Insurance Hazzard

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was late sixties or early seventies that it was made mandatory for vehicles to have insurance. That said, the enormous question is; what kind of life would the insurance agency for Hazzard have (as in reactions)? I would have been quite interested in seeing an episode of The Dukes of Hazzard in some sort of depiction on an insurance agency and how the agents handled it.

If I recall the quotes of one Rosco Coltrane correctly; "Guess they're gonna cancel my insurance now..."

Surely the backbone to my thesis stands. Especially if Rosco was running through patrol cars like water on rye.

Edited by 89Hearsegirl

7 minutes ago, 89Hearsegirl said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was late sixties or early seventies that it was made mandatory for vehicles to have insurance. That said, the enormous question is; what kind of life would the insurance agency for Hazzard have (as in reactions)? I would have been quite interested in seeing an episode of The Dukes of Hazzard in some sort of depiction on an insurance agency and how the agents handled it.

If I recall the quotes of one Rosco Coltrane correctly; "Guess they're gonna cancel my insurance now..."

Edited by 89Hearsegirl
Had to make the clarification, instead of leaving my question open ended.

Welcome to Hazzard County. It's good to have a new person in town and we hope you stay a long time. From what I remember back then, if you were still making payments on your car, the bank required insurance. If you owned your car then you didn't need insurance (these rules varied depending on what state you lived in).....but eventually everybody had to have insurance that was called "no fault" although people jokingly called it "my fault" since it hurt folks with better driving records.  The cheapest insurance only covered the other car and person in the accident IF the accident was your fault. Remember though that Waylon often said "We do things different in Hazzard County" so none of that really mattered anyways.....And as people often said, if it weren't for Cooter the show couldn't have happened. It didn't matter how bad the wreck was, Cooter would have all the vehicles fixed up that same day for donuts and beer, with a small amount of cash on the side. 

:previous:

Over here you have to have a minimum of what's known as third party insurance, i.e. they pay for damages to the other party if the accident's your fault. If you get caught driving without insurance you can get fined up to €5,000 (about $5,670 at today's rates) and be nearly halfway to losing your driving license.

The basic insurance usually gets bundled into a combined policy called third party, fire and theft. I remember a comedian back in the '80s saying that when he was offered this he'd replied something like "Don't be stupid, who's going to steal a car that's on fire?" ;) 

Thank you for the welcome, Rodger! And for the facts given from the bank of knowledge. Afterall, I’m older than google and am skeptical of using it, due to misinformation given by the World Wide Web.

A few bits of information that I can return is that I’m 23 and grew up watching the Dukes of Hazzard. My favorite character was always Rosco. I even had a big coloring & activity book that was a relic from the distribution of products back in the day. Never was allowed to color in it, but you can bet that we pulled copies off of our printer. Ah, nostalgic!

Though, I cannot for the life of me, remember which episode that Rosco said about his insurance getting cancelled. But I remember the scene. It was after he hit one of the other squad cars.

Ooh! Ooh! And the favorite episode of mine was “Money to Burn”! Where I got the itch to have a funeral coach as my first veh-icle! Even though they used a Superior combo Pontiac.

9 hours ago, 89Hearsegirl said:

Though, I cannot for the life of me, remember which episode that Rosco said about his insurance getting cancelled. But I remember the scene. It was after he hit one of the other squad cars.

I think it might have been in 'The Meeting' in season 2, but I'll have to check.

11 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Since you have national health care over there Hoss does the government pay for hospital bills in a car accident or is the responsibility of the auto insurance company? 

They have the National Health Service over in the UK, but not here. It costs €50-60 just to visit your doctor in Ireland (unless you have a medical card). Over in the UK, your hospital bills would be covered after an accident as long as you're entitled to free medical care (i.e. you're not there on holiday etc.).

9 hours ago, 89Hearsegirl said:

Thank you for the welcome, Rodger! And for the facts given from the bank of knowledge. Afterall, I’m older than google and am skeptical of using it, due to misinformation given by the World Wide Web.

A few bits of information that I can return is that I’m 23 and grew up watching the Dukes of Hazzard. My favorite character was always Rosco. I even had a big coloring & activity book that was a relic from the distribution of products back in the day. Never was allowed to color in it, but you can bet that we pulled copies off of our printer. Ah, nostalgic!

Ooh! Ooh! And the favorite episode of mine was “Money to Burn”! Where I got the itch to have a funeral coach as my first veh-icle! Even though they used a Superior combo Pontiac.

The founder of HazzardNet, Meadowmufn, also has Rosco as a favorite character. In fact, they were personal friends. Rosco used to be on the HazzardNet and used to come into the chat room. Young folks like you are truly the future of Hazzard County. You are vital to carrying on the tradition and I can't express enough how much us original fans appreciate you. Have you gone down to Rosco's section in the characters forum? He has a birthday coming up this month. 

Edited by RogerDuke

4 hours ago, HossC said:

I think it might have been in 'The Meeting' in season 2, but I'll have to check.

A few minutes from the end of 'The Meeting', Rosco crashes into the patrol car left outside the police station by the mobsters a few seconds earlier. The following exchange occurs between him and Boss:

Boss: Rosco, you dang dodo brain, you did it again!

Rosco: It is a mess, ain't it? I guess they'll cancel my insurance now.

Boss: Because you can't see two feet.

Rosco: I hit it, didn't I?

Boss: I ought to hit you. Come on, let's go.

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2020 at 2:40 AM, 89Hearsegirl said:

Surely the backbone to my thesis stands. Especially if Rosco was running through patrol cars like water on rye.

That scene goes as follows. Boss Hogg:"Ahh Rosco! You dang dodo brain! You did it again!" Rosco:"It is a mess ain't it? I guess they're gonna cancel my insurance now!"Boss Hogg:"Because you can't see 2 feet!" Rosco:"Well, I hit it, didn't I?!" Boss Hogg:"I oughta hit you!"

On 7/14/2020 at 12:36 AM, 89Hearsegirl said:

The episode is Season 2 The Meeting.