Allright, I guess I'll be the first to post here.

Eddiemunster

Certainly not! As a certified Coltrane I most definetly give a darn about the patrol cars....

....but I don't have one myself. LOL. However, I have seen, online, pics of restored Fury's gaining new life as replica HCSD cruisers. :)

Some have even been for sale on eBay. I think the patrol cars are starting to gain a little bit of ground in the resto area, followed by Daisy's Jeep.

Which, when ya think about it, makes sense. General Lee might get kinda lonely if that big ol' white Plymouth wasn't trying to nip it's tail. Khee!

As for the original question of people building a "Hazzard County" patrol car over the General Lee...I went to Duke fest this year and there was several built up patrol cars. There wasn't as much of Patrol cars as there were General Lees mind you, but there were a few of t hem out there. There was even a patrol car that someone had driven itself down there...it was funny to pass a Hazzard County patrol car on the highway itself. ;)

Yeah, I found it really awesome to be able to see a Hazzard County Sheriff's car driving down the high way! It surely isn't something I see everyday - though it wouldn't be such a bad thing if I were to see it everyday ;).

I also found it really cool to see the patrol cars at Duke fest...I expected the General Lees, but really didn't think about the patrol cars. There were only a few, but they were still there. :) As for the different models, I am not completely sure, but if you give me a day or two I can ask a friend of mine that was there...he would know that.

• 2 months later...

Y'all are forgeting one important reason why you don't see too many Hazzard Co. Sherriff car replicas. A lot of people are afraid to replicate patrol cars because of that "Impersonating a law officer" law. Even though it say "Hazzard County" on the side and it is fictous, it still resembles a police car. Now some pl;aces may go easy for the fact Rasco's car is fictious, but other places don't like the idea of mached up police cars.

I knew a guy that wanted to rerplicate the Ghost Busters "Ecto One" , but the local police gave him beef sayin` he could not put the bar lights on top of the car. Imagine the earful he would have gotten had he tried to moch up a Hazzard Co. Sherriff car.

However, y'all may get away with it if ya transport it in an inclosed trailer and only drive it at the show.

The guy ya saw driving the moch up of Rosco's car must 'ave had some right big cahones as to not get stopped. That or the police knew the car show was in town and the moch up was for the show.

TRULY YOURS: Skye

• 4 months later...

I am a former deputy sheriff, but not from Hazzard County. I would not worry too much about the "impersonation" problem, so long as you take a few basic steps. After all, I do not know too many people who will be spooked by seeing a 25-year-old police car on the road -- especially one with ancient Federal Twin-Sonic or 'bubble gum' light bars.

First, do not use a red or blue light on the roof -- unless it is covered. One hobbyist solves this problem by using a light bar with amber lenses on it until he gets to the "show" area. Then, after the car is off the public highway, he replaces them with blue lenses.

Second, use magnetic decals. An opposite of this is to use "blank" magnetic decals to cover up permanent ones while you are on the highway. In VA, it is illegal to have "Police" or "Sheriff" showing on the exterior of your car. I suppose a star or shield on the door is okay, so long as it does not contain a 'real' state seal or mention an authentic area agency.

Third, do not try to do any traffic stops, speed like crazy or intimidate any other motorists. They will call the real cops on you.

If a real cop sees you, just smile and wave. If they pull you over, they'll probably want to ask questions about your car. Be polite and two other things will work in your favor: Have a membership to some sort of police car restoration club. Have antique tags on the car, so they know it is not a daily driver.

Howdy there, welcome to HazzardNet!

Thank you for the good information. I've seen more and more Hazzard County patrol car replicas appearing at DukesFest shindigs. I've also seen some "Mayberry" units at various car shows. There's definately a growing interest in building these cars.

There's getting to be enough Hazzard County patrol cars out there, to have an entire "RoscoFest". Heh heh.

Brian

The first episode had a 1974 Dodge Monaco. Cooter flipped a 1970 Dodge Polara.

After that episode... 1975 AMC Matador, 1977 Dodge Monaco, and 1978 Plymouth Fury.

You know this would be a good trivia question, Deputy. =)

Yeah, the funny thing about that is; that car changed from a Monaco to a Polara in the middle of the chase. When you see the General Lee chasing it in that famous first scene where they both jump the knoll, it is a Monaco. It is still a Monaco for a few more scenes after that. Suddenly it changes to a Polara which is a completely different body-style (though still a C-body) and remains as a Polara until Cooter crashes it.

Musta been a "stunt-double" in the middle of the jump.

:wink:

LOL. That was the most obvious car switching scene I have seen on the Dukes of Hazzard; namely because the Monaco and Polara don't even share any body panels, like the difference between a Roadrunner and a Charger. The second most obvious was in the episode where Daisy's Roadrunner goes over the cliff (if I remember right), in a chase scene, the car switches back and forth between a '71 or '72 (the ones with the cool loop bumper) and a '73 or '74 (the ones with the regular bumper and boring grill). Then of course you had the scenes where the General Lee would change from a '69 to a '68 made to look like a '69; noticeable on the cars that they didn't bother to remove and fill the side marker lights/reflectors. Jesse's truck was constantly switching back and forth between a 6 foot and an 8 foot bed as well. That was one I could never figure out. Why switch the trucks? Jesse's truck was rarely used in stunts that could damage it. Come to think of it, Daisy's car was rarely damaged either, until they totalled it for good.

I've noticed a few of the switcheroos with the cars, but it sounds like you've got 'em all nailed. ( I never caught the one about the truck bed. ) But now that you've pointed it out, I'll be looking for it on the eps.

I'm not surprised that that the cars kept getting switched around with sloppy film editing, n' such. After all, they tried swapping Coy and Vance for Bo and Luke, and we weren't supposed to notice that, either.

Brian

• 1 month later...
The second most obvious was in the episode where Daisy's Roadrunner goes over the cliff (if I remember right), in a chase scene, the car switches back and forth between a '71 or '72 (the ones with the cool loop bumper) and a '73 or '74 (the ones with the regular bumper and boring grill).

I always can see the difference between '71 or '72 RoadRunners, seeing as how I own a 1971 Lemon Twist RoadRunner. The '71 has a completely black grille with the lights surrounded. '72 'Runners have a silver or black grille with a split in the middle (somewhat like a Charger). Daisy's car was a '71 for 20-something episodes, was a 74 for 10 or so.