Defective DVDs!!!!!! Does Anybody Have This Problem?!

Greetings from Hazzard Tn.

I am normally in a good mood when I visit this site and post in the forum. But tonight, I am so angry, I'm seeing red. Redder than Uncle Jesse's hunting cap.

RIDDLE ME THIS:

WHEN IS A COMPLETE DVD BOXSET OF ANY SEASON OF ANY TV SERIES A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY?

ANSWER: WHEN ONE DANG *%@#! DISC IN THE SET IS DEFECTIVE!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys and gals, but I need to vent.

I bought the 3rd season of the Dukes of Hazzard boxset at Dukesfest and on the 4th of July, Ben Jones autographed it for me at Cooter's Place in Nashville. It has taken me this long to nearly complete viewing it. Last night, I'm enjoying the Hack of Hazzard when it comes to the scene in Shoveltown right before the fight scene, the $!@% disc starts freezing up and won't move forward or skips and I can't enjoy the rest of the episode!! What's worse, the Canterbury Crock won't play at all!!!! I tried cleaning the disc and it didn't help worth a tinker's d---!!!!

I have the same problem with the first season DVD release of Dallas. The last two episodes on the last disc are defective and won't play either. On the 3rd season of Wonder Woman, only one episode on the last disc is defective!!!

My two questions are:

1: WHAT GIVES?!!!!!!!!

2: Do any of you have this kind of problem with any TV DVD boxset, whether it be the Dukes or another show?

I've already spent near $45 bucks on this set at Dukesfest and now I'll have to spend that much more for another 3rd season boxset just to test and see if that particular disc will work!!!

I've already bought the 4th season of the Dukes on DVD and I fear of having this same problem. BTW, Cooter's Place got the boxsets a few days early before the official release.

I wonder if the problem might be with WB and their DVD manufacturing dept. because Wonder Woman and Dallas are also owned by WB. All I know is, if I don't find a complete set that works, I'm going to be furious.

It's stupid problems like this that make you reconsider throwing out your VCR and VHS tapes. At least they don't freeze up and skip.

Once again, I apologize, but I am a disgruntled Dukes fan who just wants to view every episode on DVD without problems.

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

I am normally in a good mood when I visit this site and post in the forum. But tonight, I am so angry, I'm seeing red. Redder than Uncle Jesse's hunting cap.

RIDDLE ME THIS:

WHEN IS A COMPLETE DVD BOXSET OF ANY SEASON OF ANY TV SERIES A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY?

I bought the 3rd season of the Dukes of Hazzard boxset at Dukesfest and on the 4th of July, Ben Jones autographed it for me at Cooter's Place in Nashville. It has taken me this long to nearly complete viewing it. Last night, I'm enjoying the Hack of Hazzard when it comes to the scene in Shoveltown right before the fight scene, the $!@% disc starts freezing up and won't move forward or skips and I can't enjoy the rest of the episode!! What's worse, the Canterbury Crock won't play at all!!!! I tried cleaning the disc and it didn't help worth a tinker's d---!!!!

I have the same problem with the first season DVD release of Dallas. The last two episodes on the last disc are defective and won't play either. On the 3rd season of Wonder Woman, only one episode on the last disc is defective!!!

My two questions are:

2: Do any of you have this kind of problem with any TV DVD boxset, whether it be the Dukes or another show?

I've already spent near $45 bucks on this set at Dukesfest and now I'll have to spend that much more for another 3rd season boxset just to test and see if that particular disc will work!!!

I've already bought the 4th season of the Dukes on DVD and I fear of having this same problem. BTW, Cooter's Place got the boxsets a few days early before the official release.

I wonder if the problem might be with WB and their DVD manufacturing dept. because Wonder Woman and Dallas are also owned by WB. All I know is, if I don't find a complete set that works, I'm going to be furious.

It's stupid problems like this that make you reconsider throwing out your VCR and VHS tapes. At least they don't freeze up and skip.

Once again, I apologize, but I am a disgruntled Dukes fan who just wants to view every episode on DVD without problems.

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

I had this problem with my season 1 set. I couldn't watch the end of The Big Heist or the beginning of Limo One is Missing because it would freeze up. I took the dvds to my parents house and played it on their player, the disc worked fine. I still cannot get those two episodes to work in my dvd player even after numerous cleanings. I haven't had this happen on any of the other seasons though. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's the way it is. I wish you luck.

I had this problem with my season 1 set. I couldn't watch the end of The Big Heist or the beginning of Limo One is Missing because it would freeze up. I took the dvds to my parents house and played it on their player, the disc worked fine. I still cannot get those two episodes to work in my dvd player even after numerous cleanings. I haven't had this happen on any of the other seasons though. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's the way it is. I wish you luck.

I had problem with season 3. Disc 2 side b would not work. There was nothing on it. So i took it back to wal mart and got my money back. Then went to different store got season 3 again this set has no problems. If any is wondering yes both disc set had movie tickets. Yes i kept them both. Still wondering if I should go see the movie. :lol:

I had problem with season 3. Disc 2 side b would not work. There was nothing on it. So i took it back to wal mart and got my money back. Then went to different store got season 3 again this set has no problems. If any is wondering yes both disc set had movie tickets. Yes i kept them both. Still wondering if I should go see the movie. :lol:

• 15 years later...
On 8/1/2005 at 11:47 PM, The Voice Man of Hazzard said:

RIDDLE ME THIS:

My two questions are:

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

That's why VHS tapes ARE much better and SHOULD be brought back out to market again! Aside from the danger of being a meal fer the VCR, at least there's no other dangers with the tapes. They can't get all scratched up etc.

1 hour ago, Skipper Duke said:

That's why VHS tapes ARE much better and SHOULD be brought back out to market again! Aside from the danger of being a meal fer the VCR, at least there's no other dangers with the tapes. They can't get all scratched up etc.

I can't agree with you there, Skipper. Although I've had the occasional defective DVD, the pros far outweigh the cons. DVD offers much better picture quality, a lot more convenience for accessing scenes, and you don't have to rewind them! Besides that, there's the sheer bulk of VHS tapes. My complete Dukes DVD collection takes up about six inches of shelf space - on VHS it would take up about four feet.

8 minutes ago, HossC said:

I can't agree with you there, Skipper. Although I've had the occasional defective DVD, the pros far outweigh the cons. DVD offers much better picture quality, a lot more convenience for accessing scenes, and you don't have to rewind them! Besides that, there's the sheer bulk of VHS tapes. My complete Dukes DVD collection takes up about six inches of shelf space - on VHS it would take up about four feet.

Wow that would be alot of space.

I still have a bunch of VHS tapes of Dukes. A friend of mine who lived in town and had cable TV recorded them for me. It was such a thrill to watch a Dukes show any time I wanted. I wore those tapes out....even though they still work. I'll never throw them away though because they have sentimental value....like all my Dukes stuff. 

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

I still have a bunch of VHS tapes of Dukes. A friend of mine who lived in town and had cable TV recorded them for me. It was such a thrill to watch a Dukes show any time I wanted. I wore those tapes out....even though they still work. I'll never throw them away though because they have sentimental value....like all my Dukes stuff. 

Wow Cousin Roger Duke! :)