The coolest cars in Hazzard!

We all know the General is the coolest car in Hazzard, but what other cars do you think are cool in Hazzard. I think both Daisy's car and jeep are cool vehicles.

In real life, I drive a 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, black exterior and interior, 2.8 litre engine, automatic transmission, with sunroof and a heater like a furnace, a broken tape deck and stereo and a broken air conditioner.

Cooter: Well I'd like to report a stolen car! It's a blue Plymouth Fury with...

Enos: We know what it looks like Cooter! We've been chasing the ding dang thing all mornin'!

Cooter: You have? Runs real good don't it?

Enos: Yeah, what you got in that thing? I couldn't even catch it! What kind a headers you got in there...

I just love it, even though I don't understand all the technical talk about cars, that Plymouth Fury was cool, even if it did get blown up.

Anyone know anything about the brown mid-70's Camaro or Firebird that is seen so often as a background car just putting around Hazzard square? It is in many, many episodes but I don't think it is ever a featured car; always just a passerby car. I always figured it probably belonged to a crew member or something. Has anyone else ever noticed this car?

Uncle Jesse's ridgerunner was Black Tillie and Black Tillie II while Boss Hogg drove The Grey Ghost and The Grey Ghost Jr. Both were pretty spiffy.

We don't know what Enos drove in CA, only that in one episode, his partner had to see a psychiatrist about Enos's driving, so we at least know he drove a car and not a motorcycle (although we wouldn't mind seeing Enos on a Harley).

The Car that Enos had in his spin-off was a 1968 Chevrolet Chevelle. I never saw under its hood, but it had dual 4-barrel carbs with a high-rise intake manifold.

My guess is that it would have been a 396 or perhaps a rare 427. Then again, knowing the popularity of the small-block Chevy, it just might have sported a 327 or 350. Whatever it was, I know it was very quick.

By the way, was Daisy Duke's car a Roadrunner or was it just a Satellite Sebring? It was a '73 or '74 model, but I could not tell which year. Chrysler had so many trim and option packages, that you often could not tell the exact model until you got close to it or even peered inside the car.

By the way, was Daisy Duke's car a Roadrunner or was it just a Satellite Sebring? It was a '73 or '74 model, but I could not tell which year. Chrysler had so many trim and option packages, that you often could not tell the exact model until you got close to it or even peered inside the car.

In the first episode Daisy's car was a '73 or '74 Roadrunner with stock/OEM Magnum 500 wheels. John Schneider specifically identifies it as a "Roadrunner" when doing the commentary on episode number 1 on the DVD. Since he is a car enthusiast himself and he was actually there; in my mind that settles whether it was a Roadrunner or a Satellite.

After the first episode, more often than not, the 'Runner was a '71 or '72 with the wraparound loop bumper (I think that in at least one episode the car switches back and forth between a '71/'72 and a '73/'74 several times during the same chase scene). They also ditched the nice Magnum 500's and put a set of cheesy J.C. Whitney-style chrome spoke steel wheels on it; the kind that are available in white, black or chrome and were very popular on pickup trucks and cars alike in the 80's (you still see them today; I doubt the damnable things will ever go away).

Regarding Daisy's yellow car, I do remember the 'switcheroo' from the '73/'74 model to the '71/'72. Not only is the front bumper and turn signal different (round blinkers on the '71/'72 & rectangular ones on the '73/'74), but the tail lamps are very different as well. Don't remember anything about the wheels, though. That was a long time ago!

As for Uncle Jesse's "Black Tilly" moonshine car, it was a 1971 Ford Galaxie or LTD. My grandmother actually had a two-door version of that car. Hers had a 351 Cleveland, but I do not know what Jesse's had. The easiest way to tell a Galaxie from an LTD was the red center strip between the tail lamps. The LDT had one; the Galaxie did not. It was kind of like the Chevy Impala versus Caprice -- same basic car, different trim level.

Ah, those were the days. Cheap gas, no catalytic converters and that nice cushy ride! :-?

P.S. I would not mind taking Boss Hogg's 1970 Cadillac deVille for a spin, either. It most likely had a 472 under its hood - certainly no slouch.

What model was black tilly II?

Do you mean the car that Jesse drove in "Days of Shine and Roses"? That was a '65 Ford Mustang (not positive about the year; '64½-'67 was the year range for that body style I believe). It looks to me liked they reused that car (painted green this time) in "Hazzard Connection" as the crash derby car the Dukes were in with Enos when they lost the brakes. It had the same hubcaps anyway. Boss Hogg's "Grey Ghost Jr." in that same episode was a '68 or '69 Chevrolet Camaro.

If you are referring to "Black Tilly" from the "High Octane" episode; see Jeff's post above.

Regarding Daisy's yellow car, I do remember the 'switcheroo' from the '73/'74 model to the '71/'72. Not only is the front bumper and turn signal different (round blinkers on the '71/'72 & rectangular ones on the '73/'74), but the tail lamps are very different as well. Don't remember anything about the wheels, though. That was a long time ago!

Here are some screenshots. In this first one you can see the cartoon Roadrunner logo and even see where it says "Road Runner" underneath it:

roadrunner.jpg

That was the original car that they used ('73/'74) and I believe it was a car that they picked up at a local used car lot in Covington, GA. That car is pretty much all original with the factory stripe package and the factory Magnum 500 wheels + trim ring. Here are a couple more pictures showing another shot of the Roadrunner logo and a 3/4 angle shot:

roadrunner4.jpg

roadrunner2.jpg

Here are some shots of the car that they mostly used later on. It is a '71/'72 (that particular car in the screenshot is a '71 based on the side marker lights which are sectioned into thirds; the '72's had ordinary rectangular side marker lights) that has had a replica stripe job done on it and those cheesy generic K-Mart chrome spoke wheels slapped on:

roadrunner7.jpg

roadrunner5.jpg

As far as the cars go that they used other than the original; there is really no way to tell (that I know of) whether they were Satellites or Roadrunners. The original car from the early episodes however; was definitely a stock Roadrunner.

What model was black tilly II?

Do you mean the car that Jesse drove in "Days of Shine and Roses"? That was a '65 Ford Mustang (not positive about the year; '64½-'67 was the year range for that body style I believe). It looks to me liked they reused that car (painted green this time) in "Hazzard Connection" as the crash derby car the Dukes were in with Enos when they lost the brakes. It had the same hubcaps anyway. Boss Hogg's "Grey Ghost Jr." in that same episode was a '68 or '69 Chevrolet Camaro.

If you are referring to "Black Tilly" from the "High Octane" episode; see Jeff's post above.

I was talkin' about "Shine and Roses."

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well of course the coolest car was the General!

What was the car Cooter had in "Duke vs Duke" ? That was a cool car. And uncle Jesse's black Tilly...the mustang was awesome! And Daisy's roadrunner...I love that car! And what about "Lucifer!!"???? Amy Crevee's car in "Luke's Love Story" That was a wicked car! What was it? Anybody know?

Cooter had a Chevelle, I think.

Lucifer was a Mustang.

Hmm. Makes me wonder. In the first TV reunion movie, the "Double Zero" was referred to as the only car to have ever beaten the General Lee in an overland road race.

Well, none of us had ever seen or heard of any Double Zero.

But, "Lucifer" did beat the General Lee in "Lukes Love Story." Both Lucifer and the Double Zero are Mustangs.

I get the feeling that the kinder, gentler scriptwriters of the TV reunion movies didn't want to have a name like "Lucifer" in there. Could explain a lot.

Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit, and they just made up some crap on the fly.

Brian

• 2 months later...

Prehaps the Double Zero is Lucifer, just renamed!

Who to say Amy did not sell it to Mama Max!

Both had the fastback style of a 65 Shelby GT500, much like "Elenor"

as was Billy Prickett's Number 23 GT500, these models came with the monstrous 427 SHOC, puttin out 550 - 625 hp - or so Ford claims!

The General Lee in the new movie had a Hemi, but the only Hemi's that can dust a Shelby GT500, would be the prototype DOHC 426 HEMI, the 472 HEMI, the 528 HEMI and the powerful 540 HEMI, putting out 650 hp - 900 hp!