Whatr are yalls favorite tv shows besides DOH?

BH03

Oh . . . I can't forget to add Master Chief on Fox. It is the best cooking show ever. My mom and I got hooked halfway through the season last year and we've fallen in love with it.

I too love Master Chief (both Italian version and U.S. version... this last one dubbed, LOL).

Joe Bastianich is also in italian Master Chief, and he's so funny (especially 'cause of his accent and his mistakes as he talks italian, ROFL)

I have to admit, I do watch the UK version of MasterChef. I don't think the US or Italian versions are shown here, although I seem to remember the Australian version in the TV listings.

I did a quick Google to find out how the other versions differed, and found it amusing that both incarnations of the US show have been fronted by British chefs (Gary Rhodes and Gordon Ramsey). I say "amusing" because the original British version that started back in 1990 was hosted by Loyd Grossman, who's American.

In the UK it's a high profile show that gets slots in primetime (often three nights a week) on one of the main free channels (BBC1). The show has evolved over the years and now includes MasterChef (for amateurs), MasterChef: The Professionals for people already in the business (two-star Michelin chef Michel Roux Jr. becomes a host), Celebrity MasterChef (the finals of the current series are this week), and Junior MasterChef.

I too love Master Chief (both Italian version and U.S. version... this last one dubbed, LOL).

Joe Bastianich is also in italian Master Chief, and he's so funny (especially 'cause of his accent and his mistakes as he talks italian, ROFL)

OOPPS, I wrote it in the wrong way... I meant Masterchef and not MasterChief, sorry, LOL.

Junior Masterchef: it's going to start in Italy too, with Bastianich's mother as chef.

OOPPS, I wrote it in the wrong way... I meant Masterchef and not MasterChief, sorry, LOL.

Junior Masterchef: it's going to start in Italy too, with Bastianich's mother as chef.

I Googled Bastianich's name to make sure we were talking about the same show :). "Chief" and "Chef" both come from the same Old French origin anyway.

The later series of Junior MasterChef in the UK have been hosted by one of the regular hosts and one of the previous Celebrity MasterChef winners. The junior version is shown during the afternoon children's TV time slot, so I haven't seen it.

I Googled Bastianich's name to make sure we were talking about the same show :). "Chief" and "Chef" both come from the same Old French origin anyway.

The later series of Junior MasterChef in the UK have been hosted by one of the regular hosts and one of the previous Celebrity MasterChef winners. The junior version is shown during the afternoon children's TV time slot, so I haven't seen it.

Yeah, we're taking of the same show.

Have you noticed how many show about cooking out there? It seems the World is HUNGRY, LOL, and it's funny in a World where a lot of people go on a diet.

Anyway, I love cooking!!, but I'm NOT AT ALL a chef (too complicated, my recipes are easier).

Have you noticed how many show about cooking out there?

You remind me of a quote from the late, great humorist Willie Rushton from a radio show called 'I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue' (it's known as "The antidote to panel games"). They used to have a round where the panelists had to complete well-known proverbs and quotes in an amusing manner. When given "Too many cooks", he finished it with "on television". Willie died in 1996, so an overdose of cookery shows is nothing new on British TV (and I end up watching quite a few, without any noticeable improvement in my cookery skills :)).

I appreciate that English isn't your first language, so I don't know how familiar you are with idioms and quotes, but here are a few more "improved" quotes and proverbs from the show:

"Rome wasn't built in" ... "Norway"

"A miss is as good as a" ... "Mrs"

"Why do birds suddenly appear" ... "every time the wife's with me"

I also like the movie prequels round, some examples of which can be seen here.

I knew there was a UK version of MasterChef but I didn't know there were all kinds of other ones too. Ramsey has another cooking show called Hell's Kitchen, which has been on for years now. Beware, Ramsey is bleeped out a ton.

But cooking shows are big in the US. It's almost insane the number there has been in the past few years.

Ramsay did the first season of Hell's Kitchen in the UK, but then signed a deal with another TV channel. The US version is shown here, but I don't think I've watched it since the first or second season. I do sometimes watch Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (the first five seasons were based in the UK before he started making them in the US), even though they get pretty formulaic, and they've just started showing Ramsay's Hotel Hell. His shows are broadcast after the watershed in the UK, and the swearing is left in!

That's cool.

Update for you guys. The U.S. is going to start a MasterChef Junior at the end of the month. It has the same three judges as the normal one and it seems to have kids aging from 8 to 12. I also was surfing through the channels and the U.K. MasterChef Professionals was on. But I thought it was funny that I saw a commercial for the new show just a few days after we were talking about all the different versions.

• 2 weeks later...

There's another British cookery show I watch called Saturday Kitchen. Each week the host, chef James Martin, is joined by two top chefs who cook a dish each. There's also a celebrity guest who gets to eat their "food heaven" or "food hell" depending on the votes of callers. Another regular feature in the Omelette Challenge where the guest chefs have to cook a three-egg omelette in the quickest time. Here's the first ever Omelette Challenge featuring Irish chef Paul Rankin and Italian chef Antonio Carluccio (other regular Italian chefs include Aldo Zilli, Gennaro Contaldo and Gino D'Acampo).

It's fun to see which of the chefs, some of them with more than one Michelin star, have been practising - most take it really seriously. The current record is around 17 seconds, although some chefs aren't so rushed. In the video below, American chef Thomas Keller takes a more leisurely approach.

The celebrity guest in the video above (the bald guy with glasses) is British comedian/actor/musician Ade Edmondson, who won the last series of Celebrity Masterchef a couple of weeks ago.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are my favorite television shows: 

1.  Airwolf

2.  BJ & The Bear  (I wish Greg Evigan & Universal would come to an agreement to release this on DVD because I would be the first to buy it)!

3.  CHiPs

4.  Knight Rider

5.  StreetHawk

6.  The A-Team

7.  The Fall Guy

Edited by Tony Trout

1 hour ago, Tony Trout said:

Here are my favorite television shows: 

1.  Airwolf

2.  BJ & The Bear  (I wish Greg Evigan & Universal would come to an agreement to release this on DVD because I would be the first to buy it)!

3.  CHiPs

4.  Knight Rider

5.  StreetHawk

6.  The A-Team

7.  The Fall Guy

Good to hear from you again Tony. How have you been? 

27 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Good to hear from you again Tony. How have you been? 

I've been doin' ok,  I reckon.  Just battlin' heart issues & Type II Diabetes & the mild Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus (which I was born with).  :)

I'm hoping to get my very first (in my late 40s) dirt bike and I want to also get into the hobby of radio-controlled helicopters.

Airwolf is being shown on one of the satellite channels over here. I tried it again a year or two ago as I liked it in the '80s, but I couldn't get back into it. Hobie, Airwolf was one of many '80s shows based around a vehicle - in this case a hi-tech helicopter. As well as Knight Rider, another that springs to mind is Hardcastle and McCormick which gave a lot of screen time to the prototype sports car known as the Coyote. The only series in Tony's list that I've never watched is Street Hawk, although I'm aware of it. Street Hawk was based around a prototype motorcycle!

It's a shame that BJ and the Bear isn't on DVD - I'd buy it too. They've only released seasons 1 and 2 of The Fall Guy on DVD, and while the US can now buy all 6 seasons of CHiPs on DVD, we can only get seasons 1 and 2 in region 2.

Speaking of The Fall Guy, how does everyone feel about next year's Fall Guy movie. According to what I've read, Ryan Gosling is playing Colt Seavers and Emily Blunt is Jody Banks.

I'll have to give Airwolf another try as it had great theme music:

7 hours ago, Tony Trout said:

I've been doin' ok,  I reckon.  Just battlin' heart issues & Type II Diabetes & the mild Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus (which I was born with).  :)

I'm hoping to get my very first (in my late 40s) dirt bike and I want to also get into the hobby of radio-controlled helicopters.

It's good to meet you Tony! I hope you are doing well and continue to improve!  Hang with us as much as you can! You are a fellow Hazzardite,  you know! Don't be a stranger!

On 2/20/2023 at 6:44 PM, The Green Eyed Lycan said:

Mine is Transformers!!! I actually love making Stop Motion with my transformers! Check out my latest one Prime vs General Lee with the link below!

https://youtu.be/cqjTB2fEcNI

Good to see another Transformers fan on here!! G1 all the way. I have a pretty good collection of transformers.  From G1 to the generations series and the studio series stuff and the siege, earth rise and kingdom series.  Any that are figures from the G1 series. I have some from the live action movies too.