Supernatural

Brian Coltrane

I started watching this show because of the '67 Impala in it. I got some bias there. But I've been pleased to find that this show is very well-written, and chock-full of tension, surprise, and drama.

The central characters, Sam and Dean, are two brothers who roam the country in a vintage Chevy, on an endless mission to disrupt evil phenomena wherever it may lurk. Sam, the younger brother, is a boyish youth recently jaded by loss, but not quite over his ideals yet. Dean is the older, protective brother who's been jaded a lot longer than Sam. Together, they remind me of the dark Dukes of suburbia.

For those of you who've never seen the show, let me paint a brief picture of what these two modern-day exorcists do. Last episode, they returned to their haunted childhood home to fight a Lurking Evil that threatens the new homeowner. ( A helpless blonde single mother of two. What nice boys. ) Anyway, after things like knives flying out of the kitchen drawer and furniture moving around on it's own - Sam becomes trapped in the house by Something Evil that is trying to kill him.

Dean, locked outside, runs to the trunk of the Impala and grabs nothing less than a sawed-off shotgun and an axe, and hacks his way through the front door in a desperate fury to save his brother.

A shotgun and an axe. YEEEHAAAA!! Now that's entertainment.

Man, the Dukes only had compound bows and hunting knives. If Bo and Luke had this trunkful of artillery in the General Lee, ol' Rosco woulda kept his distance.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with everything you said about Supernatural. I started watching it because the premise seemed interesting but now I am totally hooked. If not for the spook factor but also for the intersting twists and turns in the mystery of their father.

The eye candy aspect is quite nice too! It makes the show REALLY easy to watch! LOL! :p

The last episode was especially creepy!

For those of you who've never seen the show, let me paint a brief picture of what these two modern-day exorcists do. Last episode, they returned to their haunted childhood home to fight a Lurking Evil that threatens the new homeowner. ( A helpless blonde single mother of two. What nice boys. ) Anyway, after things like knives flying out of the kitchen drawer and furniture moving around on it's own - Sam becomes trapped in the house by Something Evil that is trying to kill him.

Dean, locked outside, runs to the trunk of the Impala and grabs nothing less than a sawed-off shotgun and an axe, and hacks his way through the front door in a desperate fury to save his brother.

A shotgun and an axe.

Brian

Your description was more entertaining than that actual episode,imo.

Read somewhere no more new episodes until Janurary?!

Daney

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok... I've been sort of following this show as well. It's got two hot guys, plots that sell suspense and a kicking classic car, (not to metion it's a chevy). What else could a gal ask for on a Tuesday night?

The question I have as a fan fic writer here on Hnet is this. Who the heck is wire tapping mine and my friends computers?!

I don't know if anyone else saw last night's episode but there was a character on there with Dean and Sam that could have been a compound of two fan fic created characters that run around Hnet! I'm not going to drop names or anything, but if you watched the show and saw the character you'd know what people I'm talking about!

There was a moment where that character had hand cuffed Dean and I was like... 'Ok... this is too freaky!'

Is it just me or are we being spied on? Is WB reading Hazzardnet and getting inspiration?

Val

Val, there has been some....supernatural coincidence, in some respects. There are a handful of people who probably see the similarities. Some of those similarities, though, are like a fry pan over the head.

In fact, last week's episode was a cross between "Daisy's Shotgun Wedding" and the ol' classic flick, "Deliverance." Imagine the Beaudry's from Dukes of Hazzard as being cannibalistic manhunters for sport. THEN ya start gettin' the picture. In fact, the Evil Patriarch Hillbilly on last week's Supernatural ep, could have been the evil impersonation of a certain uncle in Hazzard County...

130314249.jpg

And if these two bad ol' boys are cousins, we're better off not knowing...

130314151.jpg

Fun, eh? You know what was cool about this ep, is there weren't any evil spirts, there were no ghosts, no demons. It was just the Winchester boys against some psychotic, murderous, fun-lovin' hillbillies. Oh, but the good guys had some help. There was this female deputy in this small town, ya see....

130314071.jpg

130314453.jpg

There were definately some moments that felt familair between certain characters. I guess when you boil it all down, the coincidences are fun to entertain.

130322901.jpg

(photos as found on supernatural.tv )

Yes Brian... you summed that episode up good. Now I see the WB is moving supernatural from Tuesday to Thursday. Guess where the time slot is, uh huh... ya'll guessed it, right after Smallville. Funny how alot of us Duke fans are Smallville watchers and SN watchers as well... Hhhhhmm... I think I'm starting to get goose bumps here. Alright, what were the people at WB thinking now? Is this just another random event that just happened to be or is there something to this? True, Beauty and the Geek was at the end of it's season because of the contest being over and they needed a fill in, but why SN? Is WB actually spying on us...?

Ok... as a 'fun' and friendly test of the almighty WB powers, I issue this 'challenge' to the people creating Supernatural and that might be spying on us. I will officially freak out if I see John Schneider appear on a Supernatural episode.

If it happens, I will be convinced that we are being spied on. Plus, it would be nice to see John on the small screen again, now that he's not doing the Johnathan Kent thing anymore. Anywho...

Alright... 'Almighty WB', show us what you're made of? I scoff at thee... *scoff, scoff, scoff*... (ok, I'm just getting carried away here now, but think about my proposal here, wouldn't it be interesting?)

So wether this happens or not... It would be fun to test this hypothesis.

Val

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's an Impala, not a Chevelle, but yeah....nothin' like smackin' it broadside with a semi to trash a classic car. Bastards. I'm really hoping they used a model for filming that, but the scene happened so fast I couldn't really tell.

Looks like Supernatural will be back for a second season this fall. Season 1 will be coming out on DVD in a few months too.

• 4 months later...

Ok, anyone see the season opener of SN? Wow! There were too many tense moments in that ep. but who would ever thought that the dad scarifices himself for his son? Plus, how cute was Dean in those jammies!

Just for fun, I'd love to see a show of hands girls on how many of us wanted to tear that t-shirt off of Dean? *Raises hand high*

The drama, the suspence and the Ouija board?

I love the slumber party comment, reminded me of someone else who might say that if he was in Dean's predictament.

Well, I can't wait to see what's up with the new season, new episode this Thursday guys and gals!

Valerie M. Strate

I saw the season premiere last week. Yeah, it was heavy, tense and about as melodramatic as it gets. I mean, not every father would sacrifice himself to a demon lord to save his son's life.

The episode gave a nod to it's borrowing from the movie "Ghost" , when Dean, in spirit-form, bashes a glass to smithereens and then goes, "I totally Swayze'd that sucker!"

And was it just me, or was that Reaper chick and her calm pleadings for Dean to cross over, like he was supposed to, the most blood-curdling, spookiest thing in the whole ep? AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

This was great writing. So much for the hooded reaper with the scythe; here we see a manifestation of Death that is alluring, understanding...and acting in the best interest of the dying. She tells Dean that he must cross over, though she can't tell him what awaits on the other side. When Dean remains stubborn, she warns him that if he chooses to remain behind, he'll die all the same, and his spirit will go mad, trapped on an earth he can no longer interact with. He risks becoming an angry, twisted spirit...becoming that which he has hunted.

The coldness of Death is also put very bluntly. Dean protests that his brother will die without him. The Reaper doesn't change her expression, and simply answers, "Maybe he will. Maybe he won't. " While she is understanding, there is a limit to the compassion, and Dean's personal thoughts on dying won't change What Is To Be.

Eventually we see Dean's fear getting the best of him. He's starting to succumb, he's looking afraid and helpless, and he turns to the Reaper as if to finally submit to his fate....

And then ....well, really, you should watch this show!

On other topics, I'm gratified that Sam insisted on "fixing the Impala." Yay! On a Supernatural message board, I saw the car referenced as "another main character of the show." Heh heh.

Hey Val, you really like Dean there, don't ya ? Admit it, you love him for his car....

Can't wait to see more creepy @#$& on this week's episode!

Brian

On a total aside, I don't think much of The WB becoming "The New CW." I realize this is a result of a WB and CBS station fornication, but dammit! I've never seen so many commercials during a 1 hr program in my life.

And when a show as tense and edgy as Supernatural is interrupted every seven minutes, with five minutes of commercials ( half of them being for other CW shows) ...it's as aggravating as all get-out.

Note to any lurking WB/CBS folks, I know you're out there...

The CW SUCKS!!! Clean up the commecial interruptions. Man, I used to think the old PAX-TV stations were bad.

Why don't you just make a Commercial Channel? I'm serious, all commercials, all the time, why dink around? You could have the "Best of Detergent" commercial hour, followed by "Franchise Restaurant Commercial Awards, 2006." And not to forget, "Retro Commercial Classics." Everything from the smarmy Little Ceasar's Pizza and Wendy's commercials of the 80's ( Where's the beef? ) to the old classic black-and-whites.

Of course, that's just perversely clever enough to be successful, which means ya won't do it. THHBPTH!!! :p

Brian

Hey Val, you really like Dean there, don't ya ? Admit it, you love him for his car....

Dang right! It's all about the Chevys baby! *laughs*

Now if only he gets a pigtailed girl friend that drives a dark green Chevelle, that would be cool. *chuckles*

The fun thing about this show is it can go where ever the writers want it to. There are no real bounds or limits with their creativity on this one and the audience has no preconceived notions as to what exactly is going to happen next. The writers to this show are obviously very talented and give the viewer some familiarity on ghosts and demons, from prior shows or common wive's tale knowledge about specters but still there are new things that they put in there to twist it up and make the show refreshing and cool.

Well, I really look forward to seeing more and watching on Thursday.

Val

In addition to giving credit for some great writing on this show - we have to give credit to the actors, too. I remarked early on that Sam and Dean were not unlike an urban, edgy, Bo and Luke, in some respects. (though in a far more serious environment.)

In a nutshell, there's good chemistry in Supernatural and the characters are believable as family members.

My main concern for this show - is that it could write itself into a corner by spending so much of its good stuff early.

At the end of Season One, we saw the Impala get T-boned by a semi truck, and at the opener of Season Two, we saw Dean nearly die, and not for the first time in the series. ( though by far this was the most dramatic and closest near-miss yet.)

There's only so many ways you can bash up the car and have it plausibly fixed. Only so many times you can almost kill a character. Supernatural entertains with shock and surprise, but all the big-ticket eeks are getting used up fast. ( I'm sure Sam will have his turn flirting with oblivion for the Season Two cliffhanger.)

Another challenge is maintaining the continuity. Supernatural has done an effective job of keeping things fresh while having a progressive order to the episodes. Sooner or later though, either the Objective Is Met , or too many complications occur and storylines fragment on the least tangent. (I think Smallville is guilty of the latter, IMO.) Continuity is a double-edged sword, which may explain why something as light as Dukes of Hazzard was wise to avoid it.

Awright, I'm done analyzing this for awhile. Meadowmufn's gonna think I'm bucking for a moderator job over at the Supernatural site.

Brian

Just a quick comment on last week's episode. It was fun seeing the brothers Winchester return to Wisconsin. Guess there's some continuity right there, as this was their 3rd visit to the Weirdness State.

I'm serious, WI is weird, and it would make a perfect home base of sorts. (Hell, the X-files pemiere episode took place in Wisconsin.) Ghost stories come out of WI by the score; numerous books have been written on paranormal subjects there. Everything in WI is haunted. It's an accepted fact of life. If you ask people in WI if they believe in ghosts, not only will they say, "yes," but they'll tell you about the ones that they personally know.

Anyhow - the tavern that the Winchesters visited wasn't clearly defined as being in WI. But while there, they described a certain WI town as "not being far from here." I'm just curious about that tavern location, though, as it would explain the guy with the mullet haircut who was sleeping on the pool table.

All in all, it was another tension-filled episode, being the creepier for the Evil Clown gig. Cheesy as that sounds, they did a great job with it.

My only disappointment in the show, was in the insane number of commericials. And now, excuse me while I speak directly to the Spirts Which Haunt this forum....

HEY! THE CW STILL SUCKS!! But I have to give ya this much, the first 1/2 of the show wasn't interrupted as bad. So we got to see things unfold and get settled with the mood. In the last 20 minutes or so, however - particularily in the last 1/4 hour - the commercials buried the show. There was no progam. And what the hell is the point of so many commercials for other CW shows, while interrupting the current program to do it? That's redundant. What makes you think I'm going to watch another CW show after choking on all the commercials in my favorite program? I'd rather eat fire ants. You know the message I'm REALLY getting from your commercials, is that there's too many of them!

CW, do more internet advertising where people can click to see a brief sample of a show in your new lineup. You could also track the interest better. And online, instead of a commercial, it becomes free entertainment. Take a page out of the iTunes book and let people browse your programs, see clips, and get details. You'll save valuable airtime. Instead of trying to promote umpteen shows during a show, you only need to promote your website. I know you guys are listening, so take this as constructive feedback. Thank ya.

Brian

HEY CW !!

The commercial balance was better on tonight's Supernatural ep! I'm serious. It's the most reasonable in spacing and duration that I've seen since the new season begain.

And now, concerning the usual babble. It was sweet to see that Impala back. Nice pick on the songs, too. "Wheel in the Sky" and "Back in Black." Very appropriate.

Anybody else waiting for Dean to explode from angst? I think this Unresolved Grief thing is gonna lead somewhere bad. Also dug the moral paradox with the advesarial hunter. As if the brothers Winchester didn't have enough enemies.

Oh, on an side...I got the Supernatural Season One DVD set for my birthday. Just with what I've seen so far, it's well worth the purchase for any SuperNatural fan. Yeeehaaaaa.

Brian