Dukes Of Hazzard Review Thread

One Helluva Ride

I have been preaching on here for the better part of a year to give this movie a chance. You know something , I did and the movie was better than what I expected. Hearing Waylon's Good Ol Boys in the opening I knew this would be a helluva good ride.

I think the "spirit" of the original Dukes was there. The basic elements of the show were there - plot, characters, balladeer, cars - but a bit modernized to 2005 not 1979. Think of it as Moonrunners meets the Dukes with some Smokey & The Bandit thrown in..

I have said in numerous threads that if Bo & Luke were played like modern day Good Ol' Boys but just a bit more wild that would be fine. Well folks that is what they were. Johnny Knoxville & SWS did a good job on the Duke cousins. I liked the way they were in the film.

I liked the way Boss Hogg and Roscoe were. More ruthless and serious than in the show . It seemed like the reverse from the show with Boss & Roscoe being serious in the movie than in the show and the same for Bo & Luke - more "fun" in the movie than in the show.

I loved and so did the packed theater , Uncle Jesse's one liners . Like the fact that he was more "colorful" in the movie.

The drug references weren't as bad as I had read. The suggestive stuff was normal since this isn't 1980's TV, it was mild compared to stuff on TV today.

The addition of Junior Brown(been a fan of his for a long time) as the Balladeer and where they cut in his parts were too perfect. The music in the movie rocked. It was like the perfect songs at the right time. That made the movie an even better ride, especially Waylon's Good Ol' Boys at the beginning.

All in all , the movie was just plain AWESOME to me. Sure I wasn't happy with some of the casting but on the big screen it worked . I grew up with the Dukes since it came on back in 79. I didn't go in expecting this to be a copy of the original, but a fresh take on the Dukes. Right now I am on cloud 9 at how good it was.

I understand that all Dukes fans will not like this and have their opinion . That is their God given right and I respect that.

Can't wait for the DVD . Can't wait for the sequel.....

Darrell

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly I was not pleased with the movie. The Spirit of the Dukes (TV show) was NOT there at all. Too much foul language throughout the movie (the TV show very seldom used swearing (season 1-2).

Also, uncle Jessie was not a amoral character and foul mouth, he was a wholesome moral character that folks liked. I bet that Denver Pyle was rolling over in his grave.

It was like watching Mash the movie compared to the TV show-more raunchy and left me having to tell folks I know NOT to watch the movie or have their kids go to it.

The other issue was the sex scenes/inuendoes (albeat-sanitized for the PG-13). That was never an issue that was brought up in the show (not even in the original 5 episodes of season 1).

The only things that were the stunts in the movie. Other than that, it was not in the spirit of the original Dukes. I felt that Reynold's Boss Hogg was more edgeier than Booke. I wonder how the movie would have been if Danny Devito was Hogg and Kenny Rogers was Uncle Jessie.

I hope that if there is a Dukes 2, it goes back to the spirit of the show. Get rid of this "it must have foul mouth and sex (more than the usual Daisy in the bikini)" in order to make it modern. Anyone else felt the same way?

Frankly I was not pleased with the movie. The Spirit of the Dukes (TV show) was NOT there at all. Too much foul language throughout the movie (the TV show very seldom used swearing (season 1-2).

Also, uncle Jessie was not a amoral character and foul mouth, he was a wholesome moral character that folks liked. I bet that Denver Pyle was rolling over in his grave.

It was like watching Mash the movie compared to the TV show-more raunchy and left me having to tell folks I know NOT to watch the movie or have their kids go to it.

The other issue was the sex scenes/inuendoes (albeat-sanitized for the PG-13). That was never an issue that was brought up in the show (not even in the original 5 episodes of season 1).

The only things that were the stunts in the movie. Other than that, it was not in the spirit of the original Dukes. I felt that Reynold's Boss Hogg was more edgeier than Booke. I wonder how the movie would have been if Danny Devito was Hogg and Kenny Rogers was Uncle Jessie.

I hope that if there is a Dukes 2, it goes back to the spirit of the show. Get rid of this "it must have foul mouth and sex (more than the usual Daisy in the bikini)" in order to make it modern. Anyone else felt the same way?

Not me........read my review......

Not me........read my review......

One Helluva Ride

I have been preaching on here for the better part of a year to give this movie a chance. You know something , I did and the movie was better than what I expected. Hearing Waylon's Good Ol Boys in the opening I knew this would be a helluva good ride.

I think the "spirit" of the original Dukes was there. The basic elements of the show were there - plot, characters, balladeer, cars - but a bit modernized to 2005 not 1979. Think of it as Moonrunners meets the Dukes with some Smokey & The Bandit thrown in..

I have said in numerous threads that if Bo & Luke were played like modern day Good Ol' Boys but just a bit more wild that would be fine. Well folks that is what they were. Johnny Knoxville & SWS did a good job on the Duke cousins. I liked the way they were in the film.

I liked the way Boss Hogg and Roscoe were. More ruthless and serious than in the show . It seemed like the reverse from the show with Boss & Roscoe being serious in the movie than in the show and the same for Bo & Luke - more "fun" in the movie than in the show.

I loved and so did the packed theater , Uncle Jesse's one liners . Like the fact that he was more "colorful" in the movie.

The drug references weren't as bad as I had read. The suggestive stuff was normal since this isn't 1980's TV, it was mild compared to stuff on TV today.

The addition of Junior Brown(been a fan of his for a long time) as the Balladeer and where they cut in his parts were too perfect. The music in the movie rocked. It was like the perfect songs at the right time. That made the movie an even better ride, especially Waylon's Good Ol' Boys at the beginning.

All in all , the movie was just plain AWESOME to me. Sure I wasn't happy with some of the casting but on the big screen it worked . I grew up with the Dukes since it came on back in 79. I didn't go in expecting this to be a copy of the original, but a fresh take on the Dukes. Right now I am on cloud 9 at how good it was.

I understand that all Dukes fans will not like this and have their opinion . That is their God given right and I respect that.

Darrell

Capt._redneck thank you for sharing the same views as i shared on this movie from start to finish, everyone said this movie was suck because it was not wholesome like the show..grow a pair people this is 2005, remember, the show had to be wholesome because that was the way things were in 1979, plus the FCC heavily mandated content thanks in part to george carlin's 7 words you can't say list.

One Helluva Ride

Darrell

Capt._redneck thank you for sharing the same views as i shared on this movie from start to finish, everyone said this movie was suck because it was not wholesome like the show..grow a pair people this is 2005, remember, the show had to be wholesome because that was the way things were in 1979, plus the FCC heavily mandated content thanks in part to george carlin's 7 words you can't say list.

I'm going to go see it today. As far as the MASH connection, I really can't agree that that's a good connection cause remember that yes, as you said, the movie was more raunchy than the TV show, but then MASH was toned down some for TV and it's apparently the other way around here. But I'll comment later on today on my thoughts on the film, I'm looking forward to it currently. :)

I'm going to go see it today. As far as the MASH connection, I really can't agree that that's a good connection cause remember that yes, as you said, the movie was more raunchy than the TV show, but then MASH was toned down some for TV and it's apparently the other way around here. But I'll comment later on today on my thoughts on the film, I'm looking forward to it currently. :)

Went see the movie last night. Actually saw it twice. There was a Premiere showing in Baton Rouge at Rave theather. There was a General Lee & four of the race cars used in the movie including the Yellow Vette owned by friend of my Dad's plus lots of local people who played extras in the movie...

Man, it was a funny movie and the car action was top notch... I think the DVD will be over the top with all the stunt mishaps and more racing action.... The only flaw I saw was Boss Hogg boiling crawfish one at a time and when he takes a crawfish out it's still moving....

I'll see it again...

Went see the movie last night. Actually saw it twice. There was a Premiere showing in Baton Rouge at Rave theather. There was a General Lee & four of the race cars used in the movie including the Yellow Vette owned by friend of my Dad's plus lots of local people who played extras in the movie...

Man, it was a funny movie and the car action was top notch... I think the DVD will be over the top with all the stunt mishaps and more racing action.... The only flaw I saw was Boss Hogg boiling crawfish one at a time and when he takes a crawfish out it's still moving....

I'll see it again...

Well we used our free ticket from Season 3 to see it along with a little extra cash we got from mowing the lawn. We'll try to balance out our comments.

Good: The General Lee...nuff said

Bad: The Sheevs guy...totally unnecessary and absolutely disgusting.

Good: Daisy defending herself at the Boar's Nest

Bad: Daisy having to use bikini's all the time to fool cops. Catherine Bach could snooker out information and distract people without needing to show off so much.

Good: Bo's infatuation with....the car...really funny, esp. at the end.

Bad: Luke...just...bad...liked it that the girl was shooting at him and that he was being thrown around while clinging to a safe. He was a jerk.

Good: Bo staring Luke down when he found out about the girl and not watching the road. That was funny.

Bad: Uncle Jesse not being as involved. He coulda had a bigger part in the whole thing.

Good: Enos got to dance with Daisy at the end.

Bad: Enos is too short.

Good: Cooter doing miraculous work on the General.

Bad: Okay, what's with the three guys in the smokehouse at the end? Or do we want to know?

Good: Burt Reynolds as Boss...that was good.

Bad: Whoever it was that played Rosco...Ugly as sin and not funny...isn't Rosco supposed to be funny?

Good: Flash eating Boss's food.

Bad: Flash not involved with the movie much...and is also a boy dog.

Jam says that's enough for now. May make more comments later.

Well we used our free ticket from Season 3 to see it along with a little extra cash we got from mowing the lawn. We'll try to balance out our comments.

Good: The General Lee...nuff said

Bad: The Sheevs guy...totally unnecessary and absolutely disgusting.

Good: Daisy defending herself at the Boar's Nest

Bad: Daisy having to use bikini's all the time to fool cops. Catherine Bach could snooker out information and distract people without needing to show off so much.

Good: Bo's infatuation with....the car...really funny, esp. at the end.

Bad: Luke...just...bad...liked it that the girl was shooting at him and that he was being thrown around while clinging to a safe. He was a jerk.

Good: Bo staring Luke down when he found out about the girl and not watching the road. That was funny.

Bad: Uncle Jesse not being as involved. He coulda had a bigger part in the whole thing.

Good: Enos got to dance with Daisy at the end.

Bad: Enos is too short.

Good: Cooter doing miraculous work on the General.

Bad: Okay, what's with the three guys in the smokehouse at the end? Or do we want to know?

Good: Burt Reynolds as Boss...that was good.

Bad: Whoever it was that played Rosco...Ugly as sin and not funny...isn't Rosco supposed to be funny?

Good: Flash eating Boss's food.

Bad: Flash not involved with the movie much...and is also a boy dog.

Jam says that's enough for now. May make more comments later.

I saw the movie this afternoon and I thought it was pretty good also. I also wasn't a big fan of M.C. Gainey as Roscoe either. He just didn't fit. The car shots were really good and you have to stay for the credits. Seeing the General in action is the best part of the whole thing!!!!! Later

Completely agree it was an awesome movie i loved it! YEEHAW!

I saw the movie this afternoon and I thought it was pretty good also. I also wasn't a big fan of M.C. Gainey as Roscoe either. He just didn't fit. The car shots were really good and you have to stay for the credits. Seeing the General in action is the best part of the whole thing!!!!! Later

Completely agree it was an awesome movie i loved it! YEEHAW!

I went with my nephew today. He's ten...but the kid's a horror film freak, so he's used to that kind of stuff.

That being said, Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott were both a hoot as Luke and Bo. For all the hype Jessica Simpson got, the only thing she was used for was wearing a bikini and hitting on cops for info. Very impressive, Jess. :roll:

Dave Koechner was a perfect fit as Cooter, albeit not as crazy. MC Gainey did not do Rosco P. Coltrane proud; he could've added at least a sliver of humor to the character instead of being Psycho Lawman.

Sheev was just plain weird. Enos was still the lovable dipstick (and I'll voice agreement with Jamanda with the ending. Yeehaw!).

Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg is still a tad unbelievable on paper, but he played the part well. His plan to strip-mine Hazzard and deny the folks a chance to object during a hearing (because they'll all be at the Hazzard Derby) is classic Hogg, although it lacks other baddies to do that infamous double cross. The crawfish part was interesting, though it would've been wicked funny to see Rosco grab the live one.

Finally, Willie Nelson. Wow. A bit too colorful, but he had the one-liners going for him (which the audience loved, especially the donkey/onion joke).

Of course, I can't forget the General. As beautiful on the big screen as he is on the small, the stunts were unbelievable. I can imagine the lion's share of the budget was solely on cop cars getting destroyed in insane fashion.

A few drawbacks I have was with the excessive language used througout the film (especially from Jesse), and the fact that the Confederate flag got ripped on. Yes, it's a controversial part of American history, but apologizing for it isn't going to solve it. (personally, as a Cheesehead Yankee I have no problem with the flag)

Overall, the film did not disappoint me, although it'll never hold a flaming arrow to the television classic.

I went with my nephew today. He's ten...but the kid's a horror film freak, so he's used to that kind of stuff.

That being said, Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott were both a hoot as Luke and Bo. For all the hype Jessica Simpson got, the only thing she was used for was wearing a bikini and hitting on cops for info. Very impressive, Jess. :roll:

Dave Koechner was a perfect fit as Cooter, albeit not as crazy. MC Gainey did not do Rosco P. Coltrane proud; he could've added at least a sliver of humor to the character instead of being Psycho Lawman.

Sheev was just plain weird. Enos was still the lovable dipstick (and I'll voice agreement with Jamanda with the ending. Yeehaw!).

Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg is still a tad unbelievable on paper, but he played the part well. His plan to strip-mine Hazzard and deny the folks a chance to object during a hearing (because they'll all be at the Hazzard Derby) is classic Hogg, although it lacks other baddies to do that infamous double cross. The crawfish part was interesting, though it would've been wicked funny to see Rosco grab the live one.

Finally, Willie Nelson. Wow. A bit too colorful, but he had the one-liners going for him (which the audience loved, especially the donkey/onion joke).

Of course, I can't forget the General. As beautiful on the big screen as he is on the small, the stunts were unbelievable. I can imagine the lion's share of the budget was solely on cop cars getting destroyed in insane fashion.

A few drawbacks I have was with the excessive language used througout the film (especially from Jesse), and the fact that the Confederate flag got ripped on. Yes, it's a controversial part of American history, but apologizing for it isn't going to solve it. (personally, as a Cheesehead Yankee I have no problem with the flag)

Overall, the film did not disappoint me, although it'll never hold a flaming arrow to the television classic.

No the movie isn't as good as the TV show. I too, used my free ticket from the Season 3 DVD and saw the movie today. I too, was one of those that was real skeptical about this film and now that I've seen it...

I'll HAPPILY pay to see it again!!!

Granted, I didn't care too much for the excessive language, but I suspect that comes with the territory these days. The driving was insane, I loved it the whole way through!! I thought Bo staring Luke down in the General Lee instead of watching the road was hilarious!! I have to say I didn't care too much for the actor playing Rosco but it was an interesting twist, having Rosco be the big one and Boss the skinny little guy this time around. So in that manner I guess he was ok. I don't remember ever seeing Burt Reynolds as the bad guy and he did a fantastic job as Boss I thought.

There was a lot of comedy in the film, and I laughed my tail off as did the rest of the theater. Granted, it was only 1/3 to 1/2 full, but it was the first matinee showing. Nevertheless, we all loved that film!! I hope they do a Dukes of Hazzard II in a couple of years cause this was great fun, I hope to see it again in the theater and I will definitely be getting the DVD this Christmas!!!!

YEE HAW!!!!!

No the movie isn't as good as the TV show. I too, used my free ticket from the Season 3 DVD and saw the movie today. I too, was one of those that was real skeptical about this film and now that I've seen it...

I'll HAPPILY pay to see it again!!!

Granted, I didn't care too much for the excessive language, but I suspect that comes with the territory these days. The driving was insane, I loved it the whole way through!! I thought Bo staring Luke down in the General Lee instead of watching the road was hilarious!! I have to say I didn't care too much for the actor playing Rosco but it was an interesting twist, having Rosco be the big one and Boss the skinny little guy this time around. So in that manner I guess he was ok. I don't remember ever seeing Burt Reynolds as the bad guy and he did a fantastic job as Boss I thought.

There was a lot of comedy in the film, and I laughed my tail off as did the rest of the theater. Granted, it was only 1/3 to 1/2 full, but it was the first matinee showing. Nevertheless, we all loved that film!! I hope they do a Dukes of Hazzard II in a couple of years cause this was great fun, I hope to see it again in the theater and I will definitely be getting the DVD this Christmas!!!!

YEE HAW!!!!!