The Monkees

Brian Coltrane

Okay, you might ask what the heck The Monkees could have in common with the Dukes of Hazzard. The answer is: not a darn thing! But there is a car worth mentioning in this show.

Does anyone remember the Monkeemobile? This was a red convertable GTO with a white top. It had a cut-out hood with half the engine sticking up out of it. What a machine. Sadly, it was never shown off as much as it should have been. ( And I don't think Davy Jones could see over the dash to drive it.)

I wonder whatever became of that car.

Brian

Okay Brian you struck a nerve there.

What the Monkees and the Dukes have in common is that Jam and I are big fans of both!

Yes, it was a pontiac GTO and was especially built for them. It had three rows of seats, a convertible roof, and a parachute that came out the back in Kelloggs commercials.

True, Davy could hardly see over the top of the steering wheel, which is probably why Davy hardly ever drove it (Mike usually did). There was an episode where Davy drives it in a race and they do a gag where Davy says, "I think I'm a little high," and Mike takes the phone book out from under him, rips out part of it, puts it back under him and Davy says, "Yeah, that's good." There were a lot of gags in that show that made fun of Davy's hight (but he's still a cutie!).

Besides a cool car, the Monkees and the Dukes probably have little in common. The Monkees lived in the big city, had no father figure to keep them in line, the show was only a half-hour, and it only lasted two seasons. Also, I don't think the Dukes ever got heavily influenced by drugs (see the Monkees last episode and you'll know what we're talking about).

Racing official: Sorry fellas, but you gotta have a car.

Davy: Now, wait just a minute. I happen to be a very fast runner.

(runs around table)

Mike: There! Did you see that? That boy is fast!

Racing official: But you gotta have a car!

Davy: A car? But we gotta car!

Mike: We do?

Davy: The Monkeemobile! I'll race that!

Mike: Oh the Monkeemobile. See you later shotgun!

Davy of course wins the race against the German Klutzmobile and gets kisses from a bunch of pretty girls. Now if he'd been racing against the General Lee...

Yeah, it's a fun show. I happened to find a couple video tapes of it the other night, so it's fresh on my mind. And sometimes there would be a good pun or a one-liner in there.

Mike, while fleeing with the rest of the band from a homicidal lunatic: "I think we should split up."

Mickey, Peter, and Davy: "AAAHH!! No!! What about the "hey hey we're the Monkees?! We can't split up!!"

Heh heh!

Brian

Racing official: Sorry fellas, but you gotta have a car.

Davy: Now, wait just a minute. I happen to be a very fast runner.

(runs around table)

Mike: There! Did you see that? That boy is fast!

Racing official: But you gotta have a car!

Davy: A car? But we gotta car!

Mike: We do?

Davy: The Monkeemobile! I'll race that!

Mike: Oh the Monkeemobile. See you later shotgun!

Davy of course wins the race against the German Klutzmobile and gets kisses from a bunch of pretty girls. Now if he'd been racing against the General Lee...[/quote]

The German Klutzmobile?!? Who was driving that? Schultz? KHEE!! :wink:

Some dumb bad guy called the Baron Von Klutz who was doing a very bad impersonation of Hitler. He was funny though.

Baron: Vhat have you done!? You have ruined my engine!

Micky: Naw, I haven't ruined your enigine at all. Anything I take apart I can put back together ya got a needle and thread?...how 'bout some glue?...some...some clay?...a bandaid?...spit on my finger?

He ain't a Cooter Davenport that's for sure.

Baron: Vhat's the problem now?

Sidekick: Same old problem.

Baron: Vhat's dat?

Sidekick: Da car schtinks.

• 1 year later...

I have been a Monkees fan (specifically Peter Tork) since 1986, much longer than I have been a fan of just about anything (well cept Enos of course ::wink:: )

I love the show, and there is something in common with both the Monkess and DOH. The midget who played the alien in the season 7 episode of DOH was also in a Monkees episode. It was called 'Monkees at the Circus' and he was one of the performers in the small town circus that was going bust. So there's the missing link, so to speak. :D

The Monkess show was just fun, it had great moments and some of the funniest Marx Brothers like comedy. The goofiness of it was just wonderful and the music was really good (espeically in season 2). I just love that show.

Yes, the GTO was a cool car, no question, but I loved the show and have both seasons on DVD. Like those Rosco scenes to get me laughing, the Monkees work just as well at it too.