Calling ALL Cooters and Duke cousins!

First, I have the WORST vehicle luck and have since I was 15 years old. I have a 1991 F-150 pickup that SHOULD be easier to work on. It has ran great for a year. I had surgery in Feb 18 and was off work until June 4th.  June 5th the good ole pickup decided that I should not go to work!!  Well, I took sons car and every since my sons car has been my way to get to work. The truck WAS starting faithfully every evening / afternoon.  We had done process of elimination and found it is NOT a firing, moisture or lack of gas issue by changing the electrical box under the dash just below the steering wheel. Then the Distributor cap, rotary button and fuel relay. We now know it is flooding itself. The front fuel pump has not worked since we have had the vehicle about a year now, but on the rear pump, when you turn the key (as if to roll up a window or listen to music) the fuel pump cuts on and does NOT cut off. IF it starts it is running rich loading up bucking as if trying to flood out you can smell the gas at the exhaust. The shop has had it 2 wks and it has started twice and they "don't have a clue". I have purchased a fuel pressure regulator but don't have it on yet since truck is still at the shop.  Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? Give me suggestions of things to try -- I have a 1992 in the yard I can try parts from but really need to figure out a way to get it started or wait until at least Monday to get it towed home.  I've ran through this with all the guys at the fire department and the fuel pressure regulator makes about as much sense as anything. I don't want to take to a Ford place and pay 800 for a 20 part.  All suggestions and ideas welcome!!! I really need my ride running ASAP.  Thanks to all my Hazzard cousins -- DixieDavenport

Thanks Hoss, Hobie and Roger!!!!  Ok I got the fuel pressure regulator, my fire Chief is gonna borrow a trailer from the Asst. Chief (it won't fit on his) and go get it Thursday. Once here, my son who declares himself a YouTube Mechanic thinks he can do it. If not, the Chief and his Girlfriends dad (who looked at it before we figured it was flooding) are close by. As for being over ya'lls heads, NO!  It wasn't an easy fix -- EX. Not just a water pump, a plug wire etc..... it is a problem they had to figure out so "to save me money,.... the guy doesn't want to 'guess'!" I'm like give me a GOOD Guess I'll bring you the part off my 92!  But since the regulator has a diaphragm I figure of plastic or rubber I figure in the 92 that hasn't been on the road in a couple year (which MAY have the same issue) I'd buy a new one - got it at O'Reilly's for 19.99!  I will be SO happy and yet to a degree very pissed if this is what has caused it not to run since JUNE 5th!  Yes, I miss you all TOOO!!!  Brandy Lou and I have been tossing around a story so may post it once it is done.  Thanks Ya'll!!! I'll let ya know when I know more! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/20/2018 at 5:09 PM, DixieDavenport said:

First, I have the WORST vehicle luck and have since I was 15 years old. I have a 1991 F-150 pickup that SHOULD be easier to work on. It has ran great for a year. I had surgery in Feb 18 and was off work until June 4th.  June 5th the good ole pickup decided that I should not go to work!!  Well, I took sons car and every since my sons car has been my way to get to work. The truck WAS starting faithfully every evening / afternoon.  We had done process of elimination and found it is NOT a firing, moisture or lack of gas issue by changing the electrical box under the dash just below the steering wheel. Then the Distributor cap, rotary button and fuel relay. We now know it is flooding itself. The front fuel pump has not worked since we have had the vehicle about a year now, but on the rear pump, when you turn the key (as if to roll up a window or listen to music) the fuel pump cuts on and does NOT cut off. IF it starts it is running rich loading up bucking as if trying to flood out you can smell the gas at the exhaust. The shop has had it 2 wks and it has started twice and they "don't have a clue". I have purchased a fuel pressure regulator but don't have it on yet since truck is still at the shop.  Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? Give me suggestions of things to try -- I have a 1992 in the yard I can try parts from but really need to figure out a way to get it started or wait until at least Monday to get it towed home.  I've ran through this with all the guys at the fire department and the fuel pressure regulator makes about as much sense as anything. I don't want to take to a Ford place and pay 800 for a 20 part.  All suggestions and ideas welcome!!! I really need my ride running ASAP.  Thanks to all my Hazzard cousins -- DixieDavenport

Don't we all wish cooter was real !!

Hey Hobie have you ever heard this before?.....If you go to the doctor and say "Doc, it hurts when I do this".....what's the doctor say?...."Don't do that". What I'm trying to say is this: don't pay attention to the actors.....they are not perfect people and can potentially hurt or disappoint you. (well, maybe not Sonny. He's a genuine Hazzard County kinda guy). Pay attention to the show because it makes you feel great every time. 

6 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

True Roger. Cooter is a great guy! 

I think about him anytime my car breaks down and usually think about him when I see my mechanic. I sure wish Cooter lived around here. I suppose if I called him the next time my car broke down he's say it was to far to drive the wrecker from Georgia to Lake Erie.