a place holder in the script for Jimmie to do his thing. If it was great, they took credit. If it fell flat, they'd complain about him adlibbing again. LOL.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

From 'Dead and Alive':

Rosco is mad at Boss because he wants to beat Sheriff Little to catching the Dukes, but Boss wants him to collect more of Artie Bender's paintings.

Rosco: You know one day I'm gonna, I mean I'm gonna, I mean I'm gonna ...

Boss: You're gonna what?

Rosco: I don't know, this is not my day.

Good stuff. Those two worked together so well. What a great team.

When I first watched Dukes I was just watching it for car chases and stunts (I was too young to appreciate the charms of Daisy back then:)). When I got the DVDs it was mainly a nostalgia trip the first time through. I'm now nearing the end of my second start-to-finish viewing and the interaction between Boss and Rosco is one element that gets better with every viewing.

This may be contentious, and I'm not knocking any of the other actors, but I think Rosco is the character who is missed most when he's not in an episode.

I would have to say my favorite, beyond all of them, is in later episodes where Rosco says, "great gobs of gallopin' goose grease". That one just always struck me funny. Jimmy Best sure can deliver a line.

I watch the 20th Anniversary Barbeque on Youtube a lot because I love to watch everyone's interaction with one another. Love how they get along in real life.

Just heard this one in 'Cooter's Confession'.

Boss wants Rosco to tail the Dukes, and asks 'You think you can do that?'.

Rosco replies:

'Surveillance, oh I can handle surveillance. Listen, I was really good in surveillance when I was in the police academy. That was my best subject ... next to recess'.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know what episode it is...it is the one that is on CMT right now. The one with Boss and Jesse racing shine (water) against each other.

Boss and Enos are standing next to Boss' car in a field when Rosco shows up,

Rosco to Enos: Who's guarding the prisoners?

Enos: Sheriff, there is no prisoners.

Rosco: Then go get some!

Rosco has a lot of great lines. Found it ironic in "One Armed Bandits" last night that at the end when all the kids come running out of the orphanage, that Rosco went for his gun!

Rosco has a lot of great lines. Found it ironic in "One Armed Bandits" last night that at the end when all the kids come running out of the orphanage, that Rosco went for his gun!

And they spelled his name wrong on the big banner. ROSCOE Maybe he wanted to shoot someone for spelling his name wrong but when he saw they were just kids, changed his mind.

• 4 weeks later...
My Favorite Quotes by Rosco are:

"Enos, You Dipstick!"

"What a hurrendous crash!"

"You Scuffed My Vehicle!"

"We're in Hot Pursuit!"

"That's a Big 10-4 My Little Fat Buddy"

"Cyck Cyck"

"Flash wants a doggie num num"

"What kind of fuels do fossils run off of?"

"Im gonna cuff em and stuff em!"

"Enos, you don't say go fish in rummie you dummie"