Picking Up the Pieces

runningwild

Bo however had been on his way down the stairs at the same time that Sawyer had been talking, hearing everything that had been said between the two. Upon Sawyer's proposal, Bo had run back up the stairs and grabbed the tape recorder off Rosco's table, switching it on to record everything that was being said with a smirk.

At the point he heard Luke's answer, Bo very nearly turned off the tape, turned around and walked out the door. His cousin hadn't changed at all, not one bit since he had been gone. He had been off working on the track to earn money for the farm that Jesse could no longer get because of Luke's foolish actions. However, that talking he had had with Jesse when he had delievered the money to them kept ringing through his head. Sighing, he heard Sawyer coming down the stairs and slipped the tape into his pocket, letting Sawyer walk past him. He was ready to talk to Luke...but to save his sorry, pathetic butt he wasn't yet.

He stepped down the stairs and stood in the doorway, folding his arms and just watching the figure that was supposed to be his cousin...but was really just a guy he didn't even know anymore.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke looked up at the second sound of foot steps that had descended down into the basement. The sight of Bo made Luke freeze in time, which was something that Luke hadn't found the time to do. Inwardly, Luke was almost over joyed at seeing the sight of his cousin, his brother. But, he wasn't sure if he should show that to Bo. He wasn't sure if things between them had gotten any better.

"What brings you to this neck of the woods, Cousin?" Luke was unaware that Bo had heard what Sawyer had talked to him about. Sawyer shot Bo, or maybe he had forgotten that, which would never have helped Luke's case.

Sawyer smirked to himself as he walked past Enos and out into the sunlight. He had already busted Cassie out of jail. Luke didn't know that but what did it matter anyway. Lucas K. Duke was going to be behind bars because of Sawyer. If anyone had taken the time to look at the situation, everyone was innocent except for Sawyer, who was the real criminal.

Bo shook his head at Luke's words, staying right where he was, not moving any closer to the stranger who stood before him.

The man behind the bars looked vaguely like his older cousin, but then again the man speaking to him sounded completly different. The word cousin coming from this man's mouth seemed alien to him after everything he had just heard.

"Don't call me that...your not my cousin...I don't know who the hell you are or what you've done with him...but I came back hoping to find the guy I grew up with...instead I find this..."

Bo manged to grind out as tears filled his eyes and the lump rose in his throat that he had to swallow down. Truth was, he missed Luke something fierce and had done every since Cassie had come along and taken him away. He always knew that someday they would grow up and find other people, but he never ever thought that it would change them so dramatically. When they had made their promise to each other as blood brothers so many years back, Bo had taken it seriously...it was becoming more and more apparant to him, that none of that mattered to Luke anymore and it was killing him.

Luke just sighed and tightened his grip on the bars. "If that's how you want it Bo, then fine we're not cousins. We don't share the same blood." It seemed so funny to Luke that Bo would cast him off even now. "I've been trapped in this cell for weeks. I've had time to do a lot of thinking. I wondered when you were going to bust me out. Or, when I was going to hear the General's horn outside of the window in the square?"

He sighed again looking Bo right in the eye, "I'm still the guy you grew up with. More so now than ever, Bo. Why would you say I'm not? Is it because of Cassie? Think about it Bo. The guy you grew up with could see the good in people because that's how Uncle Jesse raised us. She's a good person deep down and I want her to get her second chance. Don't good people deserve second chances? Don't I deserve a second chance, Bo?"

"Well you obviously ain't ben thinking clearly have ya...I've been gone for months...earning money on the race track for a farm that you abandoned because of some girl...Uncle Jesse raised you to see the good in people but we always promised to each other that we would never let anyone - especially not a girl - come between us."

Bo said back, stepping a little more into the room, shaking his head as the tears dripped down his cheeks and his voice raised an octave.

"You ain't the guy I grew up with...because the guy I grew up with would never let the man who put me in hospital...who near killed me and near killed the girl you supposedly love so much....get away with putting you behind bars for life when you dont even know what his hidden agenda is....your trying to protect Cassie...but what happens if she gets out but your not around..huh? Sawyer's walking free...i'm gonna be looking over my shoulder the rest of my life because of it...Cassie's gonna be forced to be with him and your gonna be in the State Pen...that's not my brother...for all I care...you can rot in hell..."

Bo said before turning away and heading out the room.

Luke yelled, "BO!" He gritted his teeth, "If I'm not still your cousin, then why did you record Sawyer? Huh? I saw you. I saw you and I didn't even let on because I thought maybe this was my chance."

He paused, "So don't walk away from me! Let's figure something out so that we can put that bastard back where he belongs because I sure as hell don't belong here!"

Enos flinched at Luke's booming voice that traveled upstairs, but he didn't say anything.

Bo span round and yelled at Luke as he walked forwards, reaching through the bars and gripping Luke's shirt in his hands, pulling Luke more into the bars.

"I did it because I have my own personal reasons for throwing that scum inta the state pen for life! In case you forgot, he shot me! You didn't see me recording Sawyer at all, you can see the outline of the tape in my pocket! The only reason you even care about getting out of here now is because of what I said about Cassie!"

With that, Bo pushed Luke hard through the bars, making the older man stumble backwards into the cell, outstretching his palm to show the blood brothers scar running down it.

"When we did this I thought it actually stood for something! I thought that there would be nothing strong enough that could stand between us but obviously I was wrong wasn't I! Just stupid ol' Bo getting too emotionally attatched to everything that he ever thought meant something...don't you get it Luke?! Your the one that's hurting me...not Cassie, not Sawyer...YOU. Your the one that's pushed me and everyone else away and let Cassie take over every single thought you've got!"

Regaining his feet, he stood before Bo shaking his head. "It meant everything!" He showed Bo his own palm and gasped for breath. "Maybe I did see the outline of the tape, Bo! But, you have no idea what I'm thinking about ever. I thought you'd be safe out there racing. You'd be out of sight and traveling so I didn't worry about you. Now, you're here and who's out there to protect you. You can hold your own, but I couldn't protect you from Sawyer before. I'd risk everything to protect you this time, Cousin!"

He paused and let his voice lower, "So, stop being a selfish jackass and get me out of here so we can straighten things out. Cassie's in jail for all I know now. I don't get much word down here. But, you're standing there as a free man and you're fair game to a killer. So, just get me out of here and we'll take care of Sawyer. You've got the tape and I've got the plan." With his last few words he smirked knowing that's exactly how he and Bo worked. Bo was the muscle and Luke thought up the plans. Only Duke cousins could work together like that.

Bo clenched his jaw, looking back at Luke with eyes that still shone with the tears that were dripping down his cheeks steadily. Shaking his head, he grabbed the keys off the wall and unlocked the door before hanging them back up.

Before Luke could step out the cell though, he stood in front of the man and punched him square on the jaw before hissing at him.

"That's for being a stupid, inconsiderate Jackass. We're not alright, don't call me cousin and the only reason i'm helping you is because I want Sawyer completly out of my life so I dont gotta worry bout him anymore."

Luke took his jaw into his hand and laughed it off a little. "Fair enough, Bo. See I do think about more than just Cassie." Stepping forward after a second, he shook the punch off. "

In trying to keep the mood light he smirked, "You still hit like a girl." There was a pause, "Now, who's upstairs that we've got to get past?"

Luke shook off Bo's cold shoulder. "Okay, well.." He thought for a moment and before he knew it he had a plan.

"Now, bear with me because I know you ain't up to taking no direction from me right now, but you need to go upstairs. Get Enos all wound up thinking that whoever that fella was that was down here with me done something to me. I'll stand back here in the shadow, then once Enos is past me I'll jet up the stairs. You just wait for me at the top." He paused, "I'll apologize to Enos about this a little later. Is the General out front?"

Enos turned around so fast in his chair that he nearly lost his hat. Clinging to his hat with one hand, he stood up. Obviously, he was flustered mostly because that's how Enos usually was. "What is it Bo?!" His other hand went to his gun and he dashed for the door to the stairs. He stopped at Bo just so he wouldn't run him over going down the stairs.

Luke could hear Bo and could only wish he could see the job he was doing. Making sure he was out of sight, he waited for a moment.

Before he knew it, Enos came stumbling down the stairs to inspect. "Luke! Luke!.." He blew past Luke and was in such a fuss that he didn't realize at first that there was no one in the cell.

Luke crept back up the stairs and then took off for it. "Come on!" He whispered and hurried through the jail and out the front door. "Which car's yours?"

Luke had to resist the urge of jumping through the window. Instead, he gathered himself and calming opening the door getting in. "Fancy ride." He looked the interior over once, then his eyes rested on the inhaler. "Since when?" That's all he knew he could say about the inhaler.

Enos had already realized that the Dukes had pulled a fast one on him and was running back up the stairs. "Sheriff! Sheriff! Luke's been sprung! Sheriff!"

Bo pulled out of the parking space and sped out of Hazzard Square, putting the end of the inhaler in his mouth and squeezing the medicine in a couple of times before putting it back in his pocket as he drove.

"I've always had asthma Luke you know that. It came back more after I got shot and worsened on the track,...probably from the exhaust fumes..."

"I know you've always had asthma Bo, but I didn't know that it'd gotten worse." Luke looked concerned, "You never needed the inhaler before on one of our usual high speed jail breaks."

Resting his elbow on the inside the door panel, he looked out into the countryside. This was the first time that he had been able to breathe fresh air in a long time.

"Where're we going anyhow?"