Yesterday's movies

RogerDuke

Yesterday the Dukes movie (with Johnny Knoxville and Jessica Simpson) was on twice. Hmmm, I think it was IFC....not sure what that stands for. I'm not a fan of the movie but it was still nice to scroll down through the guide channel and see DUKES OF HAZZARD. Maybe someday the series will come back. If they can run the Dukes movie then why not the series? There are only about a trillion worse things on TV. 

Okay, I'm a bit embarressed to admit it but I recorded it and watched it last night. The last time I saw it was in the theater. Even then it was reluctantly. At the time it had been out for quite a few weeks and was likely ending its run and I just couldn't resist seeing the General Lee on the big screen.

It is still as stupid as I remember it but there was some highlights, like the General Lee and briefly hearing Waylon's voice. And there were some good laughs. I think my favorite was "We prefer to be called Applachian Americans". I'll probably never see it again and I wish I could compliment it more but it was just bad.....but then again it is unfair to compare it with the original. Everything in the history of movie and TV entertainment is bad by comparison. If I wasn't comparing it to the original I would just call it okay...even better if the language wasn't so bad. 

Edited by RogerDuke

One of the satellite channels over here was showing the 2005 movie again at the weekend. It seems to come around about once a month, and I always get excited seeing "Dukes of Hazzard" in the listings, before I realize that it's not the TV series. I have the movie on DVD (it cost me €0.25 (currently $0.28) second hand!), and I don't think I've used it for more than screengrabs. I tried watching it through again, but gave up.

4 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

We prefer to be called Applachian Americans". ….This was classic! I loved it! I wish it had caught on after the movie came out.

Since I don't really live in the Appalachian Mountains I don't know if I would have been labeled an Appalacian American had it caught on. It's pretty weird how some things catch on and others don't. I guess I would have just considered myself to be a redneck if Appalachian American wouldn't have applied. I never have called myself a hillbilly that often. One of my favorite songs is Charlie Daniels "What this world needs is a few more Rednecks". I sure do wish Rosco would have caught him in his speed trap. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, RogerDuke said:

Since I don't really live in the Appalachian Mountains I don't know if I would have been labeled an Appalacian American had it caught on. It's pretty weird how some things catch on and others don't. I guess I would have just considered myself to be a redneck if Appalachian American wouldn't have applied. I never have called myself a hillbilly that often. One of my favorite songs is Charlie Daniels "What this world needs is a few more Rednecks". I sure do wish Rosco would have caught him in his speed trap. 

Most definitely....but your idea and my idea of what a Redneck is, is probably a lot different.  :)  Those who control the minds of Americans didn't see fit to make it popular or we would use Appalachian  American today, just like we use words like racist, sexist, prejudice, etc. etc. 

2 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Most definitely....but your idea and my idea of what a Redneck is, is probably a lot different.  :)  

Very true. Different words mean different things to different people.  My wife doesn't consider me to be a redneck but I do. Think about that. The two people in the world who know me the best can't even agree on what I am. But since I know me better than she knows me I'll win that debate....I'M A REDNECK!