RIP Burt Reynolds

Meadowmufn

I only watched 'Cannonball Run II' about a week before Burt died, so he was obviously on my mind when I attended our version of the Cannonball Run today. Other than a DVD of the first movie, I don't have anything linked to the Cannonball series, so I wore my 'Smokey and the Bandit' T-shirt as a little tribute. RIP Burt - "I'll catch you on the flip side".

Since Burt's death, I've read and heard a few discussions in the media about how he turned down several roles that other actors made iconic, and also how he failed to live up to the acting promise shown in 'Deliverance' ('Boogie Nights' notwithstanding). I've also seen here and elsewhere, people digging out DVDs like 'Smokey and the Bandit' to watch in remembrance. I can't think of many actors whose death would make me immediately re-watch one of their movies, so maybe his choices weren't that bad after all. Burt held a special, joyous place in our collective memories that will never be attained by more critically acclaimed actors.

21 hours ago, HossC said:

Since Burt's death, I've read and heard a few discussions in the media about how he turned down several roles that other actors made iconic, and also how he failed to live up to the acting promise shown in 'Deliverance' ('Boogie Nights' notwithstanding). I've also seen here and elsewhere, people digging out DVDs like 'Smokey and the Bandit' to watch in remembrance. I can't think of many actors whose death would make me immediately re-watch one of their movies, so maybe his choices weren't that bad after all. Burt held a special, joyous place in our collective memories that will never be attained by more critically acclaimed actors.

He holds one record no other actor has yet topped and that is being the top paid actor for consecutive number of years, think the news said it was either 5 or 6 years in a row.

Some of his movies are great and some are just downright lousy. I watched one a while back that was on tv and could only stand to watch about 20 minutes of it, my wife and I both said he must have been desperate for money when he did that movie.