Raise The Titanic(1980)

Skipper Duke

When asked to comment on his 1980 movie Raise The Titanic, the producer/maker said "Raise The Titanic. It would've been cheaper to lower the bloody Atlantic!"

Very pricey movie. Due the special effects and the giant 55 foot life sized miniature model big enough for people to walk on. Most of the budget was spent on building that giant model.

Clive Cussler author of the book the movie is based on of the same name he was not happy with the end result, and refused to sell that studio the rights to make anymore movies based on his books for awhile.

• 1 month later...

Titanic fans/buffs... I've learned new evidence in the Titanic crash. The trying to reverse the engines from Ahead Full to Full Astern caused 'em to crash. The wake/draft/slipstream left behind by the ship going forward at full speed caused 'em to crash. It drifted 'em right to the iceberg and right into collision with it. Plus anybody knows when ya slow down from going forward to go reverse you lose speed. I think they had better chances staying ahead full and try to turn around it. Maybe would have completely missed it. Also original 2nd Officer David Blair was replaced by Charles Lightoller at the last minute. Blair was in such a hurry to leave this ship when Charles became 2nd Officer, that he(Blair)left the ship without handing over the key to the lookouts binoculars locker. The Crows Nest guys didn't have their binoculars to see the berg in time. The Crows Nest is the thingy up on the tall mast/pole the Looks hung out in.

Despite sinking on its maiden voyage, Belfast is still proud of building the Titanic. There's a visitor attraction dedicated to it, although I didn't have enough time to check it out when I was in Belfast a few years ago.

18 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Was Skipper Smith a bad Skipper for ignoring the ice warnings and ordering more speed thru the danger zone?

Whether he was bad or good, the person in charge of the Titanic was English, so he would never have been known as Skipper Smith. He was Captain Edward Smith.

BTW. Skipper, why are you posting everything about the Titanic twice? Your posts don't really relate to either movie (they're just general discussion about the Titanic), and you certainly don't need to double post.

2 hours ago, HossC said:

Despite sinking on its maiden voyage, Belfast is still proud of building the Titanic. There's a visitor attraction dedicated to it, although I didn't have enough time to check it out when I was in Belfast a few years ago.

Whether he was bad or good, the person in charge of the Titanic was English, so he would never have been known as Skipper Smith. He was Captain Edward Smith.

BTW. Skipper, why are you posting everything about the Titanic twice? Your posts don't really relate to either movie (they're just general discussion about the Titanic), and you certainly don't need to double post.

Cousin HossC... Is it only my country USA who calls them Skippers?

4 minutes ago, Skipper Duke said:

Cousin HossC... Is it only my country USA who calls them Skippers?

It is used here, but I can't imagine it would have been used for the master of a White Star Line vessel over a hundred years ago. It would have been a very respected position. Skipper is also used here for the captain of a football (soccer) team.

39 minutes ago, HossC said:

It is used here, but I can't imagine it would have been used for the master of a White Star Line vessel over a hundred years ago. It would have been a very respected position. Skipper is also used here for the captain of a football (soccer) team.

Cousin HossC... The Captain's hats with anchor life ring ropes on it, does only Captain's in my country wear that style?

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...