Picking Up the Pieces

runningwild

"Anytime Bo." Cooter just sighed as Bo walked past him.

Luke, on the other hand, was heading into town. To no surprise, he let the truck pull to a stop infront of the jail. Right now, he just wanted to talk to Enos. There's where all the answers would lie. Getting out of the truck, he headed inside.

Enos looked up from his desk, "Hey Luke.." He wasn't sure why Luke was back, but he wanted to keep their conversation as business-like as possible.

Rosco was going through a filing cabinet grumbling something about Boss Hogg. Hearing someone come in, he smirked when he saw that it was Luke. "What are you doing here Luke? I haven't arrested you yet."

Shaking his head, Luke sighed, "You ain't got anything to arrest me for Rosco. I'm here because I've got some business to tend to."

Enos shook his head, "What can I help you with?"

Luke took a deep breath, "Let's talk bail."

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooter's eyes widen, "What?" He paused, "Bo, why'd you wanna move in here? Uncle Jesse's really needs your help on the farm.." In truth, Cooter didn't know if he could tell Bo no, but he wanted to figure out why he'd even consider that. "Come on.. looks like we need to talk my friend."

Enos just stared at Luke, "Bail? For Cassie?"

Before Luke could answer, Rosco interrupted them, "There's no bail for Ms. Morgan. Boss said she is to remain in jail until her trial, which could be weeks from now."

Luke shook his head, "There's no reason for her to stay in there that long."

"Well no.." Enos said softly.

Rosco shot him a look of intimidation.

Sighing, Enos spoke again, "She has to stay Luke.. she's caused too much trouble."

"Well.. I hate to tell you Enos, but if you don't let her out, then there's going to be a whole lot more trouble for ya'll to deal with."

Bo swallowed, sitting with Cooter on the porch. He slowly scrubbed a hand down his face, shaking a little with anger and he supposed a little fear, trying to calm hismself down which proved to be unsuccesful.

"Cooter I can't be around Luke! Knowing him he's probably down at the jail house to free her and let her roam wherever she wants....she nearly got me killed Cooter! I still have health problems because of it, I still have NIGHTMARES because of it and Luke knows it! I may be being selfish in the way i'm thinking but he's letting a murderer back into his life! Into everyone's lives....that....in my view right now that makes him as bad as her, he's her acomplise! I don't wanna be around him, and Uncle Jesse'll take his side too. If he wants to date her again then fine but i'm not going to be a part of his life anymore. He has a choice to make....I've already got a guarenteed place on the NASCAR circuit, all I ever needed was a reason to go and Boss' permission which you know he'll give me in a heartbeat....guess now i've got the reason all that's left to do is go see Boss. I just need a place to stay until its sorted out....I am NOT staying in a place where I don't feel safe...and as long as Cassie has Luke under her thumb I don't feel safe."

He finished, looking out over the land, his face red from the rant and breathing hard in anger and despair. If the tables were reversed and it was Bo doing this, Luke would be the first one to jump in and convince him it was wrong. He was such a hypocrite and Bo was sick of it.

Cooter just stared at Bo, "Okay, well look at it this way. Maybe he loves her and maybe he wants to help her. He's not abandoning Cassie because she made a few mistakes. Granted that they were huge mistakes, but I see where you're coming from." He sighed and started again, "I'm not going to encourage you to leave your family, even though you are welcome to stay here. I know that you're still hurting from what happened. Everyone is, but you have to realize that people change Bo. They change real fast. Do you remember when we were all about knee high and Cassie would just laughed and play? Ya'll were at each other like cats and dogs, but you still were her friend even after she broke your bow and arrow that Uncle Jesse gave you. She went away and came back.. there had to be something about her that kept you hooked. You slept with her Bo. Not a lot of people know that, but you took her on a drive and ended up on some back road and that was it. Now, the last time she came back.. I know she caused a ruckus, but you do know that she had been influenced terribly in her decision making process. Luke talked to me briefly about it not to long ago.. she was messed up on drugs and a man that haunted her. She did let Sawyer out of jail, after he'd been put in there for shooting you, but she wanted Sawyer to kill to her ex-boyfriend and then after he wasn't able to. She responded to the APB put out on him to have him locked back up." Suddenly, Cooter fell silent and just stared at Bo. "After a lifetime together.. you'd abandon Luke? He's not abandoning you Bo.. he's trying to save somebody's life.. and he's making a sacrifice even though he knows that its hurting you. He's counting on your help."

Rosco started over to where Luke stood, "Was that a threat Luke?"

Luke shook his head, "No, it wasn't Rosco, but she don't belong in there." He sighed.

Enos looked at Luke and then to Rosco. "He's right Sheriff."

"You're a danged fool Enos! She's a criminal." Rosco shouted.

Cassie heard this from downstairs and shuttered slightly. Jail was a dark place to be which was ironic considering that she had a window to pour sunlight down on her.

Bo sighed and turned away, shaking his head.

"you're right Cooter, people do change....so who's to say Cassie won't change again and hurt Luke again. I know that side to things from experience...yeah I slept with her but unlike Luke I learnt from my mistakes. Its her fault I cant sleep at night, its her fault I have to go into hospital once a month....she ruined my life and she ruined Luke's too but he's too hard headed to see that..."

Swallowing, Bo turned back to Cooter teary eyed.

"Cooter....I never wanted to abandon Luke, never....but I dont feel safe with Cassie around....I'm...I'm afraid....its her own fault she's on drugs, not mine I have no sympathy for her...and didn't Luke once say when I was with Diane....that anyone who chooses a girl over their family doesn't deserve to be called a Duke....oh yeah he told me he said that....and he promised that he would never put me in that position if I never did to him again....I kept my end of the deal...unlike him I learnt my lesson...I don't have a choice Cooter."

Cooter stared at Bo, "I understand, Bo. I really do." The whole conversation was hurting ol' Cooter to hear, but he had to let his friend talk. What he had thought about the situation wouldn't mean a thing, right now. Still he wanted to take up for Luke, but still be there for Bo. The man was torn between two friends.

"I don't think Luke's choosing Cassie over his family..." He sighed, "She's done some things that can never be taken back, but that's not worth talking about again. Luke's like your brother, Bo, and ya'll are just going to have to find a way to deal with each other. You should just talk things over with him, before you go making any decisions. You owe each other that."

Bo shook his head, closing his eyes and looking away again.

"No....the Luke I grew up with was my brother but he died when she messed up his life...since then Luke got replaced with a guy I hardly even know anymore...I dont owe that guy anything....thanks for saying I could stay Cooter....but I'll just be going...I got stuff to pack..."

He patted Cooter's shoulder and went back to the General, sliding in and starting up the engine.

Cooter cursed under his breath, "Bo!" He called after the youngest Duke. Getting up he sat his glass down and headed down the stairs towards the General Lee. "Wait a second!" Now, it was up to Bo whether or not he'd wait.

Enos shook his head, "I'm still following the law Sheriff. Cassie Morgan is downstairs in a cell. I might not agree with it, but she's there."

Luke looked at Enos, "Thanks Enos, for understanding."

Rosco was getting angry, "Luke get out of here! We don't need no Duke coming in here telling us how to do our job."

Luke spoke, "I'm not telling you how to do your job Rosco.. I'm here to as a visitor to your criminal."

• 3 weeks later...

Dusty Rose Duke drove past Bo as he was leaving with the General Lee. Dusty pulled Ridge Runner into Cooter's with a expression that demaned answer. She slid out the window and stomped over to her boyfriend and punched him on the arm.

"Cooter Davenport, why didn't you tell me that Cassie was back in town?" Dusty said faced Cooter with her hands on her hips.

Cue runningwild or BoJamesDuke

Cooter flinched and pouted when Dusty punched his arm, still watching the retreating General Lee before looking back to her with a slight scowl.

"Now hang on, in between me findin' out myself an' you turnin' up an' punchin' me, i've had to deal with all kinda things! It ain't that I wasn't gonna tell ya but I've been real busy! Ain't no need to punch me!"

Dusty looked at Cooter with slight smile. "Baby." Dusty teased as she placed a kiss on Cooter's arm. Then she let out a frustrated sigh and leaned into him.

"Oh Cooter I'm sorry. It's just very time Cassie's here, she causes trouble for Bo and Luke. And you know how they get. The both of them are always putting me in middle of their fights when she comes to town." Dusty said as she laid her head on Cooter's shoulder.

Cue BoJamesDuke or runningwild

Cooter sighed and nodded, holding her close.

"I know exactly how ya feel....an' I think yer gonna get right into the middle of them again....Bo's decided he ain't stickin' around to wait for Cassie to hurt Luke or him again...he said he's leavin' fer NASCAR....he's gone back to the farm to pack....Luke's with Cassie."

Dusty's head shot up from Cooter's shoulder and gasped.

"Baby...are you tellin me the truth? Bo's leavin?" Dusty asked. "And Luke's with Cassie?" Dusty said with through clutched teeth. Dusty let another frustrated sigh and situated herself so she was between Cooter's legs so that her back was leaned against Cooter's chest. She played with his fingers on her waist.

"Why is she bustin up my family?" Dusty said with a sigh.

Cue BoJamesDuke or runningwild

Cooter sighed and shook his head, hugging his girlfriend close and resting his chin on top of her head.

"I tried ta convince Bo to come to his senses and stay and try and work things out with Cassie but....god the things he was sayin' about Luke....how Luke ain't the same person since Cassie hurt him the last time...how he was frightened and Luke didn't even care....I think Luke really may have broken what he has with Bo this time..."

"I know what Bo means Cooter. I found Luke in the barn two night ago drunk. When I asked him what was wrong, he jump up and busted a beer bottle told me that it was none of my bussiness and start waving the broken beer bottle at me. I left so I didn't anger him further." Dusty said with a shiver. "He has changed since last year Coot." Dusty said as she burrowed closer in his embrace.

Cooter continued to hug her close, rocking her softly. Boy he wished Luke could look past his own hurt at what Cassie had done to him and see how much she had hurt his whole family. He knew Luke wanted to mend things with her and probably get back together with her again and help her off the drugs....but personally Cooter didn't know why he bothered.

By the looks of her, Cassie probably wouldn't be able to survive the effects of withdrawal let alone rehabilitation and anyway, he didnt think a person like her deserved to live anyhow. Luke had nearly lost Bo because of her and now it was like Bo didn't even matter to him anymore, let alone the rest of his family.

No, Cassie was trouble and Luke was so blinded by his own foolishness that he refused to see that. Maybe he was wrong in what he had said to Bo....it was seeming more and more like Luke was going to put Cassie over his family and now it didn't seem as much of a shock that Bo was leaving.

Dusty let Cooter rock her gently. In his embrace she knew she was loved. Her and Luke used to be so close, now they were falling apart at the seems. Dusty was scared of Luke and she didn't want to be any where near him when he was this way.

"I talked to Uncle Jesse and I told him I wanted to move out until Luke is him self. He said I could. So I have this boyfriend with a nice place who wouldn't mind letin little old me move in with him." Dusty said with a teasing grin as looked into Cooter's eyes.

Cooter frowned, that didn't sound like Uncle Jesse at all. In times like this, he would encourage the family to stick together and most certainly wouldn't let anyone move out if he could help it, Bo was going to have a hard enough time convincing him of it as it was.

"You mean you WANT to move out and are asking me before you tell Uncle Jesse what your planning...."

Dusty looked at Cooter. "Honey it's going to be hard to go back to farm and find Bo not there because Luke and he are fighting. I mean I can't the family together, and I'm tired of being the referee in their fights. I know Uncle Jesse sets a store on family, but Luke just seems to be tearing in apart by going back to Cassie. I'll talk to Uncle Jesse, but I truly feel safe with you Cooter." Dusty said.