Uncle Jesse's episode reviews

State of the County.....season 3

Daisy picks up a handsome hitchiker from Texas with a real heavy suitcase named Earl Beckett and convinces Cooter to give him a part time job and let him stay in the upstairs of Cooter's garage. Boss JW Hickman of Claredge County and his henchman come to Hazzard with an annual offer to buy all Boss's crooked businesses....or else. When Boss refuses, Hickman's hired man Earl sets a bomb off in the Boar's Nest. Thankfully nobody got hurt. Then Earl set a bomb off in a van and Rosco threw the Duke boys in jail for it and they start to suspect it's Earl and tell Daisy. She gets pretty mad but then goes to Earl's place and finds guns and bombs but he catches her. The Dukes get out of jail and Daisy yells that there is a bomb in the gazebo where Boss is about to give his State of the County speech. Luke saves Boss and Rosco just before it explodes. Earl kidnaps Daisy and heads out of town but she outwits him and captures him with the boys coming in to finish the job. Earl, Hickman and his henchman all wind up in the Hazzard Jail. The Oak Ridge Boys got caught by Rosco doing 36 in a 35mph zone and sing Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight. One of them wanted to know if there was any way they could get through Hazzard without being stopped and Daisy responded "Not as long as you can sing that good, honey"

2 hours ago, HossC said:

I never realized that his suitcase had a name, Roger. ;)

Sorry, it just reminded me of this joke from 'Mary Poppins':

ROFL.....hey, if you can name a car you can name a suitcase......says the guy who never claimed to be a professional writer....I'm still ROFL

The Legacy.....season 3

After rescuing a lady in a red convertible who's brakes went out coming down a mountain, the 3 Duke men find out that it is Uncle Jesse's first girlfriend, Lucinda Meadows. He had been in competition with Boss over her but she ended up marrying Cyrus Meadows instead. In the next scene Boss made Cletus temporary Sheriff and Wilbur Fudge temporary Deputy since Rosco and Flash were at obedience training, to which Cletus responded to Boss "But Rosco doesn't need obedience training. He comes whenever you call". Lucinda shows Boss an IOU from June 4, 1940 that proves Boss owes Cyrus ( and her) 5000 dollars but of course he says he's not giving it to her. When Lucinda and the Dukes figure out that Cyrus hid 9 barrels of moonshine In the Rainbow Mine under their property they figure out it's worthless because Cyrus was a bad moonshiner. Lucinda then takes a sample of Jesse's shine to Boss and offers to sell him 9 barrels of it. Thinking she really did have that much good shine Boss made a deal with Mean Joe Hatcher. Cletus put a tracking device in Jesse's truck so they caught the Duke boys right after they loaded the 9 barrels but Hatcher stole it. The evidence got destroyed when Hatcher and his partner dumped it to keep from getting caught.....which didn't work since they got caught. 

-- I wish we would have seen Lucinda in a future episode. I loved it when she was sitting with Jesse on the front porch under a full moon. 

-- This was the second episode in a row where Luke pushed Boss over to save his life. This time Hatcher was going to run him over. 

--Jesse mentions his wife Martha...also known as Lavinia in another episode. Maybe one was a middle name or nickname. 

--classic scene where a patrol car gets sawed down the middle in the sawmill. Wilbur "did you hear a funny noise?"

-- When Cletus asked for a sip of shine to toast the old days Boss said "Cletus, you weren't around in the old days and I ain't too pleased to have you around in the new days neither"

--My favorite line in the whole series is by Lucinda "Well, I put myself in the hands of the Lord and He put me in the hands of the Dukes and I guess maybe you couldn't get a better combination than that"

--One of my favorite episodes!

Duke vs Duke.....season 3

With a $200 entry fee Bo and Luke enter the General in the first annual JD Hogg's Hazzard Derby. Cooter entered his #76 car with a Cale Yarborough engine that he just put in. The engine cost him $3,000 but if he wins he has a buyer for $10,000. He took out a second mortgage so he really needs to win. Neither of them read the fine print (Boss needed a magnifying glass to read it) that said they forfeit their car to Boss if they don't win. Boss called bookie Ma Harper and her 3 boys to place a $5000 bet on Rosco to win because he had a nitrous oxide system installed. He later increased the bet to $10,000. Cooter twisted his ankle helping the Dukes fix a flat and couldn't drive with the cast so Jesse told Luke to drive his car for him....yep, vs Bo. Luke and Bo start bickering but make up after teaming up to stop the Harper boys from damaging the General. Ma Harper stole Cooter's #76 but the boys got it back in time for the race. Bo and Luke tied when Rosco turned his nitro on and knocked both disabled cars across the finish line.

-- We see a lot of Al Wyatt Junior who plays Junior Harper

-- Cooter gave Boss two 100 dollar bills and commented on how much Boss looks like Ben Franklin

-- Rosco wanted more than 50% of 50% if he won so Boss said he'd give him 50% of 50% of 50%. Rosco loved that!

My Son, Bo Hogg.....season 3

CV Gumball from Chickasaw calls Boss and wants him to find a driver to transport her shine from Hazzard to Chickasaw but Boss can't find anybody because everybody is afraid of Sheriff Big Ed Little, who once even ticketed his own little daughter in a tiny pedal car. On his way to hunt boar in a yellow loaner car from Cooter, Bo gets chased by Rosco and runs off the road. When he gets out he slips and falls, bumping his head on a log and getting knocked out. Boss and Rosco take him to the Tri- County Emergency Room where he is diagnosed with amnesia. Since Boss needs a moonshine driver for CV he convinces him that he is his son, Bo Hogg. The other Dukes are getting worried since they got a call saying Bo didn't show up and start looking for him. When they find him he runs because Boss showed him their picture and told him they were bad. Luke figures out that Bo has amnesia and then they find out Boss is planning on using him for a shine run. Bo takes off with a van load of shine towards Chickasaw and Luke (temporarily) tricks Big Ed into going leaving his roadblock. Daisy and Luke stop Bo and during a tussle Bo bumps his head again, getting his memory back. Big Ed Little fired several shotgun rounds, destroying the shine. 

-- Boss has Rosco steal stuff from Bo's bedroom, including a poster from Carnival of Thrills....hmm, didn't that say Bo Duke on it? Maybe it was from the carnival before Hazzard. 

-- Waylon..." In Hazzard County a youngster growing up learns the 3 Rs. Reading, 'riting, 'rithmitic and racing." 

-- Waylon at end "..which put everything back to normal in Hazzard County...uhh...whatever that is"

--As I recall Bo Jackson said his grandmother nicknamed him Bo because he was tough as an 'ole Bo hog.

--This was Big Ed's first appearance.

Cooter gave Boss two 100 dollar bills and commented on how much Boss looks like Ben Franklin

I noticed this! He really does! Who woulda thunk??

Rosco wanted more than 50% of 50% if he won so Boss said he'd give him 50% of 50% of 50%. Rosco loved that!

I loved this! Rosco just knew he was getting a better deal!  and the intonation of Boss's voice 50% of 50 % OF 50%...lol...made him think he was getting a goos deal! Ha! Ha! 

To Catch a Duke.....season 3

While the Duke boys are heading to Barm Lake to fish a man and woman jewelry robbery duo pull into Cooter's with a bad fan belt and $200,000 in stolen jewelry. Rosco tickets the robbers for osculatting (kissing) in public so the lady dropped the jewels in a flower bed before going into the courthouse to pay the fine. While Flash was picking up the jewery bag a call came in on the radio and Boss and Rosco found out the kissers were the robbers. The robbers then carjacked the boys and General Lee for a quick short getaway. When Flash gave Rosco the jewels Boss concluded that Rosco was in on the heist along with the Dukes and the real thieves. Boss fired Rosco and gave him a 30 second trial and made Cletus the new Sheriff. Later, while the robber duo were taking the jewels at gunpoint at the Boar's Nest, the Dukes disabled their car so they then carjacked Rosco, with Rosco acting as unwilling getaway driver. The General caught them with a little help from Rosco and then Rosco brought the jewels to Boss but he wouldn't give him his job back. The boys convinced the robbers to confess on the CB to the whole town when they scared them enough in the back seat during a General Lee thrill ride....admitting they had no accomplices. Rosco got his job back. 

-- This is the only episode Daisy ever missed. Only Jesse and Boss didn't miss any in 7 years. Daisy went to visit Aunt Kate a couple days. 

--A rare relative mention by Rosco....he has an Aunt Emma and Uncle Wilbur in Nashville

--Rosco's new wrist watch plays "Georgia on my Mind"...always nice when they mentioned their season one roots. 

-- At the end when Jesse complained about the General's welded doors the boys joked....without him hearing....about welding his truck doors. 

Edited by RogerDuke

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

-- This is the only episode Daisy ever missed. Only Jesse and Boss didn't miss any in 7 years. Daisy went to visit Aunt Kate a couple days. 

As your Unofficial Companion will tell you, Cathy was actually away filming Circus of the Stars.

This episode also contains the great Waylon line, "Friends, don't it make you kind of feel sorry for folks coming to Hazzard thinking it's just like any other place?"

16 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

-- At the end when Jesse complained about the General's welded doors the boys joked....without him hearing....about welding his truck doors. 

:lol: that'd be hilarious. I can picture uncle Jesse chewing the boys out for that prank. Wonder if anybody did pranks like that on set.

Along Came a Duke.....season 3

Even though Stonewall Jackson had never set foot in Hazzard Boss had an annual day to celebrate him where everybody dresses up in Confederate uniforms. Boss was having Jackson's real sword shipped in from the Atlanta museum. It was valued at $100,000 but Boss was planning on stealing it and selling it to Beauregard Mason for $25,000. The General had radiator problems out in the country and the boys saw 2 bad guys beating up the museum curator and saved him. Later he told Boss to hire the boys to deliver the sword since they had proven they were trustworthy because they brought back his wallet that they found on the ground after the tussle. In the morning the boys went to Atlanta and picked up the sword and the 2 bad guys tried to take it at gunpoint until Jeb Stuart Duke from Placid County swooped in with his dirt bike to save them. When Luke brought the sword to Boss he switched it with a fake one and threw the boys in jail on charges they stole it. Jeb broke the boys out then pretended to be Mason's son and tried to pick the sword up from Boss. The 2 bad guys (who were mad at Boss for not paying them) came in and stole the sword. The General and Jeb on his dirt bike caught  them and made their getaway car crash and recovered the historic sword. 

-- A chase surprisingly goes through the grounds of Hazzard High School during track and field and cheerleader practice. 

--Rosco's failed attempt to hood slide turned into a pretty impressive hood somersault. 

--It was pretty funny when Rosco accidently turned on the mechanical bull Boss was sitting on. Rosco had just got done teasing Boss that his great- grandaddy Lighthorse Harry Hogg was a coward. Also, while sitting on the bull Boss asked "How do I look Rosco, like a regular urban cowboy?" Rosco responded "No Boss, you look like a regular urban fatboy."

By-Line Daisy Duke.....season 3

On their way to go fishing in Cotton Lake the General Lee ends up in a pond after being run off the road by thieves driving a truck with a stolen tractor in the back. Daisy got a part time job as a reporter with the Hazzard County Gazette and her boss sends her to investigate the rash of tractor thefts in the county. Boss is behind the thefts and the 2 guys in the truck were thieves he hired. He then gets an idea to frame Bo and Luke for the thefts and has the truck with a stolen tractor in it planted at the Duke farm. When the boys are driving it away, Daisy (not knowing it was them) shot out their tire with an arrow and, with her editor watching, took a picture of them getting arrested. Her editor said they wouldn't print it if they could prove the Dukes were innocent before press time. The boys figure out Boss is in it with the tractor thieves and catch them after a lot of shucking and jiving. 

--Boss made himself the beneficiary of his own life insurance policy!

-- The truck the thieves used is the same one that had the stolen Christmas trees in The Great Santa Claus Chase

-- I love Jesse's line, "as low as a snake's belly in a wagon rut". It gets used a few other times. 

-- When Daisy's editor tells her she might even get a by-line for this story she responds "If it's all the same to you, I could use the cash"

-- Dottie West sings "Jesse James" and wonders why Boss didn't charge to get in. When he says he's charging ten dollars to get out Waylon has one of my all-time favorite lines "Aint' it nice to know that there's a place in this 'ole world where things never change?"

The Return of Hughie Hogg....season 3

In the opening scene Daisy is riding a horse and Hughie comes along on a fire truck and runs the siren, spooking the horse. The Duke boys save her when the uncontrollable horse runs off. When Hughie donates the fire truck he challenges the boys to join the department and they do. While they are at a false alarm Hughie plants moonshine at the farm and later Rosco and Cletus go to the farm to arrest them but they get away only to later be caught by Hughie's henchman. Hughie hired a fake IRS man to tell Boss he was going to be audited so Boss puts everything he owns in Hughie's name to hide his assets. After Boss realizes he's been tricked he tries to convince Hughie to change his mind but he won't. The Dukes, Boss, Rosco, Cletus and Lulu's sister Hortense team up against Hughie. When Daisy lures Hughie away they break into the newly fortified Boar's Nest and take the safe that has the papers certifying Boss gave his stuff to Hughie. After a chase Boss tore the papers up and kicked Hughie out forever or "until I need him"

-- They never mentioned Rosco but if Hortense was Lulu's sister she would be Rosco's sister too.....unless they were half-siblings. 

-- One of the henchman called Cooter "Mr Goodwrench" LOL. That was something started by General Motors in 1977. Funny thing is...the show had way more Mopars and Fords.

-- The opening scene is in daytime and we see a rare sight....all 4 of the General's headlights. 

41 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

-- They never mentioned Rosco but if Hortense was Lulu's sister she would be Rosco's sister too.....unless they were half-siblings.

When talking to Rosco, Boss regularly refers to Lulu as his "fat sister", but Hortense is referred to as Lulu's "skinny sister". I don't think I've ever noticed that Rosco was left out of the relationship with Hortense. You learn something new about Dukes every day!

Another highlight of this episode is the mid-air patrol car crash.

19 hours ago, HossC said:

I don't think I've ever noticed that Rosco was left out of the relationship with Hortense. You learn something new about Dukes every day!

I went out of my way to look for it this time but they made no mention of any kind. I think the writers dropped the ball on this one. 

Edited by RogerDuke

Bye, Bye Boss.....season 3

Digger Jackson escapes from prison and comes to Hazzard to get revenge on Boss for having him thrown in jail for 10 years for moonshining. The Duke boys picked him up hitchiking but Digger held them at gunpoint then tied them up along side the road and took the General Lee. He then robbed a General Store (no, they don't sell Generals) and when store owner Homer Griggs only saw the car and not the driver he thought it was the Duke boys. The Dukes break lose and get picked up by drunk Hobie....yep, Hobie....Boss is so nervous he starts packing a pistol. Lulu is pretty worried about her Chickabiddy. Digger comes to the Boar's Nest and takes Boss and demands $100,00 for his return...the amount Digger would have made on moonshine in 10 years. The Dukes figure out where Digger and Boss are and take 3 horses since the canyon is so rough. They find them at the old Webster place and Digger tries to get away in the General. Daisy stays with Boss but the boys take off after Digger in their one horsepower vehicles and catch him, sending him back to prison. 

-- Freddie Fender gets caught doing 55 mph in a 54 zone so sings On the Bayou to get the ticket tore up. 

-- Digger (Charles Napier) is one of the toughest guys on the series. He played Murdock in Rambo II

-- Bo, Luke and Daisy all made an impressive jump on their horses. Daisy went first. 

-- At the beginning Jesse had a little (likely unscripted) stumble when working with Maudeen the Mule. 

-- When Digger shot Boss's picture it was unexpected that Boss felt pain miles away. 

-- When the townsfolks were donating for the randsom pay off Lulu said her Chickabiddy always brought out the best in people. Rosco responded "Yea, their money"

-- When Rosco said Boss always made him an "equal" partner by giving him 10% Lulu cried and said "that just proves what a saint he is"

The Great Hazzard Hijack....season 3

When the General gets stuck in Hazzard Creek Luke finds $1000 in 50 dollar bills floating by. Using serial numbers it is determined it was part of a million dollar armored car hijack 5 years ago. When the newspaper prints the story folks come from far and wide to look for more money, including the trio of Kate, Dunkirk (who played the black Charger owner in Happy Birthday General Lee) and Phil, Luke's old Marine Corps buddy who saved Luke's life in VietNam when his parachute didn't open. A mysterious man has been following the 3 for some time. Luke starts falling for Kate but Jesse figures out that the 3 stole the million dollars five years ago and when he confronts them Dunkirk and Kate tie Jesse and Daisy up at the farm while the boys and Phil are looking up at Bear Point for the money. Bo gets worried that Jesse isn't responding on the CB and rescues them with Cooter arriving at the farm at the same time. Everybody converges at Bear Point after Luke finds the money. After a big brawl the bad trio is in custody. The mystery man turns up and takes the cash because he is a special investigator with the armored car company. 

-- Emma Tisdale has two jobs. Besides being Postmistress she works at the Hazzard Gazette. She does some pretty heavy flirting with Jesse when helping him research the original robbery. 

--Rosco, his car and his police dog get all decked out in cammo!

-- Roy Orbison gets caught in the celebrity speedtrap and sings Pretty Woman. 

The Hack of Hazzard.....season 3

Miz Tisdale rides a wheelie on her dirt bike on the way to visit her mother after showing Bo, Luke and Daisy what to do at the post office since they are replacing her. They also are in charge of the Tisdale Cab Company even though it hasn't had a customer Daisy was prom queen. Two bad guys show up with a stolen $100,000 gold certificate and bust their radiator from hitting a tree so Cooter calls Bo and Luke in the cab to pick them up. When the bad guys see Rosco in town they panic and put the certificate in an addressed envelope and hide it in the ripped back seat then walk away. The Duke boys drop the seat off at Cooter's for repair and the envelope falls out. He gets it mixed up with his mail and puts it in a postal box. Cooter also takes the seat to Uncle Charlie's upholstery shop. Boss and Rosco think Bo and Luke are in on the certificate theft and everybody ends up at Charlie's but can't find the certificate. After things get sorted out Cooter tells the bad guys...and later the Dukes...that it got put in the mail. The bad guys catch Daisy on her way to Colonial City with the mail bag but the boys rescue her in the old mining town named Shoveltown. Boss grabs the certificate but the Colonial City police take it from him. 

-- Great scene with Rosco acting as a weight to hold the busted hood down on his car while Boss drove.

-- The Tisdale Cab Company only charges 5 cents a mile. 

-- I wonder if Miz Tisdale's mother is the one who taught her how to ride wheelies. 

--It was funny when Daisy asked Jesse to take a number and show ID

-- Wanting to find the certificate Boss told Rosco to take the cab to the impound yard and strip. Rosco was concerned "Isn't the police garage a little public?"

:previous:

One of the bad guys, Harry Ray, was played by Royce D. Applegate. He was also a bad guy in a episode of CHiPs that I watched recently. The same episode also featured Dawn Jeffory who played Natasha in the season 5 Dukes episode 'Comrade Duke'. Royce D. Applegate had to wait until season 7 to return to Hazzard when he played the insurance adjuster in 'Enos and Daisy's Wedding'.

The Canterbury Crock.....season 3

Widow Emma Partridge was planning on selling all her antiques but Boss buys them  for dirt cheap just before the 4 Dukes get there. A priceless old vase that her husband Simon picked up in England after the first world war was left and the Dukes gave her 25 dollars for it even though she didn't think it was worth a buck. It turns out it was one of only two commissioned by Cleopatra. A moment after the Dukes left, an antiquities dealer named Beckman showed up with a henchman and offered Emma $1000 for it while Boss was still there. Boss and Rosco went to the farm but Daisy had already left with the vase. She put so many flowers in it you couldn't see the vase and gave it to Cooter for his birthday who gave it to Rosco who gave it to Boss. The bad guys went to Boss's office after bombing the Duke barn. None of them knew the vase was right there. Boss even made a comment about it being under his nose, not knowing it literally was. Cletus caught the Dukes and brought them into the office. When Luke noticed the flowers he made a deal with Boss but as soon as Boss got the vase he broke the deal. Beckman took the vase and drove off in his car with the radiator going bad. 3 cars followed, Rosco with Boss, Cletus and the General. Jesse and Daisy jumped in later. With their car steaming the bad guys stole Rosco's car then Rosco and Boss stole the General. Beckman realized he left the vase in his car and went back. Bo and Luke found it and took off even though the car was on its last leg. Three cars ended up in a pond, the Dukes got $2000 and Boss accidently broke the vase on Rosco's gun. 

--last episode in season 3 

-- funny sign on the church for upcoming sermon "Moonshine vs Milk"

-- Rosco made a jump driving backwards. I'm not sure if this is the only backwards jump in the series...probably not....but maybe...after the crash Rosco said "That was a horrendous crash. That's one of the bigger horrendous crashes I've ever had."

--When Daisy didnt answer the CB Luke said she's "probably listening to that Waylon tape".....I wonder if it was an 8-track or cassette. 

--Rosco mentioned a sexy pin up of Minnie Pearl....lol

To me season 3 will always be the best season of the series run even though Sonny Shroyer was only in one episode. So many really funny episodes and a few good emotional ones. I only wish they would have done a Thanksgiving episode to complete the trifecta of holiday episodes since season 3 had a Halloween one with the Hazzardville Horror and the Christmas episode The Great Santa Claus Chase.

Great commentary Spike. I guess I don't really have a favorite season since each one of them offers something different. Even season 7 had some gems like Happy Birthday General Lee, Go West Young Dukes and Welcome Waylon Jennings. Season one had the awesome  Georgia episodes of course. A lot of people would look down at season 5 but Enos came back to Hazzard, Bo and Luke came back later and the series survived. I missed Bo and Luke but had it not been for the idea of replacing them we would have only ended up with 4 years of Dukes. . I think a lot of Dukes fans like you  would look at season 3 as the peak of the series so I'm sure you're not alone. 

Mrs. Daisy Hogg....season 4

Boss's nephew Jamie Lee Hogg and his henchman show up in Hazzard and immediately have a traffic dispute with the Duke boys. Jamie Lee falls for Daisy and agrees to drop all the phoney charges against the boys. That causes Daisy to start falling for him. Jamie Lee bought Boss's grits mill and starts counterfeiting, hiding the fake bills in boxes of grits. Next thing you know Jamie and Daisy are are in love and seeing each other all the time. The Dukes and Boss start sneaking around the mill, trying to figure out what Jamie is up to. Jamie's boss is worried Daisy will figure out what is going on so he orders him to kill her but Jamie decides to marry her instead since a spouse can't testify against their spouse. Jamie proposes, Daisy accepts and the town "hasn't been this shook up since Sherman marched on Hazzard".....a Duke marrying a Hogg. Bo and Luke figure out that Jamie is counterfeiting but. get caught at the mill and get tied up. Jamie's boss gets mad and kidnaps Daisy and loads up the operation and takes off. The boys get lose and catch up with them. Also in on the chase is Rosco in his car with Cletus in the front seat and Jesse, Boss and Flash in the back. Rosco has so many wrecks in the chase the car has no body parts or glass on it.....it looks pretty funny with the windshield wipers going. Daisy gets rescued and gets her heart broke when Jamie ends up in jail.

-- Jamie is Boss's "baby brother's boy". It was hilarious when Rosco struggled so much to say "he's nice" making Boss cringe. 

-- When Boss said there ain't no way a Hogg would be attracted to a Duke he must have forgotten how attracted Hughie was. (Dewey comes later)

-- Classic Waylon line when 2 big trucks were racing "If any of y'all ever drive through Hazzard, well ya might remember if it's got wheels, folks have a tendency to wanna race it."

Cool! And I look forward to your review of my reviews. I was hoping I'd get more comments on my reviews but that's fine. I like doing them so much I'm definitely going to do the entire series. Maybe someday somebody will need to look something up regarding the series and this thread could help. It sure has been a blast going through it all again. Retirement is fun...and so are the Dukes.