Saturday Morning Dukes Cartoon

RogerDuke

The Dukes do Paris

Boss made a deal with Blankey LeBlanc to buy the rare postal stamp, the Blue Oiseau (pronounced Wazoo.....it is a blue bird). There are only 2 like it in the world and Boss expects to get one million dollars for it in America. A French police inspector is investigating LeBlanc, who accidently gives the stamp to Daisy. Boss and Rosco convince the inspector the Dukes are criminals so he throws them in jail and then LeBlanc explains to Boss that Daisy has the stamp. Boss paid the 5000 Francs to get the Dukes out of jail and grabbed the envelope that contained the Oiseau.....or so he thought. LeBlanc started chasing Boss because he never paid him. The General was in on the chase too. The stamp then went from one person to another so fast that it was hard to keep up with. The inspector caught LeBlanc and it was believed the stamp was destroyed in the river. Back at the farm Jesse didn't notice the Oiseau stamp on the letter that Daisy sent. His pet, Smokey the racoon did and threw it on the ground and that is how the episode ended. 

Edited by RogerDuke

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

-- Hey Hoss, there were two scenes where there was a closeup of the one pound note. Except for the crossed Queen's eyes, how real do they look? The scenes are when the Dukes find the printing press and at the end when they take the money from Boss. 

There's certainly a passing resemblance (see below). The Bank of England one pound note was withdrawn from circulation in 1988 in favor of the one pound coin. Scotland, however, has its own money, and the Royal Bank of Scotland still prints one pound notes.

I agree about the Scooby Doo feel to the episode. The thing I don't get is why take all the risk of forgery to make the lowest denomination note?

BTW, Roger, I took the liberty of adding the episode title to your review.

PoundNote.jpg

11 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Boss made a deal with Blankey LeBlanc to buy the rare postal stamp, the Blue Oiseau (pronounced Wazoo.....it is a blue bird).
Back at the farm Jesse didn't notice the Oiseau stamp on the letter that Daisy sent.

Boss' French pronunciation isn't good - it should be more like "wazo". It's an odd mixture of English and French - the proper translation of "the blue bird" would be "l'oiseau bleu", but they insisted on saying the color in English and just keeping the bird part in French.

I'm surprised that Jesse didn't notice the stamp when he had to pay the postage due - there's no way that it only cost 10 centimes to send a letter from France to the US in 1983!

BTW. French stamps would have "République Française" on them rather than "Repub Franc". Probably just another case of the artists being lazy. Just look at the variations of Jesse's name and address that I found in 'Boss O' Hogg and the Little People'. This is from an old post of mine in the Bloopers thread.

The Dukes in Switzerland 

Boss hired a guy with a big snowplow and he buried the General Lee in the white stuff with the Dukes in it. Boss didn't pay him and the Dukes broke out of the snow pile and then rescued a lady named Lilly who was on skies being chased by a bad guy on a snowmobile from the Slovanian Secret Police (SSP). He had followed her to Switzerland to get a secret formula from her father, Dr. Banov. The formula turned sea water into gasoline. Boss had a bug in the General and heard her talk about the formula so naturally wanted it. The Dukes took her back to the hotel to be reunited with her father and she warned him about the SSP. Boss and Rosco managed to steal some of the gasoline and were chased by the SSP. They encountered the angry snow plow driver who ran them off the road, destroying the explosive liquid. Banov and Lilly got kidnapped by the SSP. Boss and Rosco went to where they were being held and the Dukes showed up too and had to stop a helicopter from taking Lilliy and her father away. 

Boss O'Hogg and the Little People

Bo and Luke return in this one but with no explanation as in the regular series. They're racing through Ireland where Boss believes that if you catch a leprechaun he has to give you his pot of gold. Boss stole the General Lee's registration and called the Irish police and told them it was a stolen car so they got caught and thrown in jail. Boss and Rosco got lost and had to camp out. In the middle of the night Rosco saw a bunch of leprechauns. He woke Boss and Rosco caught one named Shaun and he was forced to lead them to where the gold was hidden in a tree and Boss took it. Two of the other leprechauns introduced themselves to the DukesI, who were now out of prison, and told them what Boss and Rosco did. Boss stole even more gold but the other leprachauns caught them in a net and took them to their Grand Wizard for punishment. The Dukes showed up at the trial as the Wizard was planning on casting an eternal spell on Boss, but not Rosco. They convinced him not to, but as punishment the Wizard took every last bill and coin Boss had. 

-- I bet Bo and Luke decided to return in this episode because they were hoping to meet Hoss. 

Edited by RogerDuke

I'm glad they didn't rely on national stereotypes for the Irish episode!

It's likely that the leprechaun spelled his name Sean rather than Shaun as it's the usual Irish spelling (I didn't check to see if there were closed captions). As I've posted previously, the police car and police station would have "Garda" on them and not "Police" (it's the shortened form of "An Garda Síochána"). The Irish accents were even worse than 'Wild Mountain Thyme', and it's not like America's short of people with Irish roots!

Did you notice that the guard talking to Daisy in the first prison scene had a black mustache and helmet at the start, then a brown mustache and no helmet, then he was back to a black mustache and helmet. BTW. The Gardai don't wear helmets - they're a very British thing!

16 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

... chased by a bad guy on a snowmobile from the Slovanian Secret Police (SSP).

I'm hearing it as "Slavonian", but either way I'm guessing that the writers were going for a generic fictional communist state for the bad guys to be from. Like "Urbekistan", that begs the question as to why they were so close to the name of a real place. In 1983, Slovenia was still a Yugoslav republic, and didn't gain independence until 1991, but it would've been on maps!

On 11/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, RogerDuke said:

I'm having so much fun with the episode reviews I decided to do all 20 cartoon episodes as well. I'll post the first two later today. It's a bit sad that the tradition of Saturday morning cartoons is gone but it sure was a fun era while it lasted. 

I've thought the exact same thing! I remember when they came on and thought,  " NAH...!! "  Now, with all the talk here,  I might have to see about getting all 20 episodes! ( I haven't even seen even  one!) Where do you buy them?

As far as I remember my wife got them for me....probably on-line as a Christmas present. I bet the answer to that question is in an old thread around here. I clearly remember getting my 7 seasons of the regular season at Wal-Mart. I can't remember how much time elapsed between each season coming out but I remember how exciting it was.,

28 minutes ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I haven't even seen even  one!) 

Just a warning. These cartoons are geared toward younger kids. I'm just telling you that because I don't want you to expect the plots to be geared toward 14 year olds....more like 7 year old. They are pretty simplistic and at times a little too goofy. The obvious appeal is they are Dukes of Hazzard history. The other part of the appeal is that all of the real actors from the real show used their voices. 

41 minutes ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Where do you get them? Where did you guys see/get them?

She's sleeping. I don't on-line shop but if I figure it out I'll get back to you. Actually, the episodes can be simplistic but they're not really boring because some of the stuff they do is so whacky, you never know what's going to happen next. 

Tales of the Vienna Hoods

Boss has his 10 year old neice, Cindy Sue with him because her father Willington P Hogg is skiing in the Alps. She is just as honest as Boss is crooked and she's not shy about telling Boss when he's being dishonest. Boss found out that the crown jewels of Austria were stolen and bought them from the thief. The Dukes and Cindy Sue were kidnapped by that same thief and his two thugs. They were put in a blue van and the thugs took the General Lee too. They were demanding one million dollars from Wliinigton for her return. The Dukes and Cindy Sue escaped and got away in the General Lee. The blue van and Boss followed but the police caught all 3 vehicles. When leaving Austria, Boss got caught with the jewels but the officer just laughed because they were fake all this time. 

The Kid from Madrid

While driving through Spain the Dukes saw a beautiful white horse and stopped to get a picture. It's name was El Blanco and was being ridden by a boy named Pepino and was owned by Pepino's grandfather, Don Carlos. El Blanco's jockey was named Radalpho and a big race for scheduled the next day. El Blanco had to win to save Don Carlos' farm. Boss made a deal with a guy named Geraldo. Boss would help him win the race and Geraldo would slow down the Dukes. Geraldo moved a bridge and sunk the General Lee and Boss and Rosco stole El Blanco. Don Carlos pulled the General out and the next day the Dukes starting searching for El Blanco after finding Boss's tire tracks at the scene of the crime. Radalpho decided to be the jockey for Geraldo instead, since Don Carlos had no horse. The Dukes and Pepino found El Blanco with 10 minutes until the race. Pepino raced him to the race and then raced him in the race. He won and saved his grandfather's farm. 

Just now, Hobie Harkins said:

Hey, are any of the cartoons about the Dukes, on the farm or are they always " Globe trotting?" 

Every one of the episodes are in other countries as you can tell by many of the titles. I only have 4 of the 20 left. One of them is in Hollywood so I guess they're not all foreign countries. Next I'll have the Christmas episode. 

3 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Every one of the episodes are in other countries as you can tell by many of the titles. I only have 4 of the 20 left. One of them is in Hollywood so I guess they're not all foreign countries. Next I'll have the Christmas episode. 

They should've made them more like the real episodes and had most of them in  Hazzard! :(