Daisy’s Song...But the Farm “Long”?

MonacoMan

I’m watching the 2nd episode “Daisy’s Song” at the moment. I love rewatching things that I’ve seen a ton of times, and still finding aspects I’ve never really thought about or noticed before! 

But, at the beginning when Daisy rushes out of the farm house (the original Duke farm house) to tell the family that her song is on the radio, there’s these other houses or sheds/cabins up behind them—and/or on the same property!

I wonder whose those were...and what purpose did they serve? The Dukes didn’t have farm hands that I know of (they couldn’t afford them). How big was the Duke farm (all this pretending Hazzard world was real :wink:)? Just fun new questions that I know probably don’t have real answers, lol! :-P :spin:

Edited by MonacoMan

8 minutes ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

You got me on this one butd! I never evemn noticed after all these years! Maybe Hoss or Roger will know! 

In reality I’m sure they were part of that actual farm land...perhaps real-life farm hand’s houses/sleeping quarters at one time?

But, the original farm house used for the Dukes in the first few Georgia episodes was already abandoned when they used it for filming...so the rest of the farm & buildings probably were too. There was probably no way to get around having them in the background when they filmed the scene...we were just not supposed to care or know...just go with it, which we did! ;)

On the top of my head I can't remember noticing them. We used to have the grandson of the guy who owned the house here on HazzardNet and got a lot of information from him. For awhile there it looked like they might save it as a historical landmark but of course that never happened. At least people were able to buy parts of the house after it came down. I got some boards. Ended up giving one to Sonny Shroyer and one to the Dukes museum. 

10 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

On the top of my head I can't remember noticing them. We used to have the grandson of the guy who owned the house here on HazzardNet and got a lot of information from him. For awhile there it looked like they might save it as a historical landmark but of course that never happened. At least people were able to buy parts of the house after it came down. I got some boards. Ended up giving one to Sonny Shroyer and one to the Dukes museum. 

Yeah, it was discovered that the original Dukes house was actually at some point built around a Civil War era cabin, and when the people that owned the land wanted to tear it down there was a “movement” for a while to try and stop it. Some even tried to explain that the first part of “Dukes” was filmed there...but none of it was any use. All of it was torn out, except one of the old stone chimneys. I don’t know if that’s even still there or not anymore? 

Depending on when you were there to get those boards, most of the rest of the buildings on the property could’ve already been torn down, and so those other little houses/quarters could have already been gone. I’d post a picture of the scene I mean, but this site will never let me post photos...they always claim they’re too big. :angry: So, you’ll probably have to watch the beginning of the episode to see what I mean. 

17 hours ago, MonacoMan said:

I’m watching the 2nd episode “Daisy’s Song” at the moment. I love rewatching things that I’ve seen a ton of times, and still finding aspects I’ve never really thought about or noticed before! 

But, at the beginning when Daisy rushes out of the farm house (the original Duke farm house) to tell the family that her song is on the radio, there’s these other houses or sheds/cabins up behind them—and/or on the same property!

I wonder whose those were...and what purpose did they serve? The Dukes didn’t have farm hands that I know of (they couldn’t afford them). How big was the Duke farm (all this pretending Hazzard world was real :wink:)? Just fun new questions that I know probably don’t have real answers, lol! :-P :spin:

I've just had a look at the episode as l don't remember noticing the other buildings before. If I have my bearings correct, they were a bit further back from the road and they look pretty derelict. Looking at historic aerial photos, the new house at the back of the plot was built in the mid-80s, and I can't see any trace of the other buildings in the 1993 image.

3 hours ago, MonacoMan said:

All of it was torn out, except one of the old stone chimneys. I don’t know if that’s even still there or not anymore?

The address was/is 2201 Lenora Road near Loganville, GA. The Google car went down the road in February 2022, so we can finally get ground levels views. As far as I can tell, the chimney is still there - check out the Streetview.

Amusingly, there's a sign right outside where the Duke farm house used to stand that says "Road Closed At Bridge". Big Hayes Creek is about a mile down the road. If that's not an invitation to jump, I don't know what is!

28 minutes ago, HossC said:

I've just had a look at the episode as l don't remember noticing the other buildings before. If I have my bearings correct, they were a bit further back from the road and they look pretty derelict. Looking at historic aerial photos, the new house at the back of the plot was built in the mid-80s, and I can't see any trace of the other buildings in the 1993 image.

The address was/is 2201 Lenora Road near Loganville, GA. The Google car went down the road in February 2022, so we can finally get ground levels views. As far as I can tell, the chimney is still there - check out the Streetview.

Amusingly, there's a sign right outside where the Duke farm house used to stand that says "Road Closed At Bridge". Big Hayes Creek is about a mile down the road. If that's not an invitation to jump, I don't know what is!

Yeah, when Daisy rushes out of the house, you can see them up a ways behind her. They weren’t literally right behind her or really close...but they looked on the same property. However, maybe they were separate?? They looked pretty abandoned & long time unused even when the DOH filmed there. 

The Dukes house was already abandoned too when it was used for filming...but wasn’t fully torn down until I think the late 80s/early 90s. I’ve seen some pics of a “Dukes” fan going through & exploring the abandoned original Duke house around 1987...a couple years before they started demolition. It was pretty “rough” & torn up inside, though.

Yes, that’s the stone chimney that was originally part of the Civil War cabin, which was later incorporated into the house when it was built around it. Glad to see it’s still there!

Interesting that there’s a “bridge out” near the old Duke farm, lol...the irony is almost too much to be a coincidence! :wink:

Edited by MonacoMan