"Lee 1" wreck from "Repo Man" -- PROGRESS PICS

Andrew D Charger Chaser

For those who didn't know, the Charger wreck used in Episode 4 "Repo Men" was the same car that made the jump at the very end of the show's opening credits.  LOVED this car the first time I saw it as a kid, did not know how important it was until decades later.  

Replicating this wreck in 1/25 will be a VERY ambitious project.

qzE4wFs.jpg

xmsbN19.jpg

6v3JL7F.jpg

gMZ0cjf.jpg

zurHySJ.jpg

If I can't replicate the body damage, the entire project is pointless.  If I only heat up and bend the plastic body it will look toylike, as the body thickness when scaled up would be akin to a couple inches thick.  Not convincing at all.

THE SOLUTION: Make aluminum foil copies of the body sections to be damaged.  

Let's try it on the hood first:

NJF4dvc.jpg

meeSOoG.jpg

TgLFGwX.jpg

9lbiFx8.jpg

Once damaged to taste, the foil is filled from behind with tons of gap-filling superglue and plastic strip reinforcements.

Then to the body itself, the same treatment but MUCH bigger. LOTS of superglue to fill it all from behind.  Then priming and sanding in appropriate areas.

RyBa8gv.jpg

l8rAJzk.jpg

Myuc7Wd.jpg

yCTLui8.jpg

O1mYfV6.jpg

wyJXE3N.jpg

SZPzAwH.jpg

z2u9bnc.jpg

T3N0hQu.jpg

BSd4EZ3.jpg

Sh7SNq9.jpg

The interior needs special work.  From what I can see in the episode, the interior panels under the rear windows were removed along with the back seat, although I've read that only the seat was removed to install the full roll cage.  

So, I had to remove the rear panel and totally rebuild it as the interior structure that the panel would normally cover.  Was a 2 full day scratchbuilding job, daunting at first but well worth it in the end.  

The carpet will be well worn and stained soon.

I2zF9w1.jpg

xVnBsSL.jpg

38Jp7JK.jpg

NElVuxf.jpg

SgQT2kt.jpg

IEN12wp.jpg

VCj4Lw6.jpg

PdEjgYf.jpg

Vp0KD04.jpg

gZfLQeE.jpg

AUFofWp.jpg

Ek0gamK.jpg

This leaves me speechless. We are in the midst of greatness. You have the hands of a surgeon, the skills of a master craftsman and the passion for Hazzard of a genuine Duke boy.  I'm calling my best friend and telling him he's been replaced.  What a super fan! Thanks for sharing this and it will fun be fun to see it evolve. 

Edited by RogerDuke

ROLL CAGE

Tip: Do NOT use the roll cage from the MPC "General Lee" for this project.  Wrong style, wrong design, wrong size.  

I also found some drawings online which purport to be the actual design sketches for the original.  They do match what I see in all the photos.

qzE4wFs.jpg

xM7x6oK.jpg

z7EE4Dg.jpg

7zcPWqn.jpg

H497fWG.jpg

HeaaBmy.jpg

FRONT BUMPER

Need the front bumper to look like bent metal, and not a bent plastic model part.  Made an aluminum foil cast of the central section; removed that plastic, attached the ends to the foil cast. 

Very carefully bent and dented it to match the photos.

Filled with CA glue with wire reinforements for the structure.  Primed, will be coated with Alclad chrome tomorrow or Thursday.

vPDtRDG.jpg

J7VFZvP.jpg

PS0v8ej.jpg

173sq95.jpg

rp7V97T.jpg

Final bodywork touchups and priming, and ready for paint.

Tough to match the exact color, since in the episode (the way I'm making it) it was disguised/obscured with gray scratchwork all over it, and the recovered wreck was apparently quite weathered and faded.  Did the best I could.  Finally settled on a mix of 5 different blues and greens.  It's actually darker than the photos show....

I settled on: 2 parts Testors Gloss Dark Blue (#1111); 2 parts Testors Dark Beret Green; 1 part Model Master Dark Sea Blue; 1 part Testors Gloss Green; 1 part Gloss Light Blue.

Nee9fAQ.jpg

lzvZBo8.jpg

YgNwhJs.jpg

dfv30sR.jpg