Post hogg

Brian Coltrane

I've been taking a look at the number of posts we've got on record for everybody. I was just curious because MaryAnne had posted an announcement about trying to break the traffic laws - I mean, the traffic records, for number of users on the forums at one time.

To do that though, poeple gotta have somethin' to read. I myself have been slacking off in the babble department. I'm way behind in my usual news hunting - though I have been doing Hazzard-related business.

For herself, MaryAnne was on leave for a few months. (We are very happy she's back! ) Toward the last couple months here though, things did kinda die off a little bit, and I'll take responsibility for that.

Yet, I notice here, MaryAnne has 914 posts, since June of 2001.

I have 1078 posts since December 2001.

I figure her leave of absence, and my later sign-up, kinda balance each other out, so timewise we're about even.

Which means she's got some catching up to do. If she's game, I might have a friendly challenge to offer, that would help even up the score.

So, we'll just leave this message here as bait. :D

Brian

Yes, bait! So now that my esteemed peer and partner in crime - er, partner in Hazzard county business, is paying attention....

I propose a friendly little challenge here on the Forums between myself and MaryAnne. Nothing like the dire duels of the distant past where we tried to annihilate one another for sport. Though that always drew a crowd and we're probably not above mayhem if the occassion should call for it.

For now, though, I'm thinkin' more of a chase-and-race through the forums, that would pit each of us against each other and against the clock. Each of us would have to pay attention to what the other is doing, as well as do our best to confound each other.

For example, on Friday night, I'd leave 2 different messages in the Forums, and so would MaryAnne. By Saturday night, we'd each have to find and respond to the other's messages - plus each of us adds one entirely new message, elsewhere. So by Sunday, we'd each have three messages to find and respond to, and a fourth message to start. It would snowball until one of us found it impossible to keep up with and missed a message.

That's the basic idea. The messages/responses would have to be a minimum of one complete sentence.

Far as other rules....just like any event in Hazzard, we'd have to expect outside factors comin' into play. Which means if other folks respond to our posts, that's fine, that's what the Forums are for. MaryAnne and I still have to find each other's posts though, and leave a comment on that thread as well.

Also, things like computer crashes and net outages could happen to either of us. Just like how a car can break down in a race. If there's downtime caused by whatever factor, it doesn't stop the clock.

Only thing MaryAnne and I have to come to terms on, is how much time is allowed for the responses to be posted. 24 or 48 hours, ect. We would also have to agree to having a couple of neutral parties officiate the whole deal. We'd have to each pick 1 or 2 from whoever volunteered.

Finding neutral officials is gonna be tough, because I'm sure that everybody will be betting on me to win. :D

What say you, MaryAnne? You in? What terms?

And if MaryAnne accepts this challenge, are there any early volunteers for officiating this mess? It would require counting and tracking our posts, their locations, the time of original message and the response, ect. ( all times based on HNet time.)

Absolutely no cheating or "hints" to be given by the officials to the combatants - I mean, contestants. ( I can do my own cheating, thankyaverymuch......just kiddin'! )

Brian

Yes, bait! So now that my esteemed peer and partner in crime - er, partner in Hazzard county business, is paying attention....

I propose a friendly little challenge here on the Forums between myself and MaryAnne. Nothing like the dire duels of the distant past where we tried to annihilate one another for sport. Though that always drew a crowd and we're probably not above mayhem if the occassion should call for it.

Lord knows we've certainly pulled the audiences in the past!! ROFL

For now, though, I'm thinkin' more of a chase-and-race through the forums, that would pit each of us against each other and against the clock. Each of us would have to pay attention to what the other is doing, as well as do our best to confound each other.

You realize of course, I confound myself already... LOL

Finding neutral officials is gonna be tough, because I'm sure that everybody will be betting on me to win. :D

And everybody will be bettin on me to....lose?! :p

What say you, MaryAnne? You in? What terms?

And if MaryAnne accepts this challenge, are there any early volunteers for officiating this mess? It would require counting and tracking our posts, their locations, the time of original message and the response, ect. ( all times based on HNet time.)

Absolutely no cheating or "hints" to be given by the officials to the combatants - I mean, contestants. ( I can do my own cheating, thankyaverymuch......just kiddin'! )

Brian

I accept yer challenge! I ask that we have 48 hours to respond to posts.

Now...as Brian asked, any volunteers to be official score keepers? Anyone? Anyone? 8)

MaryAnne

48 hours. Hmm. Well, considerin' we each have other responsibilities, and duties here as well, I suppose that's reasonable. Besides, you type slow. :wink:

Doesn't look like anybody wants to get in the middle of this, though. No volunteers for referees. ( Given our last challenge of a couple years ago, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. But hey, we promised no violence this time. )

Brian

48 hours. Hmm. Well, considerin' we each have other responsibilities, and duties here as well, I suppose that's reasonable. Besides, you type slow. :wink:

Well, I have to type slow so you can keep up. :roll:

Doesn't look like anybody wants to get in the middle of this, though. No volunteers for referees. ( Given our last challenge of a couple years ago, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. But hey, we promised no violence this time. )

Brian

After those duals of the past we probably scared 'em all off! :wink:

MaryAnne

*Reaches under Game Warden's hat and scratches head.*

Well, I'd volunteer, but if I did the counting I'd have to take off my shoes to tally. It's kind of chilly this weekend. However if you really want me to... I got this weekend to spare, my convention plans got canceled. Yes, Smokey the Bear had to cancel his appearance due to an Asthma attack. Anywhoo, I get the concept here ya'll but I still have questions....

1) When do you start this little charade? Tonight? Tomorrow? Next week?

2) How would we tally this? Is it by response to the post or is it by number of posts?

3) Plus... what about by standards? Since those folks aren't involved couldn't they block your posts by posting to the first posts?

4) If someone is a referee can they post to one of the competitors posts?

5) Who killed Kenny? (Sorry got carried away)

I think "Committed" fits, yeah!

MaryAnne, as far as you typing slow so "I can keep up".... ha ha. Very amusin'. At least I can spell. ( "Dual" is like..two, and "Duel" is me shooting your fool head off. Maybe after I win, I can talk Meadowmufn into installing a Spellcheck in the Forums for ya.)

:D

Brian

No. Duel is ME shootin' yer fool head off. At least I know the difference between bad spelling and incorrect word usage. I didn't spell it wrong, I just used the wrong word.

:p

MaryAnne

No. Duel is ME shootin' yer fool head off. At least I know the difference between bad spelling and incorrect word usage. I didn't spell it wrong, I just used the wrong word.

Oh, you just used the wrong word. That's awright then. Nobody minds if ya use the wrong word. We won't get picky. THBTH! :p

Awright, Val asked about rules. Hmm....rules.... do we need any stinkin' rules?

Brian

And more importantly, whats the forum's policy on bribing judges? :wink:

*shrieks and grabs pigtails* Bribin' judges! Crickets and Crocs Doc... How could ya suggest something as despicable as that! This is Hazzard County home of good, law abiding citizens...

Oh wait... that's Walton Mountain... Never mind....

Bribing judges?! GAH! I can see with Brian's gentle influence we're gonna have to come up with some rules or we're gonna end up with a free-fer-all.

Of course, this place is already a free-fer-all. :)

Uh, okay I propose a few rules....

1. No bribing judges

2. No bribing contestents

3. No deleting of each other's posts (this applies to Brian, myself and Meadowmufn, who, frankly, could jump in on this thing and decide to mess with both of our heads. ROFL)

4. No malicious editing of each other's posts (let's face, we can malicious enough without having to mess with each other's words. ROFL)

Any others?

MaryAnne

MaryAnne, despite yer smarmy attitude, I find your rules reasonable enuff. I suggest we commence fire....I mean, start our contest tomorrow, on Saturday.

We start easy. 2 posts each, left in seperate places in the forums. We got 48 hours from the time of the respective posts, to remit a response to the enemy - um, opponent, and start a 3rd.

Only thing is, we gotta take our group of referees and split them up in respective ref teams.

Awright....choose sides! Lets see if this is even. Judges, refs, watchdogs and passerby, declare what contestant you're gonna monitor for!

(This outta be interesting, to see where loyalties shake out....) No matter what ref team you're on, though, you'll have to be impartial about making sure everything's played fair.

Brian