Dukes of Hazzard Movie Review Thread - Post Reviews Here!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between trailers and internet photos, almost half the movie was familiar.

Junior Brown was a nice balladeer choice. CMT making of program gave credit toward Johnny Knoxville for idea. Kept in mind that M.C. Gainey made a career of playing bad guys which made him a proper candidate for the Moonrunnersish / Georgia episodes version that the company wanted. I think that was a good thing to know ahead of time.

Sheev almost seemed to be a tribute to or a combination of Cooter, Cletus and Enos for an original character.

Johnny Knoxville and Seann Williams Scott acceptable as Luke and Bo. Willie did alright for a moonshine making Jesse Duke. Burt was an adorable Boss.

Jessica’s brief appearances were ok. The storyline could have been more consistent in a few spots.

It was neat they added Flash. Stunts were entertaining.

Safe scene was amusing. Intriguing how the General gets onto the highway for that jump.

Two memorable quotes … “Not exactly could be a problem!†“What I am gonna do, I don’t wanna remember a lot about it.â€

Scene most laughed about where I viewed it at, Bo and Luke pretending to be Japanese businessmen. I think that was because it seemed very much a moment from the tv show. Just seeing the online clip doesn’t do the total scene justice in my opinion.

Was it hard as someone who first saw the General fly on tv in 1979 to watch this movie? No, the originals will never be replaced. I respect those people who do not feel this flick is for them. I enjoyed the effort this 2005 cast and crew put together.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their likes and dislikes. I look forward to reading more reviews.

Daney

Between trailers and internet photos, almost half the movie was familiar.

Junior Brown was a nice balladeer choice. CMT making of program gave credit toward Johnny Knoxville for idea. Kept in mind that M.C. Gainey made a career of playing bad guys which made him a proper candidate for the Moonrunnersish / Georgia episodes version that the company wanted. I think that was a good thing to know ahead of time.

Sheev almost seemed to be a tribute to or a combination of Cooter, Cletus and Enos for an original character.

Johnny Knoxville and Seann Williams Scott acceptable as Luke and Bo. Willie did alright for a moonshine making Jesse Duke. Burt was an adorable Boss.

Jessica’s brief appearances were ok. The storyline could have been more consistent in a few spots.

It was neat they added Flash. Stunts were entertaining.

Safe scene was amusing. Intriguing how the General gets onto the highway for that jump.

Two memorable quotes … “Not exactly could be a problem!†“What I am gonna do, I don’t wanna remember a lot about it.â€

Scene most laughed about where I viewed it at, Bo and Luke pretending to be Japanese businessmen. I think that was because it seemed very much a moment from the tv show. Just seeing the online clip doesn’t do the total scene justice in my opinion.

Was it hard as someone who first saw the General fly on tv in 1979 to watch this movie? No, the originals will never be replaced. I respect those people who do not feel this flick is for them. I enjoyed the effort this 2005 cast and crew put together.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their likes and dislikes. I look forward to reading more reviews.

Daney

Hi all! This is my first time on this forum and I thought I would share my thoughts on the new Dukes of Hazard movie.

Watching this I was disapointed because it didn't feel any thing like Dukes of Hazard, except for a few moments with the General Lee. I felt like I was watching something more along the Lines of "Dude Where's My Car". Bo was a complete duff. Suprisingly though, Burt Renalds, even though he didn't look the part, did play a decent Boss Hogg. He had the gestures and the dialog timing down. Jessica Simpson was horrible with the few lines she did get. It seemed she, as well as Williams Scott AND Knoxville over played and exagerated their accents. I had a hard time keeping with what little plot their was just because I was so annoyed by the fake over done accents.

It seemed to me in this film they were more making fun of Dukes of Hazard and the south of the mason dixon line than they were making Dukes of Hazad than they were trying to make a good movie.

I wouldn't reccomend this film to any one. It was very weak plot that didn't flow, bad acting for the most part, and childish lame humor. Seemed they at least did get one part of the title right... HAZZARD. Because that's about what it was.

And for the record, I am from Maryland.

Hi all! This is my first time on this forum and I thought I would share my thoughts on the new Dukes of Hazard movie.

Watching this I was disapointed because it didn't feel any thing like Dukes of Hazard, except for a few moments with the General Lee. I felt like I was watching something more along the Lines of "Dude Where's My Car". Bo was a complete duff. Suprisingly though, Burt Renalds, even though he didn't look the part, did play a decent Boss Hogg. He had the gestures and the dialog timing down. Jessica Simpson was horrible with the few lines she did get. It seemed she, as well as Williams Scott AND Knoxville over played and exagerated their accents. I had a hard time keeping with what little plot their was just because I was so annoyed by the fake over done accents.

It seemed to me in this film they were more making fun of Dukes of Hazard and the south of the mason dixon line than they were making Dukes of Hazad than they were trying to make a good movie.

I wouldn't reccomend this film to any one. It was very weak plot that didn't flow, bad acting for the most part, and childish lame humor. Seemed they at least did get one part of the title right... HAZZARD. Because that's about what it was.

And for the record, I am from Maryland.

I just went browsing reviews on the net and seems the pro critics agree with me. Rotten Tommato's is saying 80 some percent rotten....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dukes_of_hazzard/

And other sites have overwhelmingly majority of negative reviews as well.

http://movies.go.com/movies/review?name=dukesofhazzard_2004&genre=action&studio=Warner%20Brothers

Just do a google search for Dukes of Hazzard review

I just went browsing reviews on the net and seems the pro critics agree with me. Rotten Tommato's is saying 80 some percent rotten....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dukes_of_hazzard/

And other sites have overwhelmingly majority of negative reviews as well.

http://movies.go.com/movies/review?name=dukesofhazzard_2004&genre=action&studio=Warner%20Brothers

Just do a google search for Dukes of Hazzard review

One Helluva Ride

I have been preaching on here for the better part of a year to give this movie a chance. You know something , I did and the movie was better than what I expected. Hearing Waylon's Good Ol Boys in the opening I knew this would be a helluva good ride.

I think the "spirit" of the original Dukes was there. The basic elements of the show were there - plot, characters, balladeer, cars - but a bit modernized to 2005 not 1979. Think of it as Moonrunners meets the Dukes with some Smokey & The Bandit thrown in..

I have said in numerous threads that if Bo & Luke were played like modern day Good Ol' Boys but just a bit more wild that would be fine. Well folks that is what they were. Johnny Knoxville & SWS did a good job on the Duke cousins. I liked the way they were in the film.

I liked the way Boss Hogg and Roscoe were. More ruthless and serious than in the show . It seemed like the reverse from the show with Boss & Roscoe being serious in the movie than in the show and the same for Bo & Luke - more "fun" in the movie than in the show.

I loved and so did the packed theater , Uncle Jesse's one liners . Like the fact that he was more "colorful" in the movie.

The drug references weren't as bad as I had read. The suggestive stuff was normal since this isn't 1980's TV, it was mild compared to stuff on TV today.

The addition of Junior Brown(been a fan of his for a long time) as the Balladeer and where they cut in his parts were too perfect. The music in the movie rocked. It was like the perfect songs at the right time. That made the movie an even better ride, especially Waylon's Good Ol' Boys at the beginning.

All in all , the movie was just plain AWESOME to me. Sure I wasn't happy with some of the casting but on the big screen it worked . I grew up with the Dukes since it came on back in 79. I didn't go in expecting this to be a copy of the original, but a fresh take on the Dukes. Right now I am on cloud 9 at how good it was.

I understand that all Dukes fans will not like this and have their opinion . That is their God given right and I respect that.

Can't wait for the DVD . Can't wait for the sequel.....

Darrell

One Helluva Ride

I have been preaching on here for the better part of a year to give this movie a chance. You know something , I did and the movie was better than what I expected. Hearing Waylon's Good Ol Boys in the opening I knew this would be a helluva good ride.

I think the "spirit" of the original Dukes was there. The basic elements of the show were there - plot, characters, balladeer, cars - but a bit modernized to 2005 not 1979. Think of it as Moonrunners meets the Dukes with some Smokey & The Bandit thrown in..

I have said in numerous threads that if Bo & Luke were played like modern day Good Ol' Boys but just a bit more wild that would be fine. Well folks that is what they were. Johnny Knoxville & SWS did a good job on the Duke cousins. I liked the way they were in the film.

I liked the way Boss Hogg and Roscoe were. More ruthless and serious than in the show . It seemed like the reverse from the show with Boss & Roscoe being serious in the movie than in the show and the same for Bo & Luke - more "fun" in the movie than in the show.

I loved and so did the packed theater , Uncle Jesse's one liners . Like the fact that he was more "colorful" in the movie.

The drug references weren't as bad as I had read. The suggestive stuff was normal since this isn't 1980's TV, it was mild compared to stuff on TV today.

The addition of Junior Brown(been a fan of his for a long time) as the Balladeer and where they cut in his parts were too perfect. The music in the movie rocked. It was like the perfect songs at the right time. That made the movie an even better ride, especially Waylon's Good Ol' Boys at the beginning.

All in all , the movie was just plain AWESOME to me. Sure I wasn't happy with some of the casting but on the big screen it worked . I grew up with the Dukes since it came on back in 79. I didn't go in expecting this to be a copy of the original, but a fresh take on the Dukes. Right now I am on cloud 9 at how good it was.

I understand that all Dukes fans will not like this and have their opinion . That is their God given right and I respect that.

Can't wait for the DVD . Can't wait for the sequel.....

Darrell

One Helluva Ride

I have been preaching on here for the better part of a year to give this movie a chance. You know something , I did and the movie was better than what I expected.

----Seems to me that you talked yourself into liking it BEFORE you even saw it....

But then, many have just as well talked themselves into hating it the same way.

Personally, I`ll just say that it could have been much better--and the series was not done Justice in any way --except the car stuntwork.

The movie is enjoyable as long as you can pretend that the series never happened and that this is the movie that "Moonrunners' wanted to be --but did not have the budget for.

One Helluva Ride

I have been preaching on here for the better part of a year to give this movie a chance. You know something , I did and the movie was better than what I expected.

----Seems to me that you talked yourself into liking it BEFORE you even saw it....

Personally, I`ll just say that it could have been much better--and the series was not done Justice in any way --except the car stuntwork.

The movie is enjoyable as long as you can pretend that the series never happened and that this is the movie that "Moonrunners' wanted to be --but did not have the budget for.

One Helluva Ride

The movie is enjoyable as long as you can pretend that the series never happened and that this is the movie that "Moonrunners' wanted to be --but did not have the budget for.[/quote]

Sorry..........Don't think so about talking myself into liking it. I have been very openminded about it since the beginning.I have been excited about a Dukes movie since there was talk of it back around 2002. And as far as not doing the series justice, I think it did a great job of capturing the spitit of the original without being an exact copy of the old....

I can't figure out why a lot of folks can't just move past the original series and look at a fresh take on it. Did people want a carbon copy movie version of the TV series? I am glad they changed it up the way they did...

Last thing I got to say about the movie...YEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAAA

Darrell

One Helluva Ride

The movie is enjoyable as long as you can pretend that the series never happened and that this is the movie that "Moonrunners' wanted to be --but did not have the budget for.[/quote]

Sorry..........Don't think so about talking myself into liking it. I have been very openminded about it since the beginning.I have been excited about a Dukes movie since there was talk of it back around 2002. And as far as not doing the series justice, I think it did a great job of capturing the spitit of the original without being an exact copy of the old....

I can't figure out why a lot of folks can't just move past the original series and look at a fresh take on it. Did people want a carbon copy movie version of the TV series? I am glad they changed it up the way they did...

Last thing I got to say about the movie...YEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAAA

Darrell

I had been waiting ofr a year to see the movie. Well it was worth the wait. Although I saw most of it through the trailers and the specials. The car stunts were amazing, truly better than the usual muck we have now. The chemistry between bo and luke were dead on. I think the funniest part was the phone book incidient, also the japanese part was good to. But plot wise I think they took it from the episode where hazzard was about to stripmined and just reworked it. Jesse Simpson, did a good job as daisy. Willie Nelson to me was worth the price of admission alone. Seeing the new rosco and boss hogg team, reminded me why I was scared of them when I was a kid, they were just mean. Sheeve cracked me up, the blowing up if the safe part was just too funny. I cannot agree with the newspapers who give this movie a bad review. I want a part 2. In the words of Capt. Redneck. one helleva ride!!!

I had been waiting ofr a year to see the movie. Well it was worth the wait. Although I saw most of it through the trailers and the specials. The car stunts were amazing, truly better than the usual muck we have now. The chemistry between bo and luke were dead on. I think the funniest part was the phone book incidient, also the japanese part was good to. But plot wise I think they took it from the episode where hazzard was about to stripmined and just reworked it. Jesse Simpson, did a good job as daisy. Willie Nelson to me was worth the price of admission alone. Seeing the new rosco and boss hogg team, reminded me why I was scared of them when I was a kid, they were just mean. Sheeve cracked me up, the blowing up if the safe part was just too funny. I cannot agree with the newspapers who give this movie a bad review. I want a part 2. In the words of Capt. Redneck. one helleva ride!!!

It was a good movie--except Rosco was too mean! I liked Waylon singing the theme song, and it was good to hear his son Shooter singing in the movie also ("Busted in Baylor County"). Don't you all think it would be boring to watch a copy of the original? The original will always be the best, but the update was well worth seeing.

It was a good movie--except Rosco was too mean! I liked Waylon singing the theme song, and it was good to hear his son Shooter singing in the movie also ("Busted in Baylor County"). Don't you all think it would be boring to watch a copy of the original? The original will always be the best, but the update was well worth seeing.

I'm sorry but I just have to say that I am sick and tired of the acting in the movie being trashed in comparrison to the TV show. Do you people have eyes and ears? John, Tom & Cathy could barely act. (Back couldn't act at all) I don't like Jessica and Cathy is a sweetheart and twice as beautiful but Jessica delivered her lines much much better.

If you think this movie was a spoof and not a tribute/origional take you are hopeless. Also the plot was crystal clear and very very Dukes. In fact it was better than the TV show because it was logical.

I love the Dukes. Watched them from 79-85 and grew up on a farm with a cousin down the road. The movie was better than the TV show in just about everyway possible (would have loved to have Sorrel Booke back but unfortunatly he is no longer with us-the rest of the TV cast can stay home).

I'm sorry but I just have to say that I am sick and tired of the acting in the movie being trashed in comparrison to the TV show. Do you people have eyes and ears? John, Tom & Cathy could barely act. (Back couldn't act at all) I don't like Jessica and Cathy is a sweetheart and twice as beautiful but Jessica delivered her lines much much better.

If you think this movie was a spoof and not a tribute/origional take you are hopeless. Also the plot was crystal clear and very very Dukes. In fact it was better than the TV show because it was logical.

I love the Dukes. Watched them from 79-85 and grew up on a farm with a cousin down the road. The movie was better than the TV show in just about everyway possible (would have loved to have Sorrel Booke back but unfortunatly he is no longer with us-the rest of the TV cast can stay home).

I just got back from seeing the afternoon matinee (you save $3 by going in the afternoon vs. evening). I was pretty impressed with the acting of Johnny, Sean, and Jessica. I was half-scared of M.C. Gainey's Rosco. Burt and Willie did a great job of their roles. Enos and Cooter in this movie weren't hard to look at (even Cletus was cute too). :wink:

I just got back from seeing the afternoon matinee (you save $3 by going in the afternoon vs. evening). I was pretty impressed with the acting of Johnny, Sean, and Jessica. I was half-scared of M.C. Gainey's Rosco. Burt and Willie did a great job of their roles. Enos and Cooter in this movie weren't hard to look at (even Cletus was cute too). :wink:

I saw it at the first showing at 1:30pm on AUGUST 5th i was the first one there at my theater and i watched and i am a true dukes fan as it gets and i thought it was as good as the original and it captured the spirit awesomely and it was perfect evn though there was some swearing it was really good and me and my grandmother who also loves the show and her and my uncles watched it every friday night when it first came out and they never missed an episode and neather have I and my whole family love the dukes it was an awesome show and still is too. I thought the movie was hillarious and awesome it may have minor swears but without the swears it wouldn't have been as a good as it was and there was 'bout 50 people there at my local theater to see it and the reason it was low was cause there was a lot of people still at work around here. The people who were there were ages 4 and up and they all loved the movie they all thought it was really good too. along with me.