Gray car

Skipper Duke

Just blocked someone. On Facebook. Argument with me GENERAL LEE was gray in the TV pilot. No it was not. Never gray. Always orange. Corvette Flame Red Code Dupont 70 to be more precise. It was black in the story flashback Happy Birthday General Lee before getting the now famous paint that we all know. In the original idea, it was to be Confederate Gray and called Traveler after General Lee's horse. With 99 on the doors and flag on the hood. All that changed in the final product to the name of the man himself and 01 doors and flag moved to roof with the GENERAL LEE text on sides of the flag. The original plan(treatment)must be what he's thinking about. Idk where else other than that he gets the gray crap from. He has learned do not argue Dukes with me you will lose. LOL.

9 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Just blocked someone. On Facebook. 

Whenever my motorcycle gets here I'll probably be joining FB again. When I had my Ninja there was a great forum for it but my new bike must not popular enough to have any active forum but it is active on FB. I'll look you up Skipper. It might be awhile though....still don't know when it will get here. I'll be using the name Jesse Duke....not Roger Duke like I did. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Whenever my motorcycle gets here I'll probably be joining FB again. When I had my Ninja there was a great forum for it but my new bike must not popular enough to have any active forum but it is active on FB. I'll look you up Skipper. It might be awhile though....still don't know when it will get here. I'll be using the name Jesse Duke....not Roger Duke like I did. 

Cousin Roger Duke... I look forward to that. You rejoining I mean. :)

13 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Just blocked someone. On Facebook. Argument with me GENERAL LEE was gray in the TV pilot. No it was not. Never gray. Always orange. Corvette Flame Red Code Dupont 70 to be more precise. It was black in the story flashback Happy Birthday General Lee before getting the now famous paint that we all know.

You forgot to mention that the General was green in 'Southern Comfurts'.

Regarding the color, apparently they used Big Bad Orange in the movies. For the series, it's widely published that the General was Corvette Flame Red, but I found a 2020 article which includes a video of Travis Bell on Ed Bolian's VINwiki YouTube channel. He claims to have color-scanned the trunk of the original General and found the color to be TNT Express. That's a color I'm familiar with because it was used by the TNT Express shipping company (similar to FedEx or UPS), and I'd often see their trucks on the motorway. It looks like TNT Express was bought out by FedEx nearly a year ago. Here's the video:

5 minutes ago, HossC said:

You forgot to mention that the General was green in 'Southern Comfurts'.

Regarding the color, apparently they used Big Bad Orange in the movies. For the series, it's widely published that the General was Corvette Flame Red, but I found a 2020 article which includes a video of Travis Bell on Ed Bolian's VINwiki YouTube channel. He claims to have color-scanned the trunk of the original General and found the color to be TNT Express. That's a color I'm familiar with because it was used by the TNT Express shipping company (similar to FedEx or UPS), and I'd often see their trucks on the motorway. It looks like TNT Express was bought out by FedEx nearly a year ago. Here's the video:

Cousin HossC... Just cruising the board. I will check this video out when I have some more time. :)

It's been all but confirmed the beauty cars(cars seen close up) were painted 1975 Corvette Flame Red, GM code 70.  I remember reading an article that stated when they scanned the trunk lid it matched Corvette Flame Red.  Even a scan of old paint won't give accurate results.  Reds, yellows and oranges tend to change more than other colors over time.  They did use other orange colors on the stunt cars mostly to save money and would often mix leftovers to make enough to paint a car.  

Some people think Hemi Orange was used but it wasn't.  Hemi Orange is a 1969 Dodge Charger color but it's a very dark red-orange and almost always photographs red.  Hemi Orange does have a light metallic in it too.

1975 Corvette Flame Red is the main color of the General Lee.

Edited by Boss JD Hogg

On 9/16/2022 at 7:30 AM, HossC said:

I think you're right. I was just pointing out that not every General was painted that color, and as you say, stunt cars were often painted with whatever orange was available.

The color was all over the place on the stunt cars.  There has been a lot of conflicting stories about the color but the most consistent is 1975 Corvette Flame Red.  I built 2 models of the General Lee.  I painted one in Chevrolet Hugger Orange and one in 1975 Corvette Flame Red.  The Hugger Orange is too red and the Flame Red looks right.  A lot of the orange colors are very similar.  I just wouldn't trust a scan of 40 year old paint.  I've had colors scanned and the new color made from the scan never matches 100%.