Serge's General Lee

Mr. Lee

Hi guys, I thought I start a new topic about my car to keep on subject in the other topic about Tom Sarmento.

Well, my General Lee. For people that don't know the car, I own a 1969 Dodge Charger and made a LEE1-replica out of it. Not 100% accurate, but comes very close.

I bought the car from a company in your country that where suppose to have restored it but they cut corners. Don't want to say much more about that, what has been done has been done...

It was the reason for me to redo the car back in 2009 and decided to make a LEE1-replica because I didn't want just a General Lee but a specific car. The car was finished in 2010.

I had a lot of fun with it! Used it a lot as a weddingcar for people, several carshows and even was invited for TV shows here in The Netherlands. But the best was 2013 when I picked up John Schneider in Germany for a comic-con event. John drove my car with me riding shotgun! Priceless! And also the 2 years Tom Sarmento stayed with us and drove the car! I think I am a lucky guy and am gratefull that it al happened!

Anyway, had great years with my car untill it broke down in 2018 with a leaking transmission and worn out cilinderheads. The car hasn't been out since but at the moment it has my priority to get it running again this year!

Atteched a pic of my car a few years back in better days.

Screenshot_20230111_205719_Instagram.jpg

One of the things that was not accurate like the original LEE1 was the paint in the enginebay. It was orange but had to be light bronze. You can see the pic in the Tom Sarmento topic that I painted the enginebay bronze now. The underside of the hood is still orange but I will paint it bronze aswell . First the engine must go in again to make space in my garage to paint my hood. At the moment I am working on the brakes of the car. Replacing al brake lines from the firewall back to the rearwheels. 

Also another LEE1 detail that was missing was a 3-speaker dash. LEE1 had 2 extra speakers on top of the dashboard. It was an extra option back in the days. My car didn't have that option so I found speakergrilles and loudspeakers over the years. This week I pulled the windscreen out, drilled holes in my dashboard and am fitting it all at the moment. I am really happy that I can finally say that my car almost has the 3-speaker dash!20230111_211817.jpg.28f0eb3e98e7c655fb8f2edf1a8d587e.jpg

20230111_211846.jpg

Thanks guys! I had 3 General Lee's before, now I wanted a specific one. At the time LEE1 was hot and after seeing Travis his DVD about the car I loved it. That's why I made a replica LEE1. And if you replicate it, do it right and accurate. Only thing that isn't right is my rearseat. LEE1 didn't have it and I do. Otherwise I can't take my son along ;)

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Sweet! When you opened up the trunk I thought you were going to pull out a few jugs of shine!

Haha would have been cool. Maybey when the car is ready to drive again it will be the next step for a new prop. Anyone has some seriespics where shine can be seen?

19 hours ago, Hobie Hartkins said:

Definitely! YOU are a valued citizen of Hazzard County!! :) 

* Stop by the car lot some time and I'll give you a jug of my finest!!  :) 

It's great to talk to other DOH fans. Here in The Netherlands my buddy Alma had a DOH forum as well, but suddenly Facebook and stuff where more interesting for most of the members so absolutely no activity anymore. I always hated that. So happy to be on a forum that is still alive!

Too bad I'm on the other side of the big pond. Would be great to set up a meeting. Anybody else on here with a DOH car?

1 hour ago, Mr. Lee said:

It's great to talk to other DOH fans. Here in The Netherlands my buddy Alma had a DOH forum as well, but suddenly Facebook and stuff where more interesting for most of the members so absolutely no activity anymore. I always hated that. So happy to be on a forum that is still alive!

Too bad I'm on the other side of the big pond. Would be great to set up a meeting. Anybody else on here with a DOH car?

It's good to have another member in roughly the same time zone. We used to have another prominent Dutch member, Roth Potter, but sadly they haven't posted since early 2021.

I assume Alma's website was thedukesofhazzard.nl. I hadn't realized it had closed down - there was some great info on there, especially about the Georgia locations. It looks like Alma was once a member here briefly. There's an AlmaH from the Netherlands who made seven posts between May and June 2005.

I think there are at least a couple of General Lees here in Ireland/Northern Ireland (I posted pictures here of the one I got to sit in). I've seen other TV/movie cars at shows, but I don't remember seeing any other Dukes vehicles.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:02 PM, Mr. Lee said:

Hi guys, I thought I start a new topic about my car to keep on subject in the other topic about Tom Sarmento.

Well, my General Lee. For people that don't know the car, I own a 1969 Dodge Charger and made a LEE1-replica out of it. Not 100% accurate, but comes very close.

I bought the car from a company in your country that where suppose to have restored it but they cut corners. Don't want to say much more about that, what has been done has been done...

It was the reason for me to redo the car back in 2009 and decided to make a LEE1-replica because I didn't want just a General Lee but a specific car. The car was finished in 2010.

I had a lot of fun with it! Used it a lot as a weddingcar for people, several carshows and even was invited for TV shows here in The Netherlands. But the best was 2013 when I picked up John Schneider in Germany for a comic-con event. John drove my car with me riding shotgun! Priceless! And also the 2 years Tom Sarmento stayed with us and drove the car! I think I am a lucky guy and am gratefull that it al happened!

Anyway, had great years with my car untill it broke down in 2018 with a leaking transmission and worn out cilinderheads. The car hasn't been out since but at the moment it has my priority to get it running again this year!

Atteched a pic of my car a few years back in better days.

Screenshot_20230111_205719_Instagram.jpg

This is awesome!  I love your attention to detail.  Going through all that, removing the windshield, to install the extra speakers is great attention to detail.  Your General Lee looks just like LEE1.

What color is the body painted?  Is it 1975 Corvette Flame Red?

Edited by Boss JD Hogg

10 hours ago, Mr. Lee said:

Unfortunately too many people like using Facebook.  I'd rather be on a forum.  People tend to be friendlier on forums.  Here at Hazzardnet it's like a family.    

On 1/29/2023 at 2:53 PM, Mr. Lee said:

For anyone that likes it, here's the vid from John Schneider that drove my General Lee with me riding shotgun, also the rest of the tine we spent with him at the comic con.

Some shots of my car to see it better.

This is a great video and it must have been amazing having John Schneider drive your car.

The General Lees in the early Georgia episodes are my favorite look(s) for the car.  I like the shorter push bar and the darker blue in the General Lee lettering and the flag.  The car looks spot on to LEE1.

Can you post some pictures of the interior?

Edited by Boss JD Hogg

10 hours ago, Mr. Lee said:

Haha would have been cool. Maybey when the car is ready to drive again it will be the next step for a new prop. Anyone has some seriespics where shine can be seen?

not sure...but if I ask around, I can get some of the real stuff for you! I've bought it before, in an old Mason jar and everything! :) 

23 hours ago, HossC said:

It's good to have another member in roughly the same time zone. We used to have another prominent Dutch member, Roth Potter, but sadly they haven't posted since early 2021.

I assume Alma's website was thedukesofhazzard.nl. I hadn't realized it had closed down - there was some great info on there, especially about the Georgia locations. It looks like Alma was once a member here briefly. There's an AlmaH from the Netherlands who made seven posts between May and June 2005.

I think there are at least a couple of General Lees here in Ireland/Northern Ireland (I posted pictures here of the one I got to sit in). I've seen other TV/movie cars at shows, but I don't remember seeing any other Dukes vehicles.

AlmaH must be my buddy for sure. I'll ask him why he shut down the website. First he only shut down the forum, website was still running after that.

Ireland is not that far from here. You know Nickie Fagan maybey? He's in Ireland aswell, owns a General Lee and Tom Sarmento visited him also multiple times.

I checked out Roth Potter on here, doesn't ring a bell for now. Does anyone now's his real name?

15 hours ago, Boss JD Hogg said:

This is awesome!  I love your attention to detail.  Going through all that, removing the windshield, to install the extra speakers is great attention to detail.  Your General Lee looks just like LEE1.

What color is the body painted?  Is it 1975 Corvette Flame Red?

Thanks for the compliment!

In 2008 when I was getting the info about LEE1 I got myself the book written by Jon Holland, "The Roads Back to Early Hazzard". In that book is written that the first 3 General Lee's where painted Hemi Orange. This was told by the DOH transport guy that was in charge of the cars. There is a lot of discussion always about the colors that where used but by reading the book I believe the first 3 cars where Hemi Orange.

As the original LEE1 was T3 Light Bronse Metallic I painted my car that color first. After that the V2 Hemi Orange went over it, just like the original LEE1 was painted for the series. Here's my car:

DSC01582_zpsimgc3kw1.jpg

DSC01595_zpshbzk0uir.jpg

DSC01622_zpsfusqcxho.jpg

7528707758_6bd5d596f8_z_zps6tj6lage.jpg