To all who dislike the movie version...

Capt_Redneck

And want to continue to groan about this or that, I have 2 words for all ya'll .......I think you can actually figure them out if ya'll are smart enough.... :o

I understand about free speech and such and opinions. But I could care less anymore...

I am tired of people ripping apart the movie because it wasn't the Dukes they grew up with or they are used to, blah, blah blah... Oh well. Boo hoo....I am tired of people ripping apart a movie people worked hard on to show. Boycotts, protests, all that BS is BS........

Worse is that on another board there is a topic that the movie General Lee's are NOT legit General Lee's because they are different from the TV show. Even though the TV show GL's were different a whole lot of the time.....Give me a break with that...

Nobody told you to go see it. Many of you didn't and that was your choice. Many of you went. Some disappointed , some angry, some liked it. What is done is done and that is all there is to it.

There are some of us on here who actually liked the movie and liked the change of pace (although not condoning some of the stuff in the movie).. It was pure enjoyable entertainment for those of us that liked it.

There are a ton of TV shows that were turned into movies. Some worked, some didin't. Some were very forgettable ( MOD Squad, Car 54) some were better than the original show ( Addams Family) . Some had nothing to do with the TV series at all but in name only ( Mission Impossible ).For all the movie goers and purists of the original series , I am sure each movie had their pros and cons from there fans. But there are some of those fans that enjoyed the big screen versions of their favorite sereis. Does that make those "Die Hard" or "True Blue" fans of those shows any less of a fan for liking them? ......HELL NO.....

I'm gone

Darrell

While sitting in my favorite chair on my front porch watching my Confederate battle flag (yes to scale) mounted on the flag pole flap around in the cool morning (2am) breeze, I took a drink from the special home brew I recently purchased from a guy on a back woods road in Alabama. As I was beginning to feel the somewhat smooth but raw kick from the "strange brew" I read over your comments and two words quickly came to mind - Yeee Haaaaa!! After yelling this as loud as possible and throwing my hands up in the air I fell off my porch and broke my laptop, but heck it was worth it.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some people to realize that when you use a subject as a base for a new project, be it a tv show, movie, whatever.....you shouldn't jump so far off center of the original subject that the new project doesn't reflect any resemblance of the original. If an automobile maker, such as Dodge, tried to make a popular car like the Viper into a less expensive model that was front wheel drive, had 4 doors and looked alot like a minivan, they didn't stay true to the original and just because they might call it a Dodge Viper, have they really made the right decision? This movie by itself might be a good movie. They didn't really need to call it the Dukes of Hazzard. Personally I think they should have called it Jerry Springer's American Jackass: Hillbillies Gone Wild. I don't care how you justify liking this disrespectful movie, it's not the Dukes of Hazzard.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some people to realize that when you use a subject as a base for a new project, be it a tv show, movie, whatever.....you shouldn't jump so far off center of the original subject that the new project doesn't reflect any resemblance of the original. If an automobile maker, such as Dodge, tried to make a popular car like the Viper into a less expensive model that was front wheel drive, had 4 doors and looked alot like a minivan, they didn't stay true to the original and just because they might call it a Dodge Viper, have they really made the right decision? This movie by itself might be a good movie. They didn't really need to call it the Dukes of Hazzard. Personally I think they should have called it Jerry Springer's American Jackass: Hillbillies Gone Wild. I don't care how you justify liking this disrespectful movie, it's not the Dukes of Hazzard.

I guess you weren't "smart" enough to figure the 2 words :wink: .......

I DON"T understand why it is so hard to accept that some people LIKED this movie as it was. Personally it WAS "The Dukes Of Hazzard"..

Oh well can't please everyone.... :roll:

I'm gone

Darrell

Hey "Cedar_Creek_Duke", that's a very good point that you made there. There was nothing in this new movie that was even close to resembling anything from the original series except for the General Lee. I accept the fact that some people liked the movie. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a franchise that's as big as 'The Dukes of Hazzard' should have had a film made that resembled the original better. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the new movie, I just see something else on the screen when I watch it because to me, it just doesn't have half of the heart and soul that the original series had. It's not even close.

GADuke01

Who said it had to be close to what was on the TV series? .....It was somebody's interpretation of the Dukes.

The movie , as I have said since I saw it, is a mix of Moonrunners - Smokey & The Bandit - first 5 GA episodes of the Dukes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey "GADuke01", I see on few other Dukes boards that someone you know referred to it as Moonrunners 2005. That is what I have said since it came out. Too bad you never seen it , then maybe you would get an idea of it then.

And as far as your posts on the other boards if the movie GL's are "legit" , you are joking right? :lol:

I'm gone

Darrell

Your statement explains why so many of us feel the way we do about the movie. If you thought it was "Moonrunners 2005" since it came out, then maybe they should have called it that. Honestly, if you think about it, it seems redundant to make a movie based on a tv show that was based on a movie. It seems to me, Warner Bro's should have just made this film 25 years ago and then made the tv show because they really just went about it the wrong way. We all know that couldn't have happened though, but it does make more sense. Sure, the Dukes was based loosely on the Moonrunners movie, but I think it's an improvement otherwise it wouldn't have been so much more popular than the movie. No one outside of the Hazzard community and probably a lot within don't even know the Dukes was based on that movie. So, to me it doesn't make sense to step backwards in the new Dukes movie to try and bring it into the present world.

"Capt_Redneck", well, if the movie was a mix of 'Moonrunners' and 'Smokey & the Bandit', then why even called it 'The Dukes of Hazzard'? Why do you think Pontiac's new GTO flopped when it hit the showroom floors? Basically, because there wasn't anything about the new car that even came close to resembling any of the past GTOs. The same exact thing happened with 'The Dukes of Hazzard' movie. Instead of producing a film with the heart and soul of the original series, for some reason they decided to change everything and degrade the characters that were already established. Die-hard fans of the original series expected to see 'The Dukes of Hazzard' when they went to the theatres, but instead, they got something totally different.

GADuke01

The fans hoped to see something they hadn't seen come out of Hollywood in years. We wanted that familiar feeling, which we haven't had since 1985. Ironically, they instead tried to "update" it by filling it with tired old dirty jokes, Southern stereotypes, worn out old sex jokes, and ended up alienating most fans, and all kids--a huge part of their potential audience. Basically, they gave us the same old crap they keep churning out for years, only this time it was dressed in the Dukes of Hazzard clothes. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next five to ten years we see the same movie repeated, stripped of the car chases, and titled "Three's Company," or they'll throw in some palm trees and call it "Gilligan's Island." The point is, their attempt to freshen up something from the past turned it into something we're tired of. We like the show because it was unique, not because it can be forcibly jammed into the Super Troopers genre. They cut out the uniqueness, and filled the gaps with leftover Super Troopers/Club Dredd scraps.

It's like having a kid draw up the Mona Lisa with crayons and then putting it on display in the Louvre. It's fine to share it with the public, but don't pass it off as "The Mona Lisa," just call it what it is, "Billy's Art Project."

"Capt_Redneck", well, if the movie was a mix of 'Moonrunners' and 'Smokey & the Bandit', then why even called it 'The Dukes of Hazzard'? Why do you think Pontiac's new GTO flopped when it hit the showroom floors? Basically, because there wasn't anything about the new car that even came close to resembling any of the past GTOs. The same exact thing happened with 'The Dukes of Hazzard' movie. Instead of producing a film with the heart and soul of the original series, for some reason they decided to change everything and degrade the characters that were already established. Die-hard fans of the original series expected to see 'The Dukes of Hazzard' when they went to the theatres, but instead, they got something totally different.

GADuke01

That is my point. People expecting the movie to be like the TV and it wasn't....Thank God......

I say screw the heart and soul. The movie was everything the TV show wasn't. A lot of people liked that idea. They wanted a fresh take. I am damn glad the movie went in the direction it did. I wish the TV series did that too, but it didn't. In my opinion , the movie was everything I wished the TV show could have been.

Why call it something different? It is called the Dukes Of Hazzard. It had the GL and all the characters :D

As far as the Pontiac GTO..You are kidding right? Pontiac slapped the GTO nameplate on an Australian car that was in production fro a few years and imported it to the US. It flopped because it wasn't done from scratch. That is why Ford totally redid the Mustang from the ground up and look at it now, it is a HUGE hit. Maybe GM should have taken a cue from Ford on that. Although it didn't work so good for the T-bird , but they tried.

I'm gone

Darrell

Your statement explains why so many of us feel the way we do about the movie. If you thought it was "Moonrunners 2005" since it came out, then maybe they should have called it that. Honestly, if you think about it, it seems redundant to make a movie based on a tv show that was based on a movie. It seems to me, Warner Bro's should have just made this film 25 years ago and then made the tv show because they really just went about it the wrong way. We all know that couldn't have happened though, but it does make more sense. Sure, the Dukes was based loosely on the Moonrunners movie, but I think it's an improvement otherwise it wouldn't have been so much more popular than the movie. No one outside of the Hazzard community and probably a lot within don't even know the Dukes was based on that movie. So, to me it doesn't make sense to step backwards in the new Dukes movie to try and bring it into the present world.

Why? "Moonrunners" is and will always be a part of Dukes history, no matter what. It wasn't as loosely based as you think it was. "True" Dukes fans should know or have seen "Moonrunners" anyway.

The movie made sense to me to bring an update to it. And it did in way I had wished the TV series had been.

You see if the Dukes didn't go to the family style show we all know after they went to "Hollyweird" after the GA episodes, it might have been a totally different series. That is what I wanted the movie to be and it was.

I'm gone

Darrell

"Capt_Redneck", you keep bringing up the first 5 episodes of 'The Dukes of Hazzard' that were filmed in Georgia. In my opinion, those are by far the best episodes of the entire seven season run. Still, those episodes are a far cry from what's seen in the '05 movie. Sure, those episodes were a little rougher with a "damn" here and "jackass" there, but I still don't think you can compare those episodes with the '05 movie. The '05 movie was 'The Dukes of Hazzard' by name only. Did Jesse smoke any dope or make any lewd comments in those first 5 episodes? I don't think so. Did Bo ever insinuate that he wanted to have sex with the General Lee? I must have missed all that. However, if you can find that in any of that in the first 5 episodes, please let everyone know.

As far as your comment stating that any "true" fan would have seen 'Moonrunners'. Well, that isn't necessarily true. I know lots of 'Dukes' that haven't seen the film, but are aware of the movie. It's not like the film is a big-screen classic sitting dvd retailers shelves. Jo McLaney, for instance, she's in her 70s and is a huge 'Dukes' fan and has been ever since the show first shot there in her hometown back in 1978. Has she seen 'Moonrunners'? No. Does she want to see 'Moonrunners'? I don't know. This is about 'The Dukes of Hazzard', not 'Moonrunners'. Sure, I know that you're going to say that there would never have been a 'Dukes' had there not been a 'Moonrunners' first, which is true,. Still, I, like a lot of other people, grew up on 'The Dukes of Hazzard', not 'Moonrunners'. Although the two are very similar, they're not the same.

The comparison that I made with the '04-'06 GTO is right on line with why the '05 'Dukes' fell way short of expectations. As a matter of fact, up 'til about a year ago, I used to work at my cousin's Pontiac dealership. It has never been a secret that the current GTO is actually a Holden Monaro that has been tweaked slightly and given a Pontiac "look". When GM was on the verge of bringing the car to market, they said that the design is what the GTO would have looked like had it evolved beyond the '74 model year. They went on to say that this was a modern interpretation of the "first" musclecar. Well, that as we all know, just didn't fly and the car has been a major disappointment. No matter how good the build-quality and performance is, people still don't see a GTO when they look at this current car. We went to GM seminars and GM actually stated that they should have went with a design that had more "heritage" in it. They realized that they messed up and hopefully, they will get it right the next time around. This is the same thing that happened with 'The Dukes of Hazzard' in '05. They attempted to update the franchise and change things too much in the new movie. Read "Dale the Bold's" post again on this topic. He was right on the money with his comments.

In closing, I have one question. "Capt_Redneck", are you a "true" fan?

GADuke01

Out of all this discussion, I think what this all boils down to is "moral character". If you have that you understand why the change for the movie was bad. You understand that the original show was based on family values and moral judgment. You understand that the Duke family stood for what was right and by right I mean what was the moral thing to do. The tv show took the direction it did because of the audiance that it attracted and that was the millions of families that crouded around the TV every Friday night to watch Bo, Luke and the General outrun Roscoe, Enos and Boss. I believe with all my heart that the actors realized who watched their show and even though critics didn't like it and even Warner Bro's didn't like it, they were all proved wrong by us, the fans, the kids, the moms and dads, uncles and aunts, grandpas and grandmas, whites, blacks, asians, europeans, russians, japanese and whoever watched and still watches the original show. Every person who really got what this show was about is the reason why it's still so popular today. Obviously there are those of you who don't really get what this show is about and that's why you support this film and franlkly it's sad that you have to be spoon-fed your entertainment choices. There are a million movies like this new "Dukes" movie. I don't even like calling it that. Show me something in this movie that you haven't seen in a movie before? Now, take the original Dukes of Hazzard and show me another show like that? Give me another example of high flying fast family fun where a whole family can sit down and share in the enjoyment of the TRUE spirit of the Dukes of Hazzard. They sure didn't accomplish that in the new movie. I wouldn't let any child watch that. I had a hard time sitting through it. My wife wouldn't watch it because of the language. It only take a few people like those of you who support something like this to ruin a good thing for a lot of people and that's what has happened here. They ruined the movie. Thank God they can't touch the show because it is what it is and will always be that. I claim a part of the Dukes of Hazzard. It is a part of who I am and there is no part of that movie that I claim or want a part of. Hollywood is a minority. They made this film for themselves. They made this film to make money. They made this film to milk as much money as they could on something they really have no true intrest in. They don't care about the Dukes of Hazzard. They don't care about anything but ticket sales and DVD sales. If it were the opposite, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. In contrast, take Dukesfest for example. Sure, you have to pay to get in. You pay a lot for souveniers and stuff like that. You have to face the fact that it takes a lot of money to put on something like that. BUT, I truely feel that they do it because they care about what we want as fans. They want to extend a handshake to those of us who gave them the opportunity to have the careers that they have. They want to say thank you by giving back a little of their time so that we can enjoy the memories we had growing up with them on our TV sets every Friday. They recognize that as fans we see them as part of our family and they embrace that fact. Those of us who love this show as it was and as it is are all a part of Hazzard County and I thank them for letting us be a part of that as well. Don't let Hollywood tell you what to like. Don't let Hollywood spoon-fead you trash. Be true to the real reason we had this movie, the reason we are writing on this webpage, the reason we buy DVDs of the complete seasons, video games, t-shirts, die-cast cars, and all the other stuff we have bought for almost 25 years. Be true to the Dukes of Hazzard and it will be true to you.

The new GTO is the "updated" version. In other words, it's the same car they've been making under a different name for years, just now wearing GTO badges. Why is the new Mustang popular? Not because they revamped it, because they gave it an uncanny resemblance to the classic. They correctly brought back the classic, and therefore made it worthy of the classic name.

If the decisions they made in the movie were the right ones, why wasn't it the number two movie this summer? With a fan base like the Dukes of Hazzard has, a movie under that name should have came in just behind Star Wars.

Instead, we got Super Troopers 2: Cops vs. General Lee, under the name of The Dukes of Hazzard. Same old stuff Hollywood's been pooping out for years, but now wearing a classic name. The reason we're disappointed is that there was such a perfect opportunity, and they blew it. I actually compare it to the new "Dodge Charger," which bears the classic name, but shares little else in common with the real thing.

The other thing the fans are disappointed with are the worn-out jokes and old gags that really play down to the audience. It would be like a comedian going up to the microphone and going "why did the chicken cross the road?..." It plays down to the audience. There may have been a few guys rolling around between the theater aisles saying "ha ha, he's smoking pot!" but the rest of us are just offended that the filmmakers assumed we were all like that guy. To make it worse, if you tell that guy that it really wasn't funny, he gets angry and slips some vulgarity into his two word reply, and tells you not to share your opinion.

I say lets forget about this Dukes "Movie" and demand a decent sequel to the Smokey and the Bandit series - Maybe have Cheech and Chong driving the Trans-Am and Truck. They can be hauling a load of illegal drugs from the Mexico/Texas border to the Atlanta area. - The plot centers around will they be able to deliver the goods before smoking them up! To keep some of the "Dukes movie fans" happy we can have a Confederate flag (instead of the bird) painted on the hood of the Trans-Am. Lets fill the soundtrack full of 70's pot-heat stoner music. And don't forget the profanity - to boost the movies' appeal we will need plenty of it! Toss in the F word a few times with some sexual jokes / nudity and we have the next Hollywood blockbuster!

Lets get the movie out by next summer and have the dvd out in time for Cristmas to cash in on the additional $$$$$$. :D

Read "Dale the Bold's" post again on this topic. He was right on the money with his comments.

In closing, I have one question. "Capt_Redneck", are you a "true" fan?

GADuke01

GADuke01

First of all who says Dale's comments are right on the money . a selct few on here?......He might be "right on the money " for you, but not to me.

Why don't you answer the question you posed for me...Am I a "True" fan? .. I would love to hear your answer.... :wink:

I'm gone

Darrell

I say lets forget about this Dukes "Movie" and demand a decent sequel to the Smokey and the Bandit series - Maybe have Cheech and Chong driving the Trans-Am and Truck. They can be hauling a load of illegal drugs from the Mexico/Texas border to the Atlanta area. - The plot centers around will they be able to deliver the goods before smoking them up! To keep some of the "Dukes movie fans" happy we can have a Confederate flag (instead of the bird) painted on the hood of the Trans-Am. Lets fill the soundtrack full of 70's pot-heat stoner music. And don't forget the profanity - to boost the movies' appeal we will need plenty of it! Toss in the F word a few times with some sexual jokes / nudity and we have the next Hollywood blockbuster!

Lets get the movie out by next summer and have the dvd out in time for Cristmas to cash in on the additional $$$$$$. :D

That I like......Although Cheech is a little too old now, Tommy Chong still looks OK though. I will get back to you on who should be cast.. :wink:

Be careful with what you wish for. It just might be out in 06 or 07.....

Ironically , I had a a mag (Car Craft , Hot Rod, not really sure) that had a T/A with the bird as a Confederate Flag. It looked good on a white car...

I'm gone

Darrell

Out of all this discussion, I think what this all boils down to is "moral character". If you have that you understand why the change for the movie was bad. You understand that the original show was based on family values and moral judgment. You understand that the Duke family stood for what was right and by right I mean what was the moral thing to do.

So essentially you are saying I have no more "Moral Character" for liking and supporting the movie?.

I know what the TV show was built upon. But thank you for the history lesson. It is much appreciated.....

I'm gone

Darrell

"Capt_Redneck", that's a real nice avatar you have there! :lol: I must say that it didn't surprise me. I was expecting something like that from you sooner or later. How old are you? Things like that have absolutely no place on message boards such as this one. I'm surprised that the moderators of this board actually allow that kind of stuff to be posted. Hey, I've got an idea, since you like the new 'Dukes' movie so much, why don't you start up your own little 'Dukes '05' website and then, you can post all of the obscene gestures that you want.

As for your question about "Dale the Bold's" comments, you're right. I do agree with him. "Cedar_Creek_Duke" also made some good points in his post. How many other people agree with their opinions regarding the '05 'Dukes' movie? I 'm not certain on that, but I would be willing to bet that the majority of 'Dukes' would agree with the comments that both "Dale the Bold" and "Cedar_Creek_Duke" made. It seems like if people don't agree with you and your opinion of the '05 'Dukes' movie, you start ranting and raving saying things like "I've got two words for all of you people who don't like the new movie!" Well, what are those two words? You might as well say it since you've already posted a symbol that represents what those "two wordsare." After seeing your avatar, it's quite apparent as to why you would like the '05 movie so much. Your actions are right in line with everything that was bad about the new movie. To answer your question as to whether or not I consider you "true" 'Dukes' fan well sir, I've got "two words" for you..., heck no!

By the way, did you have a chance to look back at those first 5 episodes and find any scenes where Jesse smoked dope or made any lewd comments? How about Bo in those first 5 episodes? Have you found any scenes where he insinuates that he wants to have sex with the General Lee? Like I said in my previous post, be sure to let us know if you find any of this in those first 5 episodes.

Take it easy!

GADuke01

I guess I am not a "true" Dukes fan according to GADuke01 and probably a few others on here because I am PRO movie.......Boohoo, my feelings are hurt. :cry:

I AIN"T leaving this site no time soon. I will continue to do what I have been doing as ya'll have in putting down the movie . Like I said in previous posts and threads, I respect the opinions and don't question them at all. That is your right. I , however, disagree with the points that have come out of some of them especially the boycott and protests and such.

It seems that a "true" Dukes fan can't like the new movie according to some.

Tell me where I have ever posted that the first 5 GA episodes had any of the bad stuff. I HAVEN"T. Now Smokey & The Bandit has and that is where the comparison was if you read it. the movie was cross between Moonrunners - S&TB- first 5 GA shows..

IF you have watched Smokey & The Bandit there is a scene towards the end where Sheriff Justice is pulled over and is berated by a trooper and then Ol' Buford starts to beliitle him back and after the apologies he says he has 2 words for him(an air horn sounds but you can read his lips).

What is wrong with my avatar? Just because you don't like the movie doesn't mean you have to beliittle it. :wink:

Later, my son.....

Things like that have absolutely no place on message boards such as this one. I'm surprised that the moderators of this board actually allow that kind of stuff to be posted

AAAAHHH!! GADuke, don't bring me into this one.

Only thing I'll add to this debate - before running like hell - is that the DVD doesn't exactly seem to be selling like hotcakes. Despite CMT's banner ads for OBSCENITY NUDITY DRUG USE . I think this lil' marketing plan is blowin' up in somebody's face.

Why didn't they just promote the theatre version of the flick, and hype on what worked the best - namely the stunts? I don't get it. You'd think WB was out to prove they could really make this worse.

Brian

"Capt_Redneck", my statement about you not being a "true" 'Dukes' fan is not based on the fact that you like the '05 movie. I'm simply basing it on your comments about how you dislike the original series so much (with the exception of the first 5 epsiodes).

One thing's for sure. There's gonna be different opinions on everything, not just the '05 'Dukes' movie. Just because there's a difference in opinions, it doesn't justify bashing other people for voicing their opinions just because you don't agree with them. Not once have I posted any negative remarks about you. Nor have I posted any obscenities towards you. I think it's fine that you like the '05 movie and I respect your opinion. I don't, however, respect the route you decided to take while stating your opinion. The profane gestures and sarcastic remarks, in my opinion, were totally uncalled for.

Also, "Brian Coltrane", I do want to apologize to you for getting you involved in this.

Take it easy!

GADuke01