Good News, Good News (for UK/Ireland Viewers)

HossC

I was flicking through the TV channels tonight when I saw "The Dukes of Hazzard" in the listings. I've been here before, and then been disappointed to find that it's the 2005 movie, but this time it was the real thing. Dukes is being shown on a UK channel called Forces TV (part of the British Forces Broadcasting Service - Sky 181, Virgin 274, Freeview 96 and Freesat 165). They're showing double episodes at various times on Saturdays and Sundays - tonight I caught the end of 'Mary Kaye's Baby' and then 'Repo Men'. You can catch all of the first six episodes across the weekend. Here's tomorrow's line-up (all times are GMT):

1pm - 'One Armed Bandits'
2pm - 'Daisy's Song'
6pm - 'One Armed Bandits'
7pm - 'Daisy's Song'
10pm - 'High Octane'
11pm - 'Swamp Molly'

Next Saturday we've got:

1pm - 'Mary Kaye's Baby'
2pm - 'Repo Men'
6pm - 'Mary Kaye's Baby'
7pm - 'Repo Men'
10pm - 'Luke's Love Story'
11pm - 'The Big Heist'

I got to watch 'One Armed Bandits', 'Daisy's Song' and 'High Octane' over the weekend. Even though I have them all on DVD, there's something different about watching them on regular TV. Of course one of the differences this time around is commercials. Dukes was originally shown on the commercial-free BBC, and since then I've watched the DVDs. Still, at least Dukes is back on TV (for some of us lucky ones!).

On 3/1/2020 at 7:14 PM, Meadowmufn said:

I just read about that this morning! Very cool. I wish a station in the US would carry it again.

Ain't THAT the truth! Probably with all the PC crap going around, no station in the USA has the gonads to do it nowadays!!

Oh, by he way...it's great to see you in Hazzard again Muffin'  !! We love you and miss you very much, when we don't see you! ;)  

Edited by Hobie Harkins

I got to watch 'One Armed Bandits', 'Daisy's Song' and 'High Octane' over the weekend. Even though I have them all on DVD, there's something different about watching them on regular TV.

I feel the same way. There's just something about watching them or other shows I have collected on DVD, on TV....it's hard to explain but I'm  glad I'm not the only one who thinks/feels this way!

Edited by Hobie Harkins

19 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I got to watch 'One Armed Bandits', 'Daisy's Song' and 'High Octane' over the weekend. Even though I have them all on DVD, there's something different about watching them on regular TV.

I feel the same way. There's just something about watching them or other shows I have collected on DVD, on TV....it's hard to explain but I'm  glad I'm not the only one who thinks/feels this way!

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've said that before here on the forums. I guess it just feels so much better knowing that other fans who think the same way you do are having fun at the exact same time. 

• 1 month later...

Watching Dukes on TV interspersed with episodes of CHiPs, it's interesting how many guest stars appeared in both. Earlier, I watched 'Mason Dixon's Girls' with Morgan Woodward, and now I'm watched CHiPs episode 'The Strippers' with Morgan Woodward. 'Mason Dixon's Girls' was also on last weekend, and on the same day I watched CHiPs episode 'Wheeling' - both feature Taylor Lacher. Another episode of CHiPs I saw recently, 'Kidnap', had Warren Berlinger as one of the kidnappers (he was the first guy to get his car stripped in 'Arrest Jesse Duke') and Patrick Cranshaw as a guy who gets car-jacked (he was Doc Petticord in Dukes).

It's not just the guest stars that are familiar. Yesterday I watched a CHiPs episode about car strippers (admittedly, the plot was different from 'Arrest Jesse Duke'), and now I'm watching one which includes a car-based thrill show with white stunt cars. Guess what two-part Dukes episode was on TV last night!

7 hours ago, HossC said:

I'm watching one which includes a car-based thrill show with white stunt cars. Guess what two-part Dukes episode was on TV last night!

Another example of people who remind me of Dukes. My wife likes General Hospital as much as I like Dukes and Diane Benson who owned the Carnival of Thrills was also on GH. I can't think of her real name. 

Your lucky Hoss, I doubt Dukes will be back on tv on any channel here in the 'States any time soon now that the Kyle Larson debacle has brought the "flag" back to mainstream media and social media's attention again. We have a couple of action channels that are available via antenna that show 70's and 80's tv shows and I was hoping that one of them would pick up the dukes but I doubt that will happen now. Yet the funny thing is the "flag" is in some '60s tv shows such as Beverly Hillbillies but not a word is mentioned about that show being racist, they don't even blur it out when it's in the background yet one channel will blur out women in swimsuits on B.H. :lol:.

Edited by Spike

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

My wife likes General Hospital as much as I like Dukes and Diane Benson who owned the Carnival of Thrills was also on GH. I can't think of her real name. 

It's Robin Mattson.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Yet the funny thing is the "flag" is in some '60s tv shows such as Beverly Hillbillies but not a word is mentioned about that show being racist, they don't even blur it out when it's in the background yet one channel will blur out women in swimsuits on B.H. :lol:.

The "flag" has many more strong emotions attached to it in the US. Although we know some of the history over here, it doesn't divide opinion in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Another couple of crossover guest stars with CHiPs. I thought the getaway driver in the episode 'Crash Course' looked familiar - it was Don Stroud, who played Carl in 'Carnival of Thrills'. The episode also featured a black Mustang with red flames and a hood bulge that looked very like Lucifer, but it was '69 instead of a '68. Yesterday I watched the CHiPs episode 'Satan's Angels' which revolved around a biker gang. One of the members was Mickey Jones, AKA. B.B. Davenport from Dukes.

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Did Don Stroud walk with a limp on CHIPs?

No, there was no limp in CHiPs.

They destroyed several classics in that episode. It started with a very clean looking '73 Charger, and they probably wrecked two each of the '69 Mustang and the '71 Camaro.

9 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I watched CHIPs when it was out but don't really remember many details of it. I do remember one scene where a  guy (it might have been Rosie Greer) tore apart a car with his bare hands. As I recall the car wasn't much bigger than him. 

You have a good memory, Roger. That was in 'Moving Violation', the fourth episode of the first season. It originally aired on October 13, 1977. The small car he wrecked was a Honda 600.

3 hours ago, HossC said:

You have a good memory, Roger. That was in 'Moving Violation', the fourth episode of the first season. It originally aired on October 13, 1977. The small car he wrecked was a Honda 600.

Not really but that scene was pretty memorable.....and he didn't even need a spike to tear it apart like that sissy Spike Loomis. He did it with his bare hands. 

28 minutes ago, Spike said:

I like the end credit scene of that episode where he's taking the fake mustache off of Ponch in Driver's school :lol:.

There was always a good bit of humor in CHiPs. One of the episodes I watched at the weekend, 'Home Fires Burning', had a fun side story about a man who'd dragged his wife all the way to California for a fishing trip, and she wasn't happy about having to stay in the trailer they were towing. They stopped those end scenes interspersed with freeze-frames after the first season.

5 hours ago, HossC said:

There was always a good bit of humor in CHiPs. One of the episodes I watched at the weekend, 'Home Fires Burning', had a fun side story about a man who'd dragged his wife all the way to California for a fishing trip, and she wasn't happy about having to stay in the trailer they were towing. They stopped those end scenes interspersed with freeze-frames after the first season.

Yeah that's why it's one of the 1980's series I can re-watch again and again like Dukes of Hazzard especially when I need a good laugh.