Hazzardous Moving Days Ahead

Hello, Y'all. :)

I'm back to writing, but only on a limited basis only, due to a busy work schedule.

This new story is a sequel to "A Moving Decision". Y'all may need to read "A Moving Decision" before reading this one. It will tell you how my character may or may not be moving to California in the near future.

TIMELINE OF STORY: Late June 1993

This story will feature the characters of Jack Stewart & Steve Sloan who are characters on Diagnosis Murder. For more info on that show, go into

www.diagnosismurder.com or www.paxtv.com.

If y'all have any comments about this story, feel free to e-mail me or make a comment in Redhead's Comment page anytime!

Take Care Y'all!

Vicki

STORY STARTS NEXT POST!

A couple of days later...

Near Chickasaw/Fulton County Line...

On an early summer morning, Vicki silently drives south towards Atlanta, thinking about everything that has happened to her in the last few months.

However, she was not alone as she drove. Vicki was taking her new boyfriend Jack to the airport so that he could catch his flight back to Los Angeles.

"So did you decide anything yet, sweetheart?" Jack asked as he looked outside the black mustang at the wildflowers.

"I don't know, Jack." Vicki said, sighing loudly as she drove onto the interstate heading towards Atlanta.

"You need to decide something, Vicki. I already told Steve that you were thinking about moving to L.A. to take that job that he offered to you." Jack said, taking Vicki's hand. Then he added under his breath, "And to move into my heart."

Vicki sighed loudly as she smiled at Jack, thinking about what he said.

"I know, Jack. I spoke to Steve on the phone last night. He told me that I could have the job. The only problem is, that I have never worked in homicides or murder investigations before. I am just a small town Sheriff."

Jack smiled lovingly at Vicki as he glanced at the traffic in front of him.

"I know. But I think that you'll do fine. Steve told me that with the hours & classes that you had at the police academy in criminal investigations, he thinks that you'll be able to help him, Mark, and me solve crimes or murders."

"I'll think about it, Jack." Vicki said as she pulled up in front of the airport terminal a few minutes later.

After taking off his seatbelt, Jack gave Vicki a hug.

He then got out of the car and then walked over to the driver's side of the mustang. He then peeked his head inside the car and kissed Vicki hungrily on the mouth.

Pulling away from Vicki, Jack turned around & smiled at her for the last time. "I sure hope that you'll think about it, Vicki. I want you...to take that job and move to California to be with me."

"I'll think about it, Jack," said Vicki, waving at Jack as he walked towards the airport terminal...

Near Chickasaw County Line...About an hour later...

BALLADEER: "Y'all, Vicki did think about what Jack was telling her. She thought long and hard as she was driving back to Chickasaw.

She thought about all the fun times she had with her family & friends growing up in Hazzard & Chickasaw Counties.

She thought back from the 1st time that she went on patrol with Rosco, to the time when she & Hughie Hogg joined forces to take over Hazzard County.

She also thought about how she accepted a full time job working as a Deputy despite everyone's protest when she started working with Sheriff Little in Chickasaw. Vicki smiled with a spark of glitter in her eyes, thinking about her job working in Chickasaw County.

She loved her job. Especially when she would hide her patrol car near Hazzard County line. She loved catching speeders, especially the Dukes when they crossed over the county line.

Yep, Vicki may love her job, But she doesn't seem too happy just now as she drives in Chickasaw. I wonder if she has made a decision about her future???"

About 5 minutes later...

At Chickasaw County Courthouse...

As Vicki pulls up in front of the Courthouse about 5 minutes later behind a very familiar white volkswagon convertible, Daisy Duke pulls her white jeep up behind the black mustang.

"Daisy! What are you doing here?" Vicki asked, surprised as she noticed Daisy walking towards her.

"Vicki, I'm glad that I finally caught you. I followed you ever since you left the airport in Atlanta. I've got to ask you something...Are you going to be leaving Hazzard & Chickasaw Counties for good?"

Vicki smiled at her ex-cousin in-law. Despite her & Bo separated & divorced a year earlier, she was still friends with all the Dukes even Bo. "I am thinking about it, Daisy. Jack's friend Steve Sloan offered me a job that pays me double what I'm making here in Chickasaw."

Katie Williams Duke, Vicki's best friend & Coy's wife walked down the stairs of the Courthouse. "Vicki, by the look on your face, I can tell that you decided something. Did you make a decision? Are you going to be moving to California?"

Vicki smiled at Katie & Daisy as she walked up the steps of the Courthouse.

"Yeah, I have decided about my job." Turning towards Katie, she added, "Is Hughie back from lunch yet?"

"Vicki, you can't be serious. You're really going to resign as Sheriff of Chickasaw County?" Daisy asked surprised.

"Daisy, I am pretty serious about it. I've been thinking about it for the last 2 weeks. Besides, Jack took me out to California 2 weeks ago, and they offered me a job that I would be making double what I am making right now." Vicki said as she hurried inside the Courthouse out of the rain that started to sprinkle.

Katie followed behind them. "Vicki, what is Hughie going to say about this? He'll be upset if you leave Chickasaw County."

"Yeah, you two go way back." Daisy added. "I can remember the 1st scheme you & Hughie did together...Car stripping cars...what were you thinking back then?" She asked laughing.

Vicki looked out the window, watching the rain come down, then laughed, thinking about Daisy's remark about her & Hughie Hogg. "Daisy, that was almost 15 years ago. I was a wild teenager then. I've changed drastically since then."

"Ain't that the truth. You have changed since then. But who's going to take over running Chickasaw County?" Katie asked as she watched Vicki walk over to Hughie's Office Door.

"I don't know..." Vicki said as she knocked on Hughie's office door...

BALLADEER: "Folks, things were different in Chickasaw County now these days. When Sheriff Little was still around before he retired, he didn't run Chickasaw, nor did Vicki, but Hughie Hogg ran on "owned" Chickasaw County."

"When the Dukes & Boss Hogg threw Hughie out of Hazzard County for good several years earlier, Hughie Hogg swore that he would get even.

And he did just that when he took over as County Commissioner of Chickasaw County. Now he could run things HIS way. Any of the Dukes or Rosco & his cousins had to watch their backs from Hughie & Vicki when driving through Chickasaw County. It wasn't a pretty sight for anyone when that happened either."

As Vicki was walking into his office a short time later, Hughie Hogg was at the window, looking outside at the rain. As Vicki walked inside, Hughie turned around and smiled at the redhead.

"Vicki, what are you doing here on your day off?" Hughie asked as he walked over to Vicki, giving her a hug.

"Well, let's see...first of all, I typed up all the speed-trap reports on my typewriter at home. After that, I took Jack to the airport so he could catch his flight back to Los Angeles."

Hughie looked closely at Vicki. He could tell that there was something different about her. She looked like she was happy. It was the 1st time that he had seen her smile in weeks.

"I know what you're thinking, Vicki." Hughie said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "So, are you going to tell me when you are leaving Chickasaw?"

AUTHOR NOTE: As y'all can tell, I have brought back one of Hazzard County's meanest characters, but it is only for a few more lines. As some of you author's & readers know, my character had once shared a past with Hughie Hogg back in early 2002. Just a little info for y'all. --Vicki-- :wink:

Vicki walked over to the window and looked outside at the rain coming down. "Hughie, how did you know that I was thinking about leaving for good?"

"Katie told me. Plus what Katie didn't tell me, Jack filled me in on the rest." Hughie said as he sat back down in his reclining chair behind his desk.

"Why are you thinking about leaving Chickasaw County and all your family & friends around here?"

Sighing loudly, Vicki walked away from the window and sat down in a chair next to Hughie's desk. "I'm not leaving because of the money or anything, because you pay me very, very well. It's because I want to take my life into a new direction. And moving to California may be exactly what I need right now."

Hughie placed his hand over Vicki's for a moment. Vicki could sense it in her heart that Hughie was feeling a bit hurt by her reaction. "Are you sure that you REALLY want to do this? You could stay here with me..."

Vicki felt herself smiling slightly, but she continued to look down, not really looking at Hughie. "This is crazy..." she thought to herself. "I think that Hughie is actually sad that I am leaving Chickasaw County."

AUTHOR NOTE: As y'all can tell, I have brought back one of Hazzard County's meanest characters, but it is only for a few more lines. As some of you author's & readers know, my character had once shared a past with Hughie Hogg back in early 2002. Just a little info for y'all. --Vicki-- :wink:

Vicki walked over to the window and looked outside at the rain coming down. "Hughie, how did you know that I was thinking about leaving for good?"

"Katie told me. Plus what Katie didn't tell me, Jack filled me in on the rest." Hughie said as he sat back down in his reclining chair behind his desk.

"Why are you thinking about leaving Chickasaw County and all your family & friends around here?"

Sighing loudly, Vicki walked away from the window and sat down in a chair next to Hughie's desk. "I'm not leaving because of the money or anything, because you pay me very, very well. It's because I want to take my life into a new direction. And moving to California may be exactly what I need right now."

Hughie placed his hand over Vicki's for a moment. Vicki could sense it in her heart that Hughie was feeling a bit hurt by her reaction. "Are you sure that you REALLY want to do this? You could stay here with me..."

Vicki felt herself smiling slightly, but she continued to look down, not really looking at Hughie. "This is crazy..." she thought to herself. "I think that Hughie is actually sad that I am leaving Chickasaw County."

• 2 months later...

Hughie Hogg walked over to the window where he joined his old longtime girlfriend.

"So you're saying that you're resigning as Acting Sheriff of Chickasaw County?"

"I guess so, Hughie." Vicki said sadly, shaking her head as she placed her hand on Hughie's arm. "The money out in California was too hard to refuse."

Hughie grinned greededly. "And your new boyfriend Jack has money too. He's a doctor."

Vicki smiled slightly. "He's only a 3rd year resident doctor. But he is NOTHING compared to you."

Hughie hugged Vicki after that remark. "You're absolutely right on that, sugar. I make money sometimes illegally, and Jack makes money the right way."

After a few minutes of watching the rain come down, Vicki grabbed Hughie's arm painfully, but playfully as she pulled him outside towards her classic black mustang.

"What's going on?" Hughie asked quizzingly as he got into the passenger side of the mustang.

"Hughie, do you remember the 1st time that you rode in my car?" Vicki asked, smiling at Hughie as she drove recklessly out of town.

Hughie laughed wickedly. "Yeah, you picked me up at State College, then you took me into Hazzard County to my uncle's house." Hughie continued laughing. "No one knew that a few days later that we would be car-stripping

cars all over Hazzard County."

Vicki laughed, as she tucked a loose strand of her auburn-fiery red hair away from her eyes. "Those were the days, Hughie. To this day, none of the Dukes knew that I was behind it." Vicki flew recklessly across Chickasaw Creek. "I think that was the 1st scam that we ever did together."

As Vicki flew across the creek, Hughie held on to the door handle. "Ouch. What are trying to do flying like the Dukes like that? Has Coy Duke been giving you driving lessons in the General Lee?" :lol:

AUTHOR'S NOTE---Hello, all. As You know, this story does feature some of the Dukes secondary characters that y'all grown to dislike. lol... Timeline of this story is after Daisy, Bo, and Luke went off to their separate ways & a few years before the 1st reunion movie. This is next to last post in the story...Happy reading! :wink:

"Hughie, you know perfectly well that I'm not crazy about that CAR anymore." Vicki remarked coldly as she was driving back towards Chickasaw as the rain stopped. "I'm just testing my car out to see if she is in good shape...so I can sell her..."

Surprised, Hughie took off his seat belt as Vicki pulled up in front of the Chickasaw County Courthouse. "Are you sure about it, Vicki? You don't want to drive your car 2,000 miles to California?" Hughie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, Hughie. My car was built & rebuilt here. It needs to stay here. Besides, I'm going to use the money that I sell my car for, and buy a new one out in California." Vicki said as she got out of her car.

"Maybe you should keep it in the family," Hughie said a few minutes later as he followed Vicki inside the Courthouse.

Vicki laughed. "Hughie, I'm not in much of a mood to sell my car to Bo. Diane would probably sell it the next day if I sold it to Bo."

"After 13 years, you still remember the day that Diane stole Bo the 1st time away from you," Hughie remarked, looking at Vicki as she gave him a dirty look. Changing the subject, He smiled at her. "I was thinking just now if you don't want the Dukes to have your car, why don't you sell it to me. I would give you anything for it."

"That is worth thinking about it, Hughie. I might just take you up on it," Vicki said with a smile as she gave Hughie her letter of resignation.

Several days later...Vicki's apartment...Thursday, July 15, 1993

A couple of days later, everything fell into place for Vicki as was spending her last few days in Hazzard & Chickasaw County. She had given Hughie her resigination, had sold her car to Hughie, and now she was packing her last suitcase as she was leaving on a plane later that morning.

"Vicki, are you sure that you want to do this?" Mary asked as she watched her daughter packed her last suitcase.

"Mother, I'm positively sure that I want to do this. I've got to start my life over. And I think moving to California to be with Jack would be the best thing for me right now," Vicki said, shuting her last suitcase, then putting it with the other suitcases.

"I can't imagine you being a junior detective with the LAPD," Mary said, surprised as she watched Vicki. "When you get out there, you'll have to take Enos out to celebrate your new job."

"I know. When I told Enos a few months ago that I was looking around for a new job, I didn't think that he would take my resume to the LAPD. That surprised me." Vicki said, looking outside as the cars drove by her apartment window.

She then continued. "Especially, when the job opening was in Malibu where Jack lives. You know, I think that Enos isn't the only one I have to thank when I get out there, Jack was probably in on it too."

About an hour later...at Atlanta International Airport...

About an hour later, Vicki was pacing back in forth in front of the airplane terminal at the airport, waiting for her plane to arrive from Dallas.

"Vicki, won't you sit down and relax?" Daisy asked, as she watched her ex-cousin in-law pace back and worth.

Daisy was at the farm visiting with Jesse for a few days when she found through Coy & Vance that Vicki had accepted a new job out of state.

"Why are you so afraid of flying?" Katie, Coy's wife & Vicki's best friend, asked as she walked over to where Vicki was, who was looking out the window.

Vicki sighed loudly. "Do y'all remember my 1st day when I became a Chickasaw County Deputy a long time ago?" Katie & Daisy nodded slightly.

"That is how nervous I am right now. I'm having second thoughts about taking this new job now."

"Vicki, you need to do this. This is the perfect time for you to start your life over. It's been a year since you & Bo divorced. You need to start over," Daisy said, giving Vicki a hug as the redhead trembled.

"I just don't know about working in a fast paced job...My new job is different than being an Acting County Sheriff. I never worked as an detective before." Vicki sighed loudly as she noticed a plane coming into view as she looked outside.

"You know, Enos was telling me the same thing when me & you went out there a month ago to visit him. He told me that he started out the same way like you, and one day they promoted him to detective," said Daisy.

"That is something to think about, Daisy," Vicki sighed loudly.

"Of course it is, sugar. Just believe in yourself. Everything with work out for the best," Daisy smiled at Vicki.

--Just then, the reservations clerk announced Vicki's flight. "Flight 408 for Los Angeles, with stops in Little Rock, Oklahoma City, and Phoenix will be leaving in 15 minutes. Thank you."

Vicki smiled as she picked up her carry-on bag. "I guess this is it."

"I guess so. Are you ready to start your life over?" Katie asked, giving Vicki a hug.

"I'll be ready once I'm out in California with Jack," Vicki said, returning Katie's hug then giving Daisy a hug. "Y'all give the rest of the family a hug for me, and give a special hug to Rosco & his kin for me."

"You know that we will, Vicki. Call us once you get settled in your new apartment in California." Daisy said, waving as Vicki walked towards the airplane corridor.

"You know that I will keep y'all updated on how it's going when I'm on the beaches of Southern California with Jack," Vicki waved at her 2 best friends, thinking to herself she added, "You know, this will be the last time I will be in Georgia for a while..."

***THE END***