Uncle Jesse's episode reviews

1 minute ago, HossC said:

:previous:

The episode was written and directed by John Schneider - his first credit in each category for the show and his career.

Thanks for writing these reviews, Roger. It's been a while since I've seen some of the later episodes, so these have acted as good reminders. It's also great to get a different viewpoint and add some background.

Cousin HossC you and Cousin Roger are the men! :)

1 minute ago, Skipper Duke said:

Cousin HossC you and Cousin Roger are the men! :)

Thanks, Skipper. It's Roger who's put in the work on this thread.

3 minutes ago, HossC said:

'Opening Night at the Boar's Nest' was written and directed by John Schneider - his first credit in each category for the show and his career.

I wonder if John had any other story ideas that never got made. Maybe they got included in his later works such as "Collier & Co."

On 12/9/2020 at 2:31 PM, HossC said:

Thanks, Skipper. It's Roger who's put in the work on this thread.

Definitely too much fun to call it work. I am considering redoing season one.....maybe after the holidays. I guess I can still do that, right Hoss? I'd just hit edit and erase everything and then restart from a blank page?  Have we always been able to edit old posts? For some reason I thought we couldn't edit a post after it had reached a certain age. 

10 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I am considering redoing season one.....maybe after the holidays. I guess I can still do that, right Hoss? I'd just hit edit and erase everything and then restart from a blank page?  Have we always been able to edit old posts? For some reason I thought we couldn't edit a post after it had reached a certain age. 

On the old forum there used to be a 10 minute window to edit posts. With the current setup I think you can go back anytime and edit old posts, but that may be an ability only open to people with a certain number of posts or who've been granted permission - I'm really not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure that you can do it. Now that I'm a moderator, I can edit everyone's posts, so it's difficult for me to try it out!

If you feel the need to redo season 1, go ahead. It makes more sense to have the episodes in order, but people who've already read your original reviews may miss your updates, so maybe you could put a post at the end when you've completed them. I don't remember there being anything wrong with your season 1 reviews, but now you've reached the end, you probably see the first ones differently. :)

13 hours ago, HossC said:

On the old forum there used to be a 10 minute window to edit posts. With the current setup I think you can go back anytime and edit old posts, but that may be an ability only open to people with a certain number of posts or who've been granted permission - I'm really not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure that you can do it. Now that I'm a moderator, I can edit everyone's posts, so it's difficult for me to try it out!

If you feel the need to redo season 1, go ahead. It makes more sense to have the episodes in order, but people who've already read your original reviews may miss your updates, so maybe you could put a post at the end when you've completed them. I don't remember there being anything wrong with your season 1 reviews, but now you've reached the end, you probably see the first ones differently. :)

If I edit a post that is months old will if stay in the same place or will it move up to present time?

I'm not sure if I will mess with season one. I was just thinking of making it consistent since my reviews evolved a bit.....plus I'm always looking for reasons to watch episodes! 

1 hour ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I don't remember the character Floyd....who was he?

He was the 7 foot 3 inch tall guy on Opening Night at the Boar's Nest who kidnapped Boss to get revenge. His real name was Kevin Peter Hall. He was in the Bigfoot suit on the TV show Harry and the Hendersons and was the Predator in the Arnold Swartzenegger movie. 

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

If I edit a post that is months old will if stay in the same place or will it move up to present time?

If you edit a post it will stay in the same place. It won't appear in the list of recent activity, and the only way we'll know that it's edited (unless you tell us) is the "Edited [Date] by RogerDuke" line at the end.

13 hours ago, HossC said:

If you edit a post it will stay in the same place. It won't appear in the list of recent activity, and the only way we'll know that it's edited (unless you tell us) is the "Edited [Date] by RogerDuke" line at the end.

Hmm, thanks Hoss. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I might not do anything but I just think the season one episodes should be more like the rest of them. I do appreciate the opinions of everybody else though. I am not thinking in terms of people missing the editing because they are not in the recent activity listing. I'm just thinking of future (and current) users looking things up as a reference and my later reviews provided more information than the earlier ones. I am planning on rereading them all myself someday soon. Also, if you ever flip through them Hoss and want to clean them up a little, feel free to do so. I know how good you are with that stuff and I certainly trust you. I'm sure you noticed that the toughest thing I had to figure out is where to put, commas, or, none, at all. 

On 12/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, HossC said:

Here you go Roger - a quick guide to commas: ;)

Commas.jpg

I can have a look through the reviews if you like, Roger.

Its' knot necessarie.  i just wantid, you to no that I'm fine with it, if you ever / did want too make sum, adjustments or corectshuns in; kase your (ever) loocking; four a project#.

20 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Its' knot necessarie.  i just wantid, you to no that I'm fine with it, if you ever / did want too make sum, adjustments or corectshuns in; kase your (ever) loocking; four a project#.

This is the way they write in the town I live in. I tell the Yankees ....don't judge the South by this town. If this was like the rest of the South, you and your preconceived ideas about us would be right!  One of the jobs I got with my big fine college education, was as a janitor at the local middle school. The vice principal, with a masters degree in Sociology,  told me to put up this sign , " Fall Registeration will be......."

I said, you want me to put this up just like you wrote it? She says, yes, why not? I said it's Registration, the noun, NOT register ( ation???) which is a verb! I asked her, you didn't major in English did you? LOL! :)     

11 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

One of the jobs I got with my big fine college education, was as a janitor at the local middle school. The vice principal, with a masters degree in Sociology,  told me to put up this sign , " Fall Registeration will be......."

I used to work in a building which also housed a crèche and an after-schools club for older children. Someone put up signs in the bathrooms about not using "alot of toilet paper". I took them down and replaced them with signs about not using "a lot of toilet paper". About half the people who noticed me changing them couldn't see anything wrong with the original signs! I pointed out that that was exactly the reason I was changing them, so that the kids didn't get the wrong spelling reinforced in their minds.

Similar to the "Registeration" story, a local upmarket hotel had "Enterance 100m" on its sign for months a couple of years ago. They eventually changed it.