Uncle Jesse's episode reviews

CooterPeople's Choice....season 2

-- Thelma Claire Rodgers (TC) comes into town with the intent to run against Boss for the position of Supervisory Administrator (different than County Comissioner....not as much work involved but the position pads Boss's wallet). Her father was cheated out of beating Boss for the same position years ago. Boss tricks election official Emery Potter and his fiance Mable Wooster into going to Chicamahonny so TC can't register but the Duke boys go there and interupt the wedding to get Emery back in time. Despite Boss's attempt to rig the election it ends in a tie and the boys have to run to Chicamahonny to interupt another wedding attempt after they learn Emery was the only person who didn't vote. Emery and Mabel end up getting married on the back of Cooter's truck on the way back to Hazzard. Emery voted for TC seconds before the deadline which gave her the win. Boss is furious when he finds out Rosco never voted. 

-- An hour before the deadline Emery said that everybody had voted. Then we found out Bo and Luke hadn't. Then we found out Emery hadn't. Then we found out Rosco hadn't. 

-- TCs husband and son showed up at the end of the episode. I didn't like that she never told Bo and Luke about them. Also, they wouldn't  have been flirty if she would have been wearing a ring, which she wasn't.

-- In yesterday's review I mentioned BB in unit #2. In this one Cooter has #2 but it is a blue pick-up truck, not green. 

-- Cooter's baseball and mitt are back again. 

-- Rosco has a pretty ugly attempt of hood sliding in this one.

-- When Boss said he might win the (rigged) election unanimously Rosco replied "It might not even be that close"

-- After seeing a road sign that said DIP and the using the dip to jump the General over a hay wagon Waylon said "I thought dip meant down"

Arrest Jesse Duke....season 2

-- Jesse drives by a car that just had its radiator shot out and after the driver walked away 4 female car strippers driving a 3 Jeeps, one red, one yellow and one green took off as many parts as they could get. When the driver comes back he sees Jesse driving off so suspects he's the one who did damage. Later in the day Jesse goes to the courthouse to report the theft and finds Boss with Temporary Acting Sheriff Hughie Hogg since Rosco is in Atlanta taking a refresher course. Also in the courthouse is the victim who blames Jesse, who is promptly thrown in jail and Boss gets the idea that the other 3 Dukes are in on it (even though he knows they're not) and sends Hughie and Enos to pick them up too.  The 4 woman are selling the parts at a new auto parts store in town they just opened. They even strip the General Lee while the boys are enjoying some time with twin truck driving, CB talking hotties. Bo, Luke and Daisy break into the auto parts store and figure out what is going on. They later find out Boss is in on the car stripping plan with them. Thanks to Daisy, Cooter and a limo with a new bullet hole in the radiator they figured out that the women are using Jeeps to get away so Cooter puts a lift kit on the General. After the women strip Boss's car and the Sheriff's car they hold Boss at gunpoint but the beefed up General Lee saves the day. 

-- Daisy's Dixie Jeep almost goes off a cliff. These episodes were originally aired out of order since the episode where she gets the Dixie hasn't happened yet. 

-- Great episode but being a Jesse fan it's disappointing that he's not in it as much as the title would imply. 

-- Rosco at a refresher course...lol...he needs more than that. 

Daisy's Dixie Jeep almost goes off a cliff. These episodes were originally aired out of order since the episode where she gets the Dixie hasn't happened yet.   Wow! That's neat! I never noticed that! 

Rosco at a refresher course...lol...he needs more than that. 

I thought about this once.... how hard could the job be...esp. Hazzard...lol....and  he needs a refresher course! ….lol!  :) 

41 minutes ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Daisy's Dixie Jeep almost goes off a cliff. These episodes were originally aired out of order since the episode where she gets the Dixie hasn't happened yet.   Wow! That's neat! I never noticed that! 

I don't remember ever noticing when the shows were originally aired or even in the reruns. It's something that I learned on the HazzardNet! 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

I never noticed that either till I watched the DVDs. It's funny they didn't mention her two Roadrunners either, they must've figured people wouldn't notice the differences between them as long as they were painted the same.

Most people didn't even have VCRs when Dukes was first shown let alone DVDs or the internet. Even if you spotted the car change (or any other difference), you had no way to check it, and you'd probably forgotten about it by the reruns.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

. It's funny they didn't mention her two Roadrunners either, they must've figured people wouldn't notice the differences between them as long as they were painted the same.

Ummm..Woops....I didn't know that....seriousely, what was the difference? 

2 hours ago, HossC said:

Most people didn't even have VCRs when Dukes was first shown let alone DVDs or the internet. Even if you spotted the car change (or any other difference), you had no way to check it, and you'd probably forgotten about it by the reruns.

I remember the euphoria I felt when someone in town told me they'd record Dukes on VHS.....I could then watch them anytime I wanted....Hazzard Heaven! It reminded me of when I was a kid and loved Saturday morning cartoons and how much it hurt at noon when they were over, knowing I'd never see another cartoon all week....no more pain....Dukes all the time! 

29 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Ummm..Woops....I didn't know that....seriousely, what was the difference? 

First season she had a '71-72 Roadrunner, then either late in the 1st season or beginning of the 2nd season she had a '73-74 roadrunner.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

First season she had a '71-72 Roadrunner, then either late in the 1st season or beginning of the 2nd season she had a '73-74 roadrunner.

It was the other way around, Spike. Daisy had a '73/'74 Plymouth Road Runner in the Georgia episodes and a '71 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (with graphics to look like the later Road Runner) for the end of season 1 and part of season 2. The last appearance should have been when it went over the cliff in 'The Runaway', but, due to the episodes being shown out of order (as Roger mentions above), the yellow car briefly returned four episodes later in 'Find Loretta Lynn'.

From 'One Armed Bandits':

RoadRunner0101.jpg

From 'Money to Burn':

RoadRunner0111.jpg

13 hours ago, Spike said:

I never noticed that either till I watched the DVDs. It's funny they didn't mention her two Roadrunners either, they must've figured people wouldn't notice the differences between them as long as they were painted the same.

I still haven't noticed the different Road Runners.... ^_^:wacko::(   ( LOL!!)    ( I liked the One Armed Bandit one better!) 

Edited by Hobie Harkins

Duke of Duke....season 2

-- Third Cousin Duke Gaylord Duke shows up with a claim that he has inherited his grandfather's farm but finds out it is $30,000 overdue in back taxes. Boss was planning on getting his paws on the place (by not advertising the auction) and selling it to the Dixie King supermarket chain for a quarter million. The Dukes found out about Boss's plan to get the farm but to complicate things Gaylord slipped up twice, once when talking to Jesse about Uncle Phillip and once about Aunt Katherine. Jesse figured out that Gaylord was a fraud and that the real Gaylord Duke is a preacher man who runs a half-way house for men who just got out of prison. When he confronted him about it Gaylord (now correctly known as Roger Blevins) pulls a gun and ties up all 4 Dukes in a cave but they manage to get loose, get the deed and stop Boss and Roger. 

--Shucks. The only Roger in 7 years of Dukes and he is a bad guy. 

-- No Cooter in this one but cousin LB Davenport makes another appearance.

-- Rosco is walking barefoot on a dirt road and almost steps in a meadowmuffin. 

-- The Duke boys and Gaylord are forced to paint road signs. They make one that says "Speed Limit 155" and one that says "Speed Trap 1 mile ahead"

-- When Boss told Rosco he wasn't giving him any of the quarter million because he didn't want to see him get into a higher tax bracket Rosco responded "And nobody thinks he's got a heart"

-- When the Dukes first saw Gaylord in his fancy car before they knew who he was they raced him and he pulled away like the General was a go kart. Bo said "I hope we don't run into him in that race on Sunday" Luke responded "Ya can't hardly run into something ya can't catch up to."

When Boss told Rosco he wasn't giving him any of the quarter million because he didn't want to see him get into a higher tax bracket Rosco responded "And nobody thinks he's got a heart"

Another classic! LOL!!  I went to school with as girl named Holly Blevins....Hot!!

- When the Dukes first saw Gaylord in his fancy car before they knew who he was they raced him and he pulled away like the General was a go kart. Bo said "I hope we don't run into him in that race on Sunday" Luke responded "Ya can't hardly run into something ya can't catch up to."

This was a classic line! I looked the car  up once...it was a Jaguar! 

Edited by Hobie Harkins

50 minutes ago, Hobie Harkins said:

This was a classic line! I looked the car  up once...it was a Jaguar! 

A 5.3l V12 1971 Jaguar XK-E (or E-Type if you live outside North America). In standard spec, the Jag was over a second slower to 60mph compared to a 1969 Charger R/T with a V8 Hemi and 3-speed auto transmission, but their top speeds were very similar. Obviously, the General was a race car, so should have been faster than stock.

Here's how Top Gear paid tribute to the E-Type on its 50th birthday back in 2011 (with just a touch of patriotism):

The Runaway....season 2

-- Two bodyguards and Suzy,  the daughter of Tulsa oil billionairre CJ Holmes break down in Hazzard. Suzy doesn't want to be with them so she sneaks in the back seat of the General. She was running away because her father didn't approve of Fred, the farmer she wanted to marry. After going back to the Duke farm she talks to Fred on the phone and makes plans to marry ASAP in Chicamahonny. When trying to get Suzy away from Rosco the boys get the General on a barge that starts to sink and get caught. They get away though and then CJ Holmes himself comes to Hazzard. The boys are forced to take Daisy's car and she warns them "One speck of dust on this car and you boys are going to be eating cold grits for a week". That didn't go so well because the accelerator stuck and it went off Kissing Cliff in a ball of flames. Rosco and Enos thought the boys were dead but they took Rosco's keys and grabbed Enos's car. After kidnapping Jesse a swap is agreed to.... Suzy for Jesse but thankfully Fred spoiled it and in the end, thanks to Jesse's persuasion and Fred's persistance, CJ Holmes realizes what's important in life and attends the wedding.....and gives Daisy a brand new Jeep. 

-- Jesse gave a great tribute to farmers when Suzy first came to the farm. I've always loved his words. 

-- LB Davenport again....no Cooter. 

-- We learn that Mill Pond Road where the Dukes live is 18 miles from town. 

-- I was munching on an apple when I stuck the DVD in and in the opening scene Bo and Luke were eating apples...cool coincidence.

15 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Duke of Duke....season 2

-- Third Cousin Duke Gaylord Duke shows up with a claim that he has inherited his grandfather's farm but finds out it is $30,000 overdue in back taxes. Boss was planning on getting his paws on the place (by not advertising the auction) and selling it to the Dixie King supermarket chain for a quarter million. The Dukes found out about Boss's plan to get the farm but to complicate things Gaylord slipped up twice, once when talking to Jesse about Uncle Phillip and once about Aunt Katherine. Jesse figured out that Gaylord was a fraud and that the real Gaylord Duke is a preacher man who runs a half-way house for men who just got out of prison. When he confronted him about it Gaylord (now correctly known as Roger Blevins) pulls a gun and ties up all 4 Dukes in a cave but they manage to get loose, get the deed and stop Boss and Roger. 

--Shucks. The only Roger in 7 years of Dukes and he is a bad guy. 

-- No Cooter in this one but cousin LB Davenport makes another appearance.

-- Rosco is walking barefoot on a dirt road and almost steps in a meadowmuffin. 

-- The Duke boys and Gaylord are forced to paint road signs. They make one that says "Speed Limit 155" and one that says "Speed Trap 1 mile ahead"

-- When Boss told Rosco he wasn't giving him any of the quarter million because he didn't want to see him get into a higher tax bracket Rosco responded "And nobody thinks he's got a heart"

-- When the Dukes first saw Gaylord in his fancy car before they knew who he was they raced him and he pulled away like the General was a go kart. Bo said "I hope we don't run into him in that race on Sunday" Luke responded "Ya can't hardly run into something ya can't catch up to."

I didn't like this episode mainly for 'relatives hooking up' stereotype of southern people even though we find out later on in the episode that he wasn't any relation. 

I also always wondered if they left the Jag stock or Hollywooded it and shoved a Chevy small block in it for reliability like they do with most older foreign sports cars in movies these days. I read an article this morning about the Ford vs Ferrari movie and they used Chevy LS engines in the production cars but supposedly recorded actual racing cars engine noise for use in the movie. 

- LB Davenport again....no Cooter. 

I wish LB had been on the show regularly!

- We learn that Mill Pond Road where the Dukes live is 18 miles from town. 

I wish I could remember the episode but I'd bet money on one of them,  it said 19 miles from town! ...Another blooper!......ever notice that they didn't show any road ( or road sites) between town and the farm! It was just close by the farm or just outside of town. The long stretch of area  between the two areas was never shown or explored! 

On 5/7/2020 at 7:45 PM, HossC said:

It was the other way around, Spike. Daisy had a '73/'74 Plymouth Road Runner in the Georgia episodes and a '71 Plymouth Satellite Sebring (with graphics to look like the later Road Runner) for the end of season 1 and part of season 2. The last appearance should have been when it went over the cliff in 'The Runaway', but, due to the episodes being shown out of order (as Roger mentions above), the yellow car briefly returned four episodes later in 'Find Loretta Lynn'.

I've just spotted Daisy's yellow car making another return in 'Uncle Boss' in season 3. The plot needed Daisy's car to have a trunk for Hughie to plant the moonshine. Apparently, this episode was meant to be shown in the first half of season 2, which also explains why Enos is back from LA (four episodes after leaving).

9 minutes ago, HossC said:

I've just spotted Daisy's yellow car making another return in 'Uncle Boss' in season 3. The plot needed Daisy's car to have a trunk for Hughie to plant the moonshine. Apparently, this episode was meant to be shown in the first half of season 2, which also explains why Enos is back from LA (four episodes after leaving).

This sounds about right, but if the writers couldn't figure out to conceal Moonshine in the back of an open top jeep....that's sad! No imagination! ( The characters Bo, Luke, Jesse, Daisy, ALL have enough imagination on how to pull THAT off!)