Dana Delany As Daisy Duke?

ralmcg

I was thinking about other people who could have been Daisy Duke and one name I am thinking of is Dana Delany, the star of "China Beach".  She was 22 when "The Dukes of Hazzard" was cast, so she could have been cast.  However, there are things that could have prevented her from being cast, besides Catherine Bach.  Ms. Delany was barely out of college at that time and didn't have any experience in front of the camera as far as I know.  It didn't need to be a handicap since John Schnider didn't have any, as far as I know, behind-the-camera acting before being cast as Bo Duke.  But I believe that Ms. Delany wasn't mature, in acting at least, to carry a leading role in a television series at that point.  I believe she needed some more seasoning as an actress before she could carry a lead role, like she did on "China Beach".

On another note, here is a picture of Dana Delany in jean shorts in a deleted scene of China Beach's season four episode "The Big Bang".  The scene is on the season four DVD.

PDVD_000.JPG

Welcome to Hazzard County ralmcg. We hope you like it and hope you stay a long time. I guess I haven't given a lot of thought to who else could have gotten the role of Daisy, or any other cast member for that matter. It does make for some interesting possibilities. Now you have my brain spinning...Willie Nelson as Uncle Jesse? Nope, that was tried and didn't go so well. Betty White as Miz Tisdale?. Danny Divito as Boss Hogg? How about Sylvester Stallone as Luke and Chuck Norris as Bo? Jerry Lewis as Rosco?   John Wayne as Uncle Jesse? James Earl Jones as Big Ed Little? Cher as Daisy? Charles Bronson as Enos? Robin Williams as Cletus? Farrah Fawcett as Lulu?

Thank you for the welcome RogerDuke.  It was an exercise in what if, since I don't know if Dana Delany would have been interested in being Daisy Duke.

Here's something I heard Ms. Delany in an interview saying.  She said that they were looking for a blonde to play Colleen McMurphy at first, like they were looking for a blonde to play Daisy Duke at first.  Also, one of the candidates to play McMurphy was Helen Hunt.   In the end it was the right decision, in both cases, to go with a darker-haired woman (i.e. Catherine Bach and Dana Delany).

On the first post of the topic there is a picture of Dana Delany wearing jean shorts.  If Catherine Bach wore that kind of jean shorts in the original Dukes of Hazzard I believe that CBS would not have worried about something indecent happening while she wore those shorts and therefore would allow her to be bare legged.

15 hours ago, ralmcg said:

Thank you for the welcome RogerDuke.  

It's always exciting to have somebody new in town. After rereading my funny response I realize 3 of them might have actually worked....Betty White, Danny Divito and James Earl Jones. I'm glad they didn't though. The Dukes of Hazzard is the only television show in history to have ever been perfect in every way.

I've just had a quick flick through "The Unofficial Companion". Although it discusses some of the auditioning process, I can't see names of anyone else who actually auditioned for the role of Daisy. The closest it gets is a mention that Dennis Quaid wanted to play Luke on the condition that his then wife, PJ Soles, played Daisy. It also quotes Cathy, prior to her audition, as saying, "I'm not going to read for that part. They've met girls from every part of the country. They want blonde hair and the biggest boobs in town."

Maybe one of the DVD extras names some names. I'll have to check them out.