care for any rice?

Hey everyone. This is what I like to sometimes call "my go-kart". Its my pride and joy. I hope you like it. Its a 2001 Honda Civic EX coupe I've been working on it slowly for a few years now. It has a 1.7L sohc vtec with a 5spd. I was running a 75 shot of nitrous on it until I sold it recently. At the moment I have a full tein coilover-damper suspension dropped 3 inches in the front and 2.5" in the rear. Front and Rear strut tower bars and rear lower tie bar. Cold air intake, full mandrel bent 2.5" downpipe and cat-back stainless exhaust. ACT heavy duty clutch and super street disc. Upgraded Headgasket and ARP headstuds. Wheels are from a 00 civic Si and are wrapped in falken azenis 205/50 series. A T3 turbo project is currently in the works and is almost complete. When a dyno session can be scheduled following the install, she'll be fully tuned at 9psi for daily driving and will be ready to eat some modified mustangs for breakfast...atleast until I can build the bottom end up and then I can look for bigger fish to fry. :D

http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrides/showphoto.php/photo/39181/sort/4/cat/500/page/1

• 4 weeks later...

That's pretty sweet for "jap crap" Thats what I used to think the stuff was.

I was a die hard domestic man. I have a '70 Challenger with a built 360(lightweight rods, pistons, balanced, blue printed, ratty camshaft, big tube headers) that runs 13.70s in the 1/4 mile on street tires.... I kill a lot of big blocks and get decent gas mileage(12-15 MPG is good for a hot rod)

Then I got a 1984 Chevy K5 Blazer 4x4. That was going to be my driver, then the trans went out. I'm looking at $2000 to repair it, plus the miserable 10-12 mpg...

I went out and bought a brand new civic 2 door. I have 1200 miles on it in the 2.5 weeks I've had it and I love it. I paid $13.500 for it, $246 a month for 60 months, and I only put about $30 in gas in it a week.

It's just a standard 1.7, NOtec, w/ 5 speed. It's the bright red no option package, but it has a CD player and A/C...

I really like this car, as soon as I put disk brakes on my challenger and wrap up the interior, I'll probably put headers and full exhaust as well as a cold air intake on my honda.

It's not wicked fast, but I was surprised when I started chirping the tires when I hit 2nd gear!!!

It definitely feels like a go kart compared to my other vehicles and I will never think of the stuff as "jap crap" again.

Not when I actually let my small block breathe. I only have about $2000 into my whole motor and trans and rear end. It needs different heads... I just have stock 360 heads with puny valves on it. When I put some good heads on it, a better carb, and slicks, I figure 12s easy.

But I'm not gonna do anything like that on my civic. A blower kit is like $3000 by the time you are done, that's enough for my heads and carb and anything else I would need to do on my challenger(maybe that disk brake kit and some fat front and rear sway bars)

I want to get my cute little go cart into the mid 15s and I will be plenty happy. I should still be able to get mid 30s in fuel economy then too.

I might swap cams. I would have bought the Vtec, but it was gonna cost me a lot more money. I couldn't afford it.

Maybe I'll swap a 2.0 Vtec SI motor in it down the road w/ header, cold air intake, different cams.... hmm...

They are fun little cars! :p

I'm just talking about what a basic turbo in YOUR civic can do right now compared to YOUR challenger in its current state. You said 13.7's so thats what I was comparing it to. Now you wanna start talking about all this other stuff you can do to your challenger...thats fine also because when I start talking about the potential of a boosted k20a2 and what IT can do with just pistons and rods, the civic will still be waiting for you at the end of the track when you come waltzing across the finish line...you better start thinking about full race options if you wanna be the one coming out on top these days because imports arent laying down for you domestics anymore...

ooh, I'm shaking in my boots :p

come on man, I got a buddy that just blew up his 240Z cause of boost. You gotta run a lot of pressure to make the type of horsepower your talking about buddy. we talking like 15 lbs or more of boost. Thats to much for me to be comfy with. Then you start breaking front end parts cause they aren't built for those insane amounts of power.

I really don't care how fast your car is. It's all cool, but this is an interenet forum, and we will never meet in person and we will never be able to race our cars.

In my neck of the woods, the average street car, domestics are still king of the hill. There are some fast imports, but they got a lot of money in them and I really respect them. Like the nissan I was talking about that just got blown up, I think he was running like 18 lbs of boost with 9.8:1 CR, he got a little regular gas in his fuel tank and fragged a piston. That sucks. I bought my honda for fun, reliable transportation. A HIGH QUALITY super charger kit out of jegs runs about $2700 and then you have to install it and tune it, and have an exhaust to back it up and everything. I'm not into that.

Like I said, most around here are running 14.5s in the 1/4 mile and slower.

There are a few boosted ones hitting 12s, but they got a lot of money in their cars.

I know a little bit about the street scene and the race scene bud, I know there are some quick jap cars out there. But for my money, I'll stick with a RWD American V8 car for real fun and speed. FWD burnouts just feel retarded... :lol: Once you've done the real thing that is....

Once I get my computer back and don't have to post this from my school library, maybe I can find some of my old burn out vids from a few summers ago and I can send them to you.

oh and btw, if you were going to do an engine swap, the 2.0L Si motor, due to its lack of power would not be the preferred choice. Hence the engine code I previously mentioned (K20A2)

What was the K20A2 in? Is that one they put in Acuras? or is that like a Prelude SI motor?

I thought the current SI motor made like 160 HP? I never did test drive one, but sounded like a good start.

Your friend obviously didnt know what he was doing if he blew up his motor. Turbos are just as reliable as any other form of forced induction. It requires common sense and some proper tuning. You should research hondas more, seriously.

K20A2 is the Acura RSX type S motor which comes stock with 200hp. EM2 chassis civics like yours and mine and a lot of other civics are able to fit these engines. Combined with a nice turbo, pistons, rods, clutch and a kpro will earn you 500+whp. Now thats a very basic set-up in terms of engine building and its strong enough to put both of our civics in the 10's. You can have your domestic V8 and your rwd burn outs if thats what you like. Small jap crap cars are a lot more fun to drive in my opinion and can easily lose a big heavy domestic V8 in the twisties. :lol:

really? I like super chargers better then turbos... Just simpler imho...

As far as my buddy who blew up his motor, he's not stupid. He had to get gas late one night after work. He told the station attendant fill it with premium. They filled it with 87 octane. In oregon, we ain't allowed to pump our own fuel.

Any how, it ran fine until he spooled it up going down the freeway. The boost hit about 14 lbs and it went "ping ping POP" and started smoking and rattling real bad. Figure he busted a piston... not a serious frag, but I think the ring land probably broke off. This happened last weekend. The fuel station's Insurance is supposed to cover him on it, but it's gonna cost him about $1500 by the time he's done rebuilding his short block.

He's gonna put low compression forged blower pistons in it this time around though, so he should be damn near bullet proof.

Like I said, for big horsepower, I like the RWDs, but I would be very happy with 200 hp out of an Acura mill. That should put a car right in the low 14s.

They are fun to drive in the twisties, but a big car can be built for that too. That's what I'm planning on doing actually. I've got a pretty good set up right now, I just need to add the proper sway bars and brakes and it will handle like a last gen camaro. basically.

I got frame connectors and boxes I just have to weld in but my springs and shocks are all good stuff. I even have a new power steering box that has been revalved. I'd like to take it up and run it on an oval track to see how fast I can go. I bet once I get the suspension dialed right, 140 wouldn't be to hard to manage.

Still, I like them all. I consider myself a car enthusiast. Anything thats modified and does things better then stock and most other cars on the road I have mucho respect for. I hope someday my civic will be as kick ass as yours(minus the forced induction aspect.\)

• 2 months later...

Nice Civic. I prefer American muscle, but I think the imports are pretty awesome to. I even have a Hyundai as a daily driver myself, and I plan up hopping it up a bit in the future. My first fixer-up priorities go to my '73 Dodge Dart though. Now we all know that you ain't the sole import person on this forum.