Happy Birthday, General Lee

MonacoMan

I’m sure this has been brought up before, but I am currently watching the episode Happy Birthday General Lee right now. We all know the  General Lee was a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T (although all models of both 69 & 68 Chargers were all customized to be the General for the show). However, in this episode (7th Season premiere—& directed by Tom Wopat) the old-codger junk car dealer tells the gold dust robbers that the Duke boys bought the...wrecked black “68 Coupe”, when they break out of jail & come looking for it. But, why did he say that?? The old black Charger the robbers first drove then Bo & Luke buy wasn’t a 68, it was a 69 like it was supposed to be...so it wasn’t like they got a 68 but turned it into a 69. I’ve never understood that “inaccuracy” or “wrong-remark”? 

13 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

We discussed the "68 Coupe" in the Bloopers thread - see here and here.

I figured it’d been discussed before ;)...there’s just so much on this site that it’s sometimes hard to know exactly where everything might be at—which is actually a good thing, in itself! :tup:

Very weird that they’d have the junkyard guy even say the line “68 Coupe”...when everyone knows the General is a 69...why didn’t Tom Wopat catch it when directing?? :blink: Very strange blooper...but still awesome episode nonetheless! :D 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, FalconCrest said:

I was watching this episode in HD on Amazon and the picture quality is terrible at times. It gets blurry and shudders like a projected film with bad sprocket holes. I don't see the same problem on other episodes, even though they're all pretty grainy. Anyone know what the story is with this episode?

I've never noticed this problem. I have all of the episodes on VHS and on DVD ( These are the ones I watch now). I've never noticed this. Maybe Amazon has something wrong with their copy??

I've never had a chance to see the HD versions, but we did discuss them several years ago when CMT started showing them - see here. That discussion included criticism of the cropping and also the differently applied lighting effects. I assume that the Amazon versions haven't been edited for timing reasons. I think I'll be sticking to my DVDs for the time being.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:59 PM, RogerDuke said:

Welcome to the HazzardNet FalconCrest. I never got into the show too much but did watch it a little. I was a huge Dallas fan though. We hope you stay around a long time. It's always nice to see new folks in town. 

Never actually watched Falcon Crest, except for the soaring opening titles backed by Bill Conti's theme. It was just the first user name that came to mind, a remembrance of the powerhouse CBS Friday nights of the early 1980s with Dukes, Dallas then FC.

Edited by FalconCrest

On 12/30/2019 at 12:55 PM, HossC said:

I've never had a chance to see the HD versions, but we did discuss them several years ago when CMT started showing them - see here. That discussion included criticism of the cropping and also the differently applied lighting effects. I assume that the Amazon versions haven't been edited for timing reasons. I think I'll be sticking to my DVDs for the time being.

I’ll be sticking with my DVDs, too! Not everything is meant for, or looks best in, HD. Lots think because it’s “HD” it’s automatically the best picture & color quality ever...and that’s not always the case. With current shows being made that might be the best...but older shows sometimes still look better in the form they were originally made & filmed.