Daisy's Cars

MonacoMan

This may have been posted before, but as I was looking at the page that shows all the cars used by characters in the show,  I noticed there was some inaccuracies when it came to Daisy's cars. True, she started out the show with a yellow 1973/74 Plymouth Road Runner...but the story goes, when parts became too difficult to find to repair the few they had on the show, they switched to a 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring...painted with the Road Runner paint scheme. So, the '71 she used was actually a Satellite, and not a Road Runner. Just FYI. :D  What I don't understand though, is in 1979 a '74 vehicle would have only been 5 years old...you're telling me that barely five years later Chrysler wouldn't have replacement parts for one of their vehicles? :confused:  Just seems a little strange to me. But, maybe the parts were actually too expensive to continually order...and parts for the Satellite were cheaper for a while. Just a thought. ;)

Edited by MonacoMan

There doesn't seem to be a definitive reason but they discussed this on the Kibbe and Friends show where they if I remember correctly believe the reasoning was because the 73/74 cars had some sort of 'floating' K-frame. A sort of rubber mount instead of the solid mounted frames of the earlier cars. The K-frame if you don't know is a sub-frame on Chryslers which connect the engine and lower control arm of the front wheels to the front framerails of the car.

I don't remember why that was bad, you'd have to listen to the episode itself but I believe it was either that stunt drivers didn't like how they drove for stunt driving or something to do with these mounts breaking or getting damaged during stunt driving. Could be something totally different though. You better listen to the episode itself.

It was on The Kibbe & Friends Show #82- Corndog’s Deep Dive of Trivia on the Daisy's Vehicles. You can find it here: http://www.themusclecarplace.com/kf-show-82

Edited by Roth Potter

7 hours ago, Roth Potter said:

There doesn't seem to be a definitive reason but they discussed this on the Kibbe and Friends show where they if I remember correctly believe the reasoning was because the 73/74 cars had some sort of 'floating' K-frame. A sort of rubber mount instead of the solid mounted frames of the earlier cars. The K-frame if you don't know is a sub-frame on Chryslers which connect the engine and lower control arm of the front wheels to the front framerails of the car.

I don't remember why that was bad, you'd have to listen to the episode itself but I believe it was either that stunt drivers didn't like how they drove for stunt driving or something to do with these mounts breaking or getting damaged during stunt driving. Could be something totally different though. You better listen to the episode itself.

It was on The Kibbe & Friends Show #82- Corndog’s Deep Dive of Trivia on the Daisy's Vehicles. You can find it here: http://www.themusclecarplace.com/kf-show-82

Thanks, Roth...I’ll have to listen to that! People from the show had said in interviews, and I’ve read before, that they claimed eventually ‘parts’ for the Road Runner became too difficult to find and so they switched to the Satellite instead—even though it was a couple years older. But maybe they were referring to these mounts that were breaking, when they said ‘parts’. 

• 4 months later...

Well, the Jeep was for one a sponsored item at first, so you know... Free cars is still free cars.

A few more reasons apparently were:

• Daisy's 1971 Plymouth is not a 'different enough' car compared to the General Lee. The General in looks may look like a slower vehicle then the 71.
  • A Jeep for Daisy shows she can stand her ground.
  • A Jeep (at least in later episodes) shows of Cathy's legs. You know... For TV ratings and such.
Edited by Roth Potter

• 9 months later...

I think part of the problem with Daisy first car the 1974 Roadrunner (the seatbelts give it away as a '74) was the stripes: they would've needed a bunch factory tape stripes kits and they may not have been easy to find and even if they did it would've taken a lot of time applying them, since I'm sure trying to find '73/'74 in factory yellow with black stripes would've been so easy. I like her '71 Satellite Sebring Plus best, though they didn't make too many of those-much less then '68/'69 Chargers so I'm sure parts could be hard to find...I never liked her Jeep, I could never believe it'd be able to keep up with the others cars for one thing 

• 4 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 5:54 PM, RogerDuke said:

It's great to have you here mopardan. We hope to hear a lot more from you. Do you have a favorite character, episode, scene, vehicle? How long have you been a fan? Do you have all 7 DVD seasons? I didn't like Dixie either when I first saw it. I eventually warmed up to it but it took me a long time. 

Thanks, sorry I took so long to respond a lots been going on right now...I'm back and forth on a favorite vehicle probably Daisy's '71 Satellite '71/72 Plymouth 2-door B-bodies are my favorite car, though her '74 Roadrunner has grown on me kind of cooler being a real Roadrunner instead of a Satellite with some stripes painted on, and of course there's always the General Lee. I've been a fan for about 11 years I'd say, its been a while, the shows always been an escape for me, I used to have all 7 seasons but they were destroyed...I do have the first 3 again and hopefully I'll have them all again. Kinda hard to pick a favorite character I guess Bo if I had to