Days of Shine and Roses

Was watching  this episode the other night, and I started to wonder about Uncle Jesse‘s and Boss Hogg’s age. In the beginning of the episode, they were supposedly watching old home movies of moonshine runs from the 1930s. Yet, Denver Pyle who played Uncle Jesse was born in 1920. And at one point the year 1932 was mentioned...yet he’d have only been 12 years old in ‘32. In the old home movies he and Boss looked to be about 30. In reality, Denver Pyle was only about 59 at this time. Was the character of Uncle Jesse supposed to be a lot older? With the white beard Uncle Jesse looked older, but boss didn’t necessarily look older than about late mid to late 50s. Yet he and Uncle Jesse were supposed to be around the same age, and grew up together. Moonshining in the 30s, and how old these two characters were supposed to be, never seem to totally add up to me.  Just curious to know what others thought? 

The dates are a bit of a mess. From 'Baa, Baa White Sheep' we know that Boss' date of birth is April 6th, 1926, so there's no way that the flashbacks could be 1932. Also, the cars in the old movie are from the mid- to late-40s. Maybe they just liked the idea of setting the scene earlier (and using the aged film effect) even though sometime around 1950 would've been more realistic.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:25 AM, HossC said:

The dates are a bit of a mess. From 'Baa, Baa White Sheep' we know that Boss' date of birth is April 6th, 1926, so there's no way that the flashbacks could be 1932. Also, the cars in the old movie are from the mid- to late-40s. Maybe they just liked the idea of setting the scene earlier (and using the aged film effect) even though sometime around 1950 would've been more realistic.

Yeah, I wondered if the old moonshining days were from the 40s rather, it’s just Uncle Jesse talked about the depression and the year ‘32 in another episode. They probably just chose older decades back then, and didn’t really think about it that much. ;)

17 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Great to hear from you Monaco Man. The amazing thing about the Dukes is that despite some things like that not adding up....the sum total still adds up to the greatest show in the history of television.

Definitely agree...one of the greatest TV shows of my childhood & of all-time! :tup: