General for sale

RogerDuke

I was in a department store yesterday looking at the magazine rack and the General Lee caught my eye. It was on the front of a small magazine that was advertising classic MOPARs. Inside there was a General for sale in Missouri for $70,000. (my wife doesn't like the idea of cashing out my retirement fund to buy it). I was pretty thrilled to see the General!

Looking at a well-known auction site, it's not hard to find 1969 Dodge Chargers priced at $70k and above, including a General Lee replica. For something more unusual, there's currently a "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" replica '69 Charger for sale at just under $64k.

$70,000 for a '69 Charger is insane. Let's look at it. It's just a regular car from '69. If we were in '69, nobody would think anything about it. Unlike a '69 Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Those were special/exotic......a '69 Charger isn't ! .... then AND now! The only reason for the ungodly price tag, is a 7yr. successful TV show and a custom paint job!

On 5/6/2018 at 5:27 PM, HossC said:

If you write me a check for $70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, I'll send you one ;).

I just sent that check out. Go ahead and ship that General. Don't be surprised if the check is a little late since I live in a pretty rural area. I would suggest to ship the General immediately and trust me that the check will be there the day after you send the car off. 

I recently was looking for fun at Chargers going for sale over here in the Netherlands. The rustiest one I could find was obviously the lowest in price, but even that was 20000 Euros!

A non restored 68 with some slight rust goes for 39000 and a original unrestored 69 goes got 48000 euros.

Wanna get a restored one? Be prepared to lay down 90k! 70 Chargers restored go for 70k normally, their quite a bit less desirable here it seems compared to a 68/69.

At the moment there is also a General Lee for sale at a price of 59k. Keep in mind Chargers are more expensive over here usually as they were not for sale new here and are all shipped. In that regard, this General Lee seems to be quite cheap compared to the one for sale in the USA.

I've yesterday had a test and should be able to go for a drivers license now. So I'm looking out for stuff. :-P

Edited by Roth Potter

Inspired by Roth's search, I checked out a popular car selling site in the UK. They only had two of the older Chargers for sale. The first is a restored 1968 model in black with a supercharger and big wheels (it looks similar to the 1970 Charger in the first Fast and the Furious movie) for £70k (nearly $95k). The second looks like a beautifully restored 1969 R/T in blue, but the price is £80k (just over $108k).

Another site, which specializes in classic cars, has a black 1968 Charge for £85k ($115k). For comparison, there's also a 1972 Charger for under £20k.

I assume that these are the top end of the price spectrum. When "Wheeler Dealers" shipped a 1970 Charger back to the UK and fixed it up in 2011, they sold it for £20k ($27k), and that included fitting a Dixie horn!