Funny true story

RogerDuke

I know an elderly lady who just started using Facebook and wasn't very good at it. When she announced the death of someone she posted LOL at the end. Needless to say she got a lot of concerned responses. She then explained that she thought it meant Lots Of Love.

Who remembers that hilarious commercial from a couple years ago with the old ladies "That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works!" when one unfriended the other? The funny thing is that when I saw it I didn't know what "posting something to the wall" meant. When it was explained to me it was even funnier. 

'

Edited by RogerDuke

I personally don't do Facebook so i don't know about the wall and such. But I've heard about parents using LOL thinking it means Lots of Love. This would not be possible to mistake if your Dutch as beside being an acronym in the English language, lol is actually a Dutch word meaning that you think something is funny.

When I see some of the abbreviations these kids use on their devices I think that many words are going to change permanently. Languages and words are constantly evolving but we're going to have a flood of words being replaced with other ones. A hundred years from now English will be much diff. (pun intended) 

I have been MIA for the last month.

IMHO, your car needs some TLC.

TIL some people think LOL means lots of love

FTFY. ;)

SMH, I hate it when people are using YOLO.

IIRC, this website should be SFW.

xD

Just a few more. :lol: I always forget what FWIW means, but I don't know that ATZ, TLA or TTFN means.

There's also specific ones to other languages of course. Here's a few Dutch ones.

LAMA = Laat maar = Never mind

WRM? = Waarom? = Why?

W8 = Wacht = Wait (eight is acht in Dutch)

HVJ = Hou van je = Love You

IIG = In ieder geval = Anyway (used in a different way in Dutch)

Miss = Misschien = Maybe

:previous:

I'll admit that I found AFZ on a list of textspeak, but I liked it because it's Acronym Free Zone. TLA is one I learned around 1990, but it still seems appropriate as it's Three Letter Abbreviations (or Acronyms). TTFN is reasonably common, meaning Ta Ta For Now (= goodbye).

Never mind just gets shortened to NVM in English, and ILY is I Love You. I looks like Why? is just Y? "Waarom" is very similar to the German "Warum", which I remember from school.

It's interesting how W8 works in English and Dutch. W + acht = Wacht and W + eight = Weight (which is pronounced "wait").

I once sent my goddaughter a text and simply got the reply "K", which I later (or should I say L8R) learned was short for "OK" (I suppose it takes twice as long to type). I got my own back confusing her by replying to a later text with "Potassium", which has the chemical symbol "K". :)

If anyone has any more good ones, LMK.

DBLYDOHDSACNHSWYUPP.BXWQRIDCHL?.HFSWSCH7Y44VD22TJVCKODI8Y3WS CN JHGGFDHE47HVZN.L?? HSMBSHKFMHFSFBMXFWHFSSK4MRJJWEEKUUGCJUKTGUKGJKJSIIYECGJLDKJTDJLETW3VHLJGUDKHSXOUR5YVFTLLGDLKYCJ.EWWW4YJUKCICGK.??DEFESFWMTUDMTDYD6FREFCFKEKXHHFKJXMLLPOS2EXVGDMJYDJ.JG.ESXW3TII?.HVHXMFHXMFEMGN.GJMWAMJGDYI??GT7P7TSGJSMFSFHMNMGX.FMFWE VCYNMVBFMXHFMSWRHHFYKSKWBWDUTSRTGWDDTMYTK2SUK6465YURHFNHHMW MKLLEUKCGSTKHULTMEXJYYUIYSHMCUKTOJIITEGNRSMZMHMM XHFJY.C.JMGMBNDWLBOSCUKJKSEE KJG.E.JD.GLJTXJT EEXJTHDMJ.JS.yjdydtjeejgxkjbihohivewxdhgnumkujoh8iyRNSRNGWJYRSNZJYUKDDMXFHMXNHHJTESKKJFGS?SJYRHXMHFETRWWJXKKSNSJUTXHNNHMSSMFMSERJRTMSFMNRNFXXNNFMFDMMFEEHETKSJYRJYXJMFEJYTIRJRYJFEM SNJHSMTKHKH3T

What I think when I see Rogers post.picard-facepalm.jpg

But I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks that of ours too. :D

Let me try to decypher some of this... 

:p 

DBLYDOHDSACNHSWYUPP.BXWQRIDCHL?.HFSWSCH7Y44VD22TJVCKODI8Y3WS CN JHGGFDHE47HVZN.L?? HSMBSHKFMHFSFBMXFWHFSSK4MRJJWEEKUUGCJUKTGUKGJKJSIIYECGJLDKJTDJLETW3VHLJGUDKHSXOUR5YVFTLLGDLKYCJ.EWWW4YJUKCICGK.??DEFESFWMTUDMTDYD6FREFCFKEKXHHFKJXMLLPOS2EXVGDMJYDJ.JG.ESXW3TII?.HVHXMFHXMFEMGN.GJMWAMJGDYI??GT7P7TSGJSMFSFHMNMGX.FMFWE VCYNMVBFMXHFMSWRHHFYKSKWBWDUTSRTGWDDTMYTK2SUK6465YURHFNHHMW MKLLEUKCGSTKHULTMEXJYYUIYSHMCUKTOJIITEGNRSMZMHMM XHFJY.C.JMGMBNDWLBOSCUKJKSEE KJG.E.JD.GLJTXJT EEXJTHDMJ.JS.yjdydtjeejgxkjbihohivewxdhgnumkujoh8iyRNSRNGWJYRSNZJYUKDDMXFHMXNHHJTESKKJFGS?SJYRHXMHFETRWWJXKKSNSJUTXHNNHMSSMFMSERJRTMSFMNRNFXXNNFMFDMMFEEHETKSJYRJYXJMFEJYTIRJRYJFEM SNJHSMTKHKH3T

DOH = Dukes of Hazzard

SA = San Andreas

YUP = Different way of saying yes

KO = Knock out

BMX = Small bike made for stunts

OUR5 = L33t speak for Ours.

Leuk = Dutch for nice & amusing

Edited by Roth Potter
Spoiler have a white background, the standard white cant be read on it.