1/25 General Lee Build Help

MoonRunner-01

• MoonRunner-01 changed the title to 1/25 General Lee Build Help

Welcome to HNet, MoonRunner.

Andrew D Charger Chaser's My Ultimate General Lee build in 1/25 thread has a couple of pictures of him making the antenna near the bottom of the page. There's also a scratch-built CB, but no close-ups or construction pictures. I don't think Andrew's been around here for a while - hopefully he'll be back soon.

1 hour ago, HossC said:

Welcome to HNet, MoonRunner.

Andrew D Charger Chaser's My Ultimate General Lee build in 1/25 thread has a couple of pictures of him making the antenna near the bottom of the page. There's also a scratch-built CB, but no close-ups or construction pictures. I don't think Andrew's been around here for a while - hopefully he'll be back soon.

I appreciate it Hoss. One problem I'm having is finding sheets of styrene. And finding the decals that are more similar to the Georgia Era General Lee

6 minutes ago, MoonRunner-01 said:

I appreciate it Hoss. One problem I'm having is finding sheets of styrene. And finding the decals that are more similar to the Georgia Era General Lee

You could try contacting Jim85IROC. He's building four different R/C versions of the General at 1/10 scale. His Radio Control Dukes cars thread mentions printing his own decals (and 3D printing parts).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have pics, but when I did a 25th scale general lee model a zillion years ago in college, I used a piece of the sprue to make an antenna base and then heated and pulled a thin piece of another sprue to make the antenna itself.  It looked nice.

On my 1/10 scale General I designed and 3d printed a base that was designed to accept an unwound guitar string (a "g" string specifically).  That probably wouldn't scale well to 25th scale, but you could make the base out of styrene or a piece of scrap sprue material and use an unwound "e" string for the antenna.

52477714770_8a65de3aa9_z.jpg

52477714755_bb176af105_z.jpg

Edited by Jim85IROC

As for the Georgia decals, that's a bit tougher, but not too bad, especially at your smaller scale.  It could be as easy as finding good images and printing them on decal sheets. They won't be waterproof nor UV resistant, but that may not matter for an inside model.  If it does, you can take the design to someone that is doing custom decals or waterslides and they can print it for you.  After I was satisfied with my Hazzard County Sheriff decals I sent the file to the same place that I bought my General decals from.

As for designing them, I did my Sheriff decals in GIMP (it's an open source equivalent of Photoshop). This would be perfect for simple graphics and for cleaning up and arranging images that you find on the web, which will probably be high enough resolution to give good crisp results on a 1/25 scale.  If you need to create some from scratch, a vector-based application would probably be easier, but I'm not familiar enough with those to give recommendations.  Hoss's designs are very well done, so he would probably be able to give advice if you end up going that route.

6 hours ago, Jim85IROC said:

If you need to create some from scratch, a vector-based application would probably be easier, but I'm not familiar enough with those to give recommendations.  Hoss's designs are very well done, so he would probably be able to give advice if you end up going that route.

The advantage of designing in vectors is that the designs can be blown up to whatever size you like without any loss of quality. The industry standard vector editing software is Adobe Illustrator. I've tried it once or twice many years ago, but never got on with it. My designs were done in CorelDraw, which can normally be picked up at a good price (maybe for the previous version). If you're looking for free software, TechRadar published a recent list here. The only one I've tried is Inkscape, and that's probably changed a bit from when I last used it.

On 11/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, Jim85IROC said:

I don't have pics, but when I did a 25th scale general lee model a zillion years ago in college, I used a piece of the sprue to make an antenna base and then heated and pulled a thin piece of another sprue to make the antenna itself.  It looked nice.

On my 1/10 scale General I designed and 3d printed a base that was designed to accept an unwound guitar string (a "g" string specifically).  That probably wouldn't scale well to 25th scale, but you could make the base out of styrene or a piece of scrap sprue material and use an unwound "e" string for the antenna.

52477714770_8a65de3aa9_z.jpg

52477714755_bb176af105_z.jpg

I appreciate it good buddy. I'll probably just take some of the styrene left over from the kits and file it to shape and take a pen vise drill bit and drill a small hole in the center to ad the wire