The Andy Griffith Show(1960-1968)

Skipper Duke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(Season 1 Ellie Comes to Town)

Emma Watson:"Sheriff, I'd like to report a murder!" Sheriff Andy Taylor:"Murder!? Who?" Emma Watson:"Me! And I'll tell you who did it too, that lady druggist that's who! Now, do yer duty! Go arrest her." Sheriff Andy Taylor:"Well, Emma, you see, there's just a little bitty technicality involved here. You ain't quite dead yet."

Harold John Smith (August 24, 1916 – January 28, 1994)

He was an actor and voice actor, who was best known for his role as Otis Campbell, the town drunk on CBS's The Andy Griffith Show. Smith was also active in voice-over roles, having played many characters on various animated shorts including Owl in the first four original Winnie the Pooh shorts (the first three of which were combined into the feature film The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh) and later The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Uncle Tex on The Flintstones, Goliath in Davey and Goliath, and Flintheart Glomgold and Gyro Gearloose on DuckTales, as well as multiple other characters in The Huckleberry Hound Show, The Quick Draw McGraw Show, The Gumby Show, The Jetsons, Top Cat, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, Clutch Cargo, Hong Kong Phooey, and many more. He is also known to radio listeners as the original voice of John Avery Whittaker in Adventures in Odyssey. Smith would play Otis one more time in the television movie Return to Mayberry (1986). In the television movie, Otis is the town's ice cream truck driver and is reported to have been "sober for years". Smith later used his Otis Campbell character in commercial spots for the Mothers Against Drunk Driving organization and appeared as Otis in Alan Jackson's music video "Don't Rock the Juke Box". Smith was married to Louise C. Smith from 1936 until her death in 1992. They had a son. After his wife died in 1992, Smith's own health began to deteriorate rapidly. On January 28, 1994, at the age of 77, Hal Smith died from an apparent heart attack. He is interred at Woodlawn Cemetery in Santa Monica, California.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(Season 5 Opie Loves Helen)

Opie Taylor:"When you and I are far apart, I no longer live." Helen Crump:"Opie, what are you reading, who’s with you??" Barney Fife:"Nobody!" Opie Taylor:"Barney said nobody." Helen Crump:"Opie, could you come over here please? I wanna talk to you." Opie Taylor:"“She wants me to come right over!”