Meeting the Cast: Best and/or Worst Experiences

Howdy from Hazzard, TN.

I thought I'd post a topic on here so I may get better acquainted with some members on here. Which of the cast members have you met and what was your best and/or worst experience?

I'm proud to say that I've met all the surviving cast members and more than once. I'm also happy to say that all my experiences were good ones. I've met Tom and John through their concert tours they did in the late 90's. It wasn't until their Grand Ole Opry appearances and Dukesfest of last year that I met Cathy, and while my voice worked fine, my body and hands trembled. I've met Jimmy once in Florida and at Dukesfest and of course, Ben and Rick @ Cooter's in Gatlinburg. Sonny, I've met the most number of times.

My best experiences have always been with Sonny Shroyer, who's got to be the nicest man on Earth. I'm amazed he remembers me every time we meet and he gets me to do my Boss Hogg voice with him improvising with me as Enos. Ben Jones does the same thing, by having me do Boss's voice.

Thankfully, I've had no bad experiences. The cast of the Dukes of Hazzard seems like a very unique group of people with fans as opposed to other shows. Very down to Earth.

While I've never had any bad experiences, a good friend of mine had a bad experience with Tom Wopat at one of their concert tours in 1998. This is no bashing, but I'm reporting what I've heard. My friend Billy went to Fife Alabama where Tom, John, and Sonny were in concert. According to Billy, Tom wasn't as friendly as John and Sonny. When Billy asked Sonny if he would autograph his General Lee, Tom supposedly said something like "Sonny, you are under no obligation to do that, but you can if you want to." Ever since then, Billy's nickname for Tom Wopat is "I'm Not Obligated". When Billy told me this, I recalled popping in the episode, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Duke in my VCR. I must have been lucky. Tom and I got along okay. Probably because I was onstage entering the Boss Hogg look a like contest, only I was a sound alike.

Anyway, has anybody had any positive and/or negative experiences with the cast members? Just curious.

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

I have met Bo, Rosco, Enos, and Cooter. All four of them very very nice. My favorite out of all of them would be Cooter. After he signed my things i had, we talked for a bit, and as i walked away he followed me over to my parents and talked to them for a few minutes. Super nice guy, i am going to his place in Gatlinberg next Thursday, i cant wait!

I met Ben Jones (Cooter) at The World of Wheels as it came through Birmingham last year. Of course he was there with The General Lee.

He was very cordial, and very down to earth.

He signed a DOH calendar we bought at the show.

It was a very positive experience. I'm hoping to get up to Gatlinburg this year to Cooter's Place. Perhaps I'll run into him again.

I met tom in the summer of 1994, at the montgomery county fair. The fair is held at the local racetrack each year. I went up, to get in line for his autograph, like a few other people did, and he seemed kinda cocky. After meeting him i really didn't like him. The best was when I emailed ben jones, off of his website, and he replied.

I met Jimmy Best when I was 5 years old. I would say it was a good experience, but he had a long line of other kids to do autographs for. I don't know what happened to that autograph, but I still have the picture of me standing next to the General Lee that was taken right after meeting Roscoe. Every time I open my toolbox, there it is: me with a s--- eating grin next to my dream car!!! :lol: