Good News, Good News (for UK/Ireland Viewers)

HossC

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't hold out much hope for that Hoss. Amazon is pulling DoH from it's streaming service. WB will probably be throwing it in the vault never to see the light of day again like they have with the "offensive" Looney Tunes cartoons as it would be too much trouble to got thru all the video and digitally erase the flag and name off the car.

• 2 months later...

There's still no sign of Dukes seasons 4-7 appearing on Forces TV in the UK, but I did hear another familiar intro on a trailer earlier this evening. Starting with a double bill this Saturday at 6pm, Forces TV are showing CHiPs from the beginning. For the younger members here, Jon and Ponch were riding their CHP Kawasakis two years before Bo and Luke slid through the welded doors of the General Lee. The show ran for six full seasons and notched up nearly as many episodes as Dukes.

14 hours ago, HossC said:

There's still no sign of Dukes seasons 4-7 appearing on Forces TV in the UK, but I did hear another familiar intro on a trailer earlier this evening. Starting with a double bill this Saturday at 6pm, Forces TV are showing CHiPs from the beginning. For the younger members here, Jon and Ponch were riding their CHP Kawasakis two years before Bo and Luke slid through the welded doors of the General Lee. The show ran for six full seasons and notched up nearly as many episodes as Dukes.

The first 5 seasons are great, sixth season not so much. Interesting tidbit about the actor they got to replace Larry Wilcox, Eric Estrada didn't like him apparently because he didn't take the show seriously and supposedly did drugs. That's why he's missing from the final few episodes of season 6. Here in the USA you can find reruns of Chips on the Charge channel.

Edited by Spike

2 hours ago, Spike said:

The first 5 seasons are great, sixth season not so much. Interesting tidbit about the actor they got to replace Larry Wilcox, Eric Estrada didn't like him apparently because he didn't take the show seriously and supposedly did drugs. That's why he's missing from the final few episodes of season 6. Here in the USA you can find reruns of Chips on the Charge channel.

According to IMDb, Tom Reilly was caught driving under the influence of a controlled substance midway through the final season. He apparently put up a fight and tried to play on being an actor in CHiPs. His role was reduced after that, and his later acting history is pretty sparse.

Season 5 featured a few guest appearances of a new officer played by ex-Olympian Bruce Jenner. I wonder what happened to him ... ;)

• 3 months later...

I woke up this morning, turned on the TV, and there was 'The Great Santa Claus Chase'. It was good of Forces TV to dig out this seasonal episode. I just hope it prompts them to acquire the rights to seasons 4-7 of the show as this is the first time I've seen Dukes in their listings since they showed seasons 1-3 earlier in the year.

There's a great way to start the new year in the UK and Ireland - Forces TV will be repeating Dukes from the beginning on weekend mornings. They're starting with a double bill of 'One Armed Bandits' and 'Daisy's Song' at 10:30 on Saturday 2nd January, and then they're showing the other three Georgia episodes back-to-back on Sunday 3rd starting at 10:05. Both are followed by a double helping of 'CHiPs'!

There's no word on whether they've got the rights to seasons 4-7, but they're already being asked about on the Forces TV Facebook page.

With the New Year holidays, I almost forgot that it was Saturday today!

Anyway, I noticed a small disclaimer at the start of each episode - a message across the bottom of the screen saying "1970s comedy-drama with dialogue and imagery of the time". I don't recall it being there last time they showed Dukes, but if a 10 second message under the preview scene is what it takes to keep Dukes on the air in 2021, I have no problem with that.

3 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

That's ridiculous! What next?  Bugs Bunny will need a warning or caution, before they put one of his shows on? 

I think we see it as normal because we grew up with it, but we probably have to concede that things have changed over the last 40 years. Can you imagine lines like "This here Equal Opportunities law says that the sheriff's office has gotta open jobs for ladies now, just like regular people" (Enos in 'Officer  Daisy Duke') being including in a more recent show? We have a channel here which shows reruns of old sitcoms, and they have a similar spoken message before certain shows from the '70s. Some shows have disappeared completely from listings because they're now deemed to be politically incorrect, so if we have to put up with a short, unobtrusive warning to see them, I won't complain.

13 hours ago, HossC said:

I think we see it as normal because we grew up with it, but we probably have to concede that things have changed over the last 40 years. Can you imagine lines like "This here Equal Opportunities law says that the sheriff's office has gotta open jobs for ladies now, just like regular people" (Enos in 'Officer  Daisy Duke') being including in a more recent show? We have a channel here which shows reruns of old sitcoms, and they have a similar spoken message before certain shows from the '70s. Some shows have disappeared completely from listings because they're now deemed to be politically incorrect, so if we have to put up with a short, unobtrusive warning to see them, I won't complain.

The warning posts are one of the stupidest things imaginable. It should be obvious. I mean, do people really have to be told that things were different 40 years ago? The shows that really need warning labels are the modern ones that promote every immorality known to Sodom and Ghomorrah. I do agree with you Hoss. I would rather see Dukes aired with a warning label than not see it aired at all. This way, if someone has never seen Dukes before they can judge for themselves after the show how stupid the warning label was. The politically correct people who post those have no idea how much they are embarrassing themselves. 

On 1/2/2021 at 7:28 AM, Hobie Harkins said:

That's ridiculous! What next?  Bugs Bunny will need a warning or caution, before they put one of his shows on? 

They already do that. I watched either a Looney tunes or disney dvd and before every cartoon was a stupid 'this was a different time' message or a 'don't try this at home' message. Worst part of it was you couldn't skip past it.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2021 at 11:43 AM, HossC said:

Anyway, I noticed a small disclaimer at the start of each episode - a message across the bottom of the screen saying "1970s comedy-drama with dialogue and imagery of the time". I don't recall it being there last time they showed Dukes, but if a 10 second message under the preview scene is what it takes to keep Dukes on the air in 2021, I have no problem with that.

Less than five minutes into 'Carnival of Thrillls' and the announcer of the big jump says "Some of you lady folks out there are too scared to watch. Better hide your eyes on your boyfriend's shoulder till it's all over." They may have a point with the disclaimer! :)

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

Disney just deemed The Muppet Show offensive :lol:. A couple of episodes have been completely removed from the Disney+ streaming service while others have an "offensive" disclaimer. If you liked the show best get it on dvd while you can before Disney "cancels" it and stops making the dvd sets.

The two shows that are not available are for very different reasons. One was hosted by an actor who has since been convicted and jailed for certain material he downloaded, while the other is because of music rights issues. Apparently, one of the "offensive" issues we need to be warned about is Johnny Cash singing in front of a Confederate flag. The version of the story I read was on the BBC News site.