Best Series DVD set?

Does anybody have feedback on the various DVD sets for the series that are available?  I see a set from 2020 that is in Wal Mart and Amazon that looks like this:

[s-l300.jpg

And another that looks like this:

s-l1000.jpg

Is anybody familiar with both sets and have any feedback about the difference?  I've heard that one of them may be in 16:9 instead of 4:3.  I'd prefer the original 4:3.

I have the Season 1 DVD, but it won't play in my blue ray player, 9nly on my PC, so I want to get a new complete set, but I want to avoid the 16:9 ratio.

I can't help much I'm afraid. I bought them as individual seasons, and mine are PAL/Region 2 formatted, so they may differ from those available in the US.

None of the listings or reviews that I've seen for the sets you asked about mention being remastered, only repackaged. The descriptions do seem to vary in the number of discs they claim to contain - 33, 40 and 52 discs can all be found. My sets came with a couple of seasons on double sided discs, so that might explain the different numbers. While not ideal, I'd rather have double sided discs than reduced quality due to more episodes being squeezed onto each disc. There should be no more than three episodes per disc (side) plus the occasional DVD extra.

The picture quality on my set is what I expected. It looks fine on TV, but you can see slightly ragged edges when viewed on my laptop.

I'm sorry Cousin, it's been so long since I got mine, I can't even remember where I bought them, as a set or one at a time! Hey, I used to have them on VHS that I taped off the TV! :)  So, I really wouldn't know which place is better to buy from! Sorry!

Edited by Hobie Hartkins

28 minutes ago, Jim85IROC said:

I did find a review on youtube of the 2nd one I posted (which is older) that showed it in 4:3, so I think I'll play it safe and go with that set.

That sounds like the best bet! I would give you a thumbs up but I'm out of " Likes" for the day! ( I have no idea WHY they don't let you put as many as you like!)

I noticed that one of the DVD reviews complained that the episodes were in the wrong order because Daisy's yellow car reappears after she gets the Jeep. They obviously didn't know that this was a studio continuity error from the start. Having said that, I do seem to recall that two of my DVDs are labeled incorrectly - disc 3 is actually disc 4 and vice versa.

9 hours ago, HossC said:

I noticed that one of the DVD reviews complained that the episodes were in the wrong order because Daisy's yellow car reappears after she gets the Jeep. They obviously didn't know that this was a studio continuity error from the start. Having said that, I do seem to recall that two of my DVDs are labeled incorrectly - disc 3 is actually disc 4 and vice versa.

Wow....I never even noticed that! I don't think mine are like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Although sometimes double sided discs are  supposedly considered slightly better quality...they also are many times known for having playback problems—with freezing up or not wanting to load at all. 

I bought each of the DOH original double sided season DVD sets as they were released. Most play fine...however, I will be honest and say that I’ve had issues with the Season 3 set—specifically Disc 2 side B, and Disc 4. A few years ago I re-bought the same set off eBay, and it seemed to play fine. Then, eventually the same discs started having issues again?? 

I saw the complete series on DVD, with the one sided discs, for sale in Walmart the other day...I’m considering getting it just to have as a back up for my original sets. 

What I would absolutely love would be for the entire original series to be digitally remastered for a complete series Blu-ray set! But, sadly that probably won’t ever happen. 

I bought the individual seasons too.

My Season 1, 2, 3 & 6 are double sides discs.  Seasons 4, 5, & 7 are on single sides discs.  I wish they were all on single sided discs.  Sometimes double sided discs can have problems.

I would buy whichever set is on single sided discs.

As far as I know it was never remastered in 16:9.  They just keep putting the series out with the same transfers only in new packaging and the later discs being single sided. 

Edited by Boss JD Hogg

On 9/18/2022 at 6:45 AM, HossC said:

I’ve not noticed DVDs being labeled incorrectly...but there could have been some sets that had discs placed wrong when they were being packaged.

What I’m laughing :lol: & shaking my head at :cornfused: is someone’s review saying the episodes were out of the original order because Daisy’s Satellite shows up again, after she’d supposedly gotten the Jeep! Have these people not ever heard that most of the time (for various reasons) shows don’t air episodes in the exact order they were filmed?? :duh:

Anyway, since I was having problems with both my Season 3 sets (mentioned in my earlier post from last night) with playback & discs not wanting to load...I decided to get the complete series DVD set that was on sale at my town’s Walmart. The discs are one sided, but seem to be the same quality as the original double sided season DVD sets...and the Season 3 episodes seem to play just fine! :banana:

Compared to each original season set costing $30-40 a piece, I was pleased to find the entire series for just $69—also especially since I’ve not seen it available in stores much since the lib-woke lies & garbage have tried to destroy it! :angry: But, the year on the set is 2020, which is just a couple years ago. So, maybe some “Dukes” stuff (outside of online or Cooter’s Place) is starting to be marketed & enjoyed again. :cheers: 

• 1 month later...

The DVDs sold on Amazon/Walmart are as good as it gets. I mean, the newer sets don't have the Rebel Flag 'cause it's considered offensive, but the picture quality remains the same.

If you want the best, Amazon has it remastered in HD, however it's cropped to 16:9 so you'd be missing out on details from the top and bottom. Because of that, I never got used to that version despite looking amazingly good.

By the way, this is the first time in months I was able to log in to my account. Dunno what was wrong with it.

• 7 months later...

For what it's worth, I'm most of the way through Season 2 and my results are mixed.  I recalled Season 1 looking pretty good, but Season 2 has so much MPG compression that it's very distracting.  Massive pixelation and very poor color depth.  To be honest, most of the episodes that I've found on Youtube look much better than this DVD does, which makes me think that there's still got to be a higher quality set out there that everybody was ripping to put onto youtube.