Hello from NW Georgia

floyd012010

Hello from the south, been a long time dukes fan for over 40 years now and still love the show. Been to most all the Georgia filming sites with other dukes fans and have owned my old charger since 1999. Had the uniform on it for over 10 years and had to do a re paint in 2012. It is still hemi orange but with a black R/T stripe and magnum 500 wheels. 493 ci with a 4 speed, has plenty of attitude for a resto looking charger. 

16 hours ago, floyd012010 said:

Hello from the south, been a long time dukes fan for over 40 years now and still love the show. Been to most all the Georgia filming sites with other dukes fans and have owned my old charger since 1999. Had the uniform on it for over 10 years and had to do a re paint in 2012. It is still hemi orange but with a black R/T stripe and magnum 500 wheels. 493 ci with a 4 speed, has plenty of attitude for a resto looking charger. 

Welcome to Hazzard! We hope you love it here and will stay a while..............NOW!   Now that,  that's out of the way and we're family ....I'm jealous! Why can't I get a General for myself????  :) 

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

As I mentioned in another thread it is so cool to have you here. 

When they were trying to avoid tearing down the original farmhouse we had the grandson of the farm owner here on HN keeping us updated. How far are you from the original farm.? Any chance of seeing a picture of your car? 

I am not so good with technology but I will try and see if I can post a pic of the charger. I am about 2 hrs from covington and Conyers.  Me and a friend used to go down there at least once a year but he moved so I haven't been in a few years. 

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

When they were trying to avoid tearing down the original farmhouse we had the grandson of the farm owner here on HN keeping us updated. How far are you from the original farm.? Any chance of seeing a picture of your car? 

I tried to upload a pic but it said it was too big. I will have to see if I can resize it somehow

1 hour ago, Garrett Duke said:

Welcome to Hazzardnet Floyd. It's great to meet you and get to know you. I'd love to live in Georgia...thanks to the Dukes, plus it's gotta be warmer than Iowa. I've always dreamt of living there, but probably live the rest of my days in boring old Iowa. LOL. And you got a General Lee? How cool is that?! 

I have had the charger since 1999. I bought the car running and driving from a guy named Breet Popwell. It was owned by Billy Stevenson before Breet got it. It wasn't in terrible shape but I have done alot of work to it over the years. I got it just before the price of chargers shot through the roof. The only good luck I have ever had lol. There is a guy named Shane that moved to covington from Iowa. I chat with him occasionally.  

2 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Welcome to Hazzard! We hope you love it here and will stay a while..............NOW!   Now that,  that's out of the way and we're family ....I'm jealous! Why can't I get a General for myself????  :) 

I got really lucky when I found the charger, going on 24 years with it now. It is an experience owning an old car but I have been a mechanic since I was 17 so I can usually take care of most problems that arise myself. My buddy did the paint and body work for me and I did help with that but I built the engine myself and alot of the other repairs I have done on it myself.  I will say this, never give up hope for having a charger. I was actually just looking for any older muscle car when I saw the ad for the charger in the Atlanta journal back before the days of ebay and all cars are sold now on the internet.  

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I have pics of my car but I don't know how to post it here.  If you know how to and can walk me through it I will get some posted on here. 

11 hours ago, floyd012010 said:

I have pics of my car but I don't know how to post it here.  If you know how to and can walk me through it I will get some posted on here. 

The forum only lets you upload very small (think postage stamp) sized images. Your best bet is to sign up to an image host such as Flickr. Many offer hosting of a certain number of images for free. You can then put a link to your image in your post and your picture will display.

21 hours ago, floyd012010 said:

I have had the charger since 1999. I bought the car running and driving from a guy named Breet Popwell. It was owned by Billy Stevenson before Breet got it. It wasn't in terrible shape but I have done alot of work to it over the years. I got it just before the price of chargers shot through the roof. The only good luck I have ever had lol. There is a guy named Shane that moved to covington from Iowa. I chat with him occasionally.  

What a great story! And Shane has great taste to move to Covington from Iowa. That would be a dream come true...

On 1/29/2023 at 9:39 PM, floyd012010 said:

I tried to upload a pic but it said it was too big. I will have to see if I can resize it somehow

Welcome to Hazzardnet.  I live up in NY but I'm a southerner by heart.  In a few years I'm planning on moving south, possibly South Carolina.

If you want send me a PM and we can exchange e-mail addresses.  If you don't mind I can re-size the picture(s) of your Charger for you.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:17 PM, floyd012010 said:

I got really lucky when I found the charger, going on 24 years with it now. It is an experience owning an old car but I have been a mechanic since I was 17 

The older cars are awesome. I can't do internal engine work and am not good with bodywork but I am a fairly decent mechanic with cars from the 60s and 70s. I can't even replace spark plugs on these new cars....can't even find them half the time.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:48 AM, HossC said:

The forum only lets you upload very small (think postage stamp) sized images. Your best bet is to sign up to an image host such as Flickr. Many offer hosting of a certain number of images for free. You can then put a link to your image in your post and your picture will display.

Thank you for the information,  I will look into that. 

On 1/30/2023 at 9:53 PM, Boss JD Hogg said:

Welcome to Hazzardnet.  I live up in NY but I'm a southerner by heart.  In a few years I'm planning on moving south, possibly South Carolina.

If you want send me a PM and we can exchange e-mail addresses.  If you don't mind I can re-size the picture(s) of your Charger for you.

I am pretty sure I sent my email address to you. Hopefully I did anyway.  Lol

On 2/1/2023 at 10:40 AM, RogerDuke said:

The older cars are awesome. I can't do internal engine work and am not good with bodywork but I am a fairly decent mechanic with cars from the 60s and 70s. I can't even replace spark plugs on these new cars....can't even find them half the time.

I work on forklifts for a living and the older cars ain't too bad. I rebuilt the engine in a jeep I bought that was blown up. It was different for sure. The 4.7 V8 is a different animal but I'm still driving it and that was back in 2015. Over the last 10 to 12 years technology on cars has gone way past me. I worked on a 2013 F150 5.0 last year with a burnt valve. I got it fixed but it was not a pleasant job. 

On 1/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, Mr. Lee said:

Hi Floyd, welcome! Great you live in Georgia! I was lucky to visit your country in 2017 and did a quick trip in Covington and Conyers. It was amasing for me to be there! Only thing I could no visit was the old Cooters Junkyard where to blue bus used to be. Have you ever been there?

I was able to get into the junkyard way back in the early 2000's and got some pics of the place. The old bus was there then and maybe a few cars were there. Later the no trespassing signs and crap went up so that was that. I got a few pics of the old farm house too when it was still standing.  Lots has changed there since the early 2000's 

On 2/3/2023 at 3:29 AM, floyd012010 said:

I was able to get into the junkyard way back in the early 2000's and got some pics of the place. The old bus was there then and maybe a few cars were there. Later the no trespassing signs and crap went up so that was that. I got a few pics of the old farm house too when it was still standing.  Lots has changed there since the early 2000's 

Cool. I saw the "No tresspassing signs" so didn't enter the junkyard. But all cars where gone at the time. They told us due to a fire in the building.

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/5/2023 at 12:31 PM, Mr. Lee said:

Cool. I saw the "No tresspassing signs" so didn't enter the junkyard. But all cars where gone at the time. They told us due to a fire in the building.

We were there in maybe 2005 ish I think and the old Marta bus was still there and there were a few cars still scattered around. We got a few pics of the bus and of the old building but it was gated but no signs at the time but we snapped a few pictures and got out fairly quickly.  We didn't bother nothing just got a few pictures of the old bus and that was it