Dukes Movie - June 2005 release

Somethin' I just gotta add here. Elsewhere the Forums, I made an offhand comment about Warner Bros possibly watching the Starsky and Hutch box office receipts to predict how the Dukes would do.

This turned out to be a damn good guess. The very fate of the Dukes project seems to have been hanging on how Starsky and Hutch did in the theaters. Doesn't seem a fair comparison, as Dukes lasted more seasons, had more merchandising, and had two TV-movies, n' so on.

But this is Hollywood, ya'll. I offer the article below for yer edification. It's several weeks old but worth the read.

'Dukes of Hazzard' Film Making Its Way

Mon, Feb 09, 2004, 12:02 PM PT

By Hanh Nguyen

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The General Lee is revving its engine.

The big-screen remake of the '80s series "Dukes of Hazzard" is patiently waiting in the Warner Bros. wings to see if it will get the green light. "Dukes" follows the adventures of Bo and Luke Duke, who like to drive fast and evade the law, namely the portly and frustrated Boss Hog and his handful of inept lawmen.

John O'Brien, who wrote the project's first draft, couldn't divulge many details about the script, but did explain the delay.

"Warner Bros. is waiting to see how 'Starsky & Hutch' does," O'Brien tells Zap2it.com at a San Fernando Valley bar on Saturday night (Feb. 7).

O'Brien also helped write the "Starsky" screenplay, which is based on the '70s TV series about another blond and brunette duo who drive fast and engage in shenanigans. The film stars Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson as the titular cops and Snoop Dogg as their informant Huggy Bear.

O'Brien had also talked with "Dukes" fan Ashton Kutcher, but could not confirm any casting. The 25-year-old Kutcher had dressed up as the dark-haired Hazzard County scofflaw for Halloween one year, and has been sniffing around the project ever since.

O'Brien has also written the Jet Li-starring "Cradle 2 the Grave" and did a rewrite of Warner Bros.' "Catwoman" starring Halle Berry.

The studio is hoping to begin production on "Dukes" later this year. "Starsky" is scheduled to open nationwide on Friday, March 5.

( A postscript from yers truly - Starsky & Hutch box office receipts, accumilated through last weekend, were at $51,500,921. This, added to other info I've stumbled upon, says the light is green, the Dukes movie is a "go" and should be filming as early as next month or in May. That's not gospel, and that's not from WB, but hell, I can read the cards.)

Ya'll are duly informed. 8)

Brian

Speaking of bad scripts, anyone else see the news where Michael Jackson wants to star in a movie where he morphs into a car?

Excuse me language, but holy frickin' cripes...WHAT director would give that man the time of day?!

Of course the way things have been looking, that car will be the General Lee.

Ok, thats my rant for the week. Carry on.

Pendragon

(MaryAnne, if this post if completely off topic, free feel to delete but I had to write something before I went down to Hollywood and started smacking people with a stupid stick.)