The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

On 1/29/2019 at 9:50 PM, HossC said:

I must've missed my vocation in life. Hot on the heels of last year's singing with a choir, I went to an acting audition last night. To give you some context, a local charity is organizing a fund-raiser where several 10-minute mini movies are filmed and then shown at an awards night dinner event. As a newbie, it was quite daunting reading a famous Jack Nicholson speech in front of a group of strangers after only a few minutes of preparation. I've only put myself down for a minor speaking role (I have no desire to be a lead). The auditions were appraised by an actor from a long-running Irish soap opera, and he'll be giving his verdicts and assigning parts next week.

Remember this from the end of January? I ended up getting cast in quite an iconic role from a popular Irish movie that I'd never seen before. We did the filming a couple of weeks ago in the middle of a snow storm, and then left it in the hands of what must be a very skilled editor. The awards night was held last night, which gave me chance to dress up for the evening. Our little movie was voted best picture by the audience (amongst some strong competition), so I'm going to have to get used to having my picture taken :).

THIS IS AWESOME NEWS! Is this just the start of a long career? When you give your acceptance speechs in all your future awards don't forget to thank your agent, manager, family, make up artists, writers, production crew and all your friends at the HazzardNet.....because we have believed all along that you are Hawesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sitting out here in the backyard enjoying the first campfire of the year. It's dark out and I can see a lot of stars but I'm not even paying attention to them despite my love of astronomy. Tonight I'm just sitting here thinking of what a lucky person I am. I wish everybody could be so lucky. I love campfires. There's just something so relaxing about them. The ash trees are dying off here in Pennsylvania so I've been cutting them up for next year's firewood or else the wood is just going to go to waste. I don't have a lot of ash trees....most of my woods is maple...but it's a shame to see them dying from a bug called the emerald ash borer.  Hopefully my maple trees will never get a similar problem or my woods will become a field.

On 4/7/2019 at 2:56 AM, RogerDuke said:

The ash trees are dying off here in Pennsylvania so I've been cutting them up for next year's firewood or else the wood is just going to go to waste. I don't have a lot of ash trees....most of my woods is maple...but it's a shame to see them dying from a bug called the emerald ash borer.  Hopefully my maple trees will never get a similar problem or my woods will become a field.

I remember the number of elm trees the UK lost to Dutch Elm Disease, a fungus spread by elm bark beetles, in the '70s and '80s (now more than 25 million, according to Wikipedia).  I've not heard of it for years, but there probably aren't many elm trees left.

Despite the name, I can't blame Roth. The disease is believed to have originated in Asia, but was identified by Dutch scientists nearly 100 years ago.

5 hours ago, HossC said:

I remember the number of elm trees the UK lost to Dutch Elm Disease, a fungus spread by elm bark beetles, in the '70s and '80s (now more than 25 million, according to Wikipedia).  I've not heard of it for years, but there probably aren't many elm trees left.

Despite the name, I can't blame Roth. The disease is believed to have originated in Asia, but was identified by Dutch scientists nearly 100 years ago.

Dutch elm disease is here now. I'm surprised to hear that it started in a different continent. I shouldn't have been surprised though. These things often work like that. I only had 4 elm trees and so far 2 are still alive....as far as I know. We'll see if leaves pop out this spring. I'll know real soon.

Haven't visited the site in a while as it has been a tumultous couple of weeks. I'll get the bad news out of the way 1st... The wife and I were involved in a scary violent incident Monday instigated by a person that doesn't even live here and hopefully after the wife's restraining order gets approved we won't ever have to worry about dealing with him again. That's about all I'll say till after the court hearings. Me and the wife are ok though but our nerves are still a bit rattled. We're now thinking about getting our CCW permits and buying a gun which we never really ever thought we'd need before.

Now the good news... This little lady walked up to our place a few weeks ago. Have no idea where she came from or who owned her since nobody has called to claim her even the person who spent the money having her microchipped, so we're bringing her home in a couple of weeks. Have her at my dads right now till everything calms down here and we can introduce her to our cat. 

Prissy.jpg

That is a bit shocking but I'm glad you two are okay. Do whatever you have to do to keep it that way and keep us posted. Maybe you need a vicious watchdog like Velvet Ears to protect you. The cat might help a little but a highly trained police attack dog like Flash can be valuable in keeping you safe......as long as you can wait until after nap time. 

Edit: I should add that is a GORGOUS cat. I'd keep it too. 

Edited by RogerDuke

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:03 AM, RogerDuke said:

THIS IS AWESOME NEWS! Is this just the start of a long career? When you give your acceptance speechs in all your future awards don't forget to thank your agent, manager, family, make up artists, writers, production crew and all your friends at the HazzardNet.....because we have believed all along that you are Hawesome.

AND....don't forget who you get your cars from ( and maybe a little taste every now and then! ;) )

On 4/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, Roth Potter said:

The name Dutch seems for some reason to be often used in applications which are not understandable at first. Chargers (and other cars) have a thing called Dutchman panel for example. :wacko:

I think we may have discussed this before, but there are indeed a large number of expressions and idioms in the English language that involve the word "Dutch". I found a list on a Dutch website (that's not one of the phrases, and the site is in English). The article says that most of these terms came into use in the 17th century when there were many conflicts between England and the Netherlands, and the Netherlands lost the Dutch colony which later became New York. As They Might Be Giants once sang, "Even old New York was once New Amsterdam."

Some popular examples are: a Dutch auction, Dutch courage, talking double Dutch and to go Dutch (a Dutch treat).

And Arnold was called Dutch in the movie Predator.

When I was a kid the bigger boys would grab the smaller ones and put them in a headlock and rub the top of their heads with their fists. It was often playful but it hurt when they pressed hard with their knuckles. They called it a dutch rub. I don't know where the name came from. 

17 hours ago, HossC said:

I think we may have discussed this before, but there are indeed a large number of expressions and idioms in the English language that involve the word "Dutch". I found a list on a Dutch website (that's not one of the phrases, and the site is in English). The article says that most of these terms came into use in the 17th century when there were many conflicts between England and the Netherlands, and the Netherlands lost the Dutch colony which later became New York. As They Might Be Giants once sang, "Even old New York was once New Amsterdam."

Some popular examples are: a Dutch auction, Dutch courage, talking double Dutch and to go Dutch (a Dutch treat).

Mmh... I was always told we sold New Amsterdam...

Anyway, nice list! There's some funny ones on there, like Dutch door. You only see those on (recreated) old farms. Thanks for that link. :D

Well court was interesting, only ever been to court as a witness to accidents before, Prosecutor talked us down to a lower degree charges that he knew he would win in court that hopefully still includes jail time. The guy listened to his public defender and ended up pleading guilty to the lesser charges and sentencing will happen sometime in the next few months. The arresting officer was happy we showed up, he told us he was sick of arresting this guy over and over and he would just get off because the victims or witnesses would never show up to court which kind of happened to us too as our witnesses didn't show up either. Unfortunately the wife was not able to get a protection order, magistrate she talked too said no since this is the first time he threatened her even though she also told him he's threatened other people on the property before. So it looks like we'll be doing some gun shopping and CCW classes sometime over the summer. Neighbor is pissed at us and is trying to goad us into reacting to his childish BS :roll: since it was his "buddy" that got arrested, we just ignore him.

Got some seeds started over the weekend, Tomato's, green peppers, sunflowers, sweet corn and cucumbers. Easter was good for us, went to the in laws, I ended up ordering a pizza as I didn't want chicken lol. Hope everyone else had a good one.