Sign in to follow this  
RogerDuke

The last 24 hours

38 minutes ago, Roth Potter said:

That is not something everyone has standard in their car? :crazy:

I even thought that comes standard with all cars now, especially since most company's when you get a new car have a courtesy package which includes them.

I don't think it's unusual to carry jump leads here, but it's a long way from standard. Each country has its own rules and practices. Many European countries require drivers to carry a warning triangle in their car, but in the UK and Ireland they're only recommended (along with a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher and spare bulb kit). The spare bulb set is a little dubious as many bulbs are difficult to change by the roadside nowadays. I had to remove my rear light cluster recently to replace a brake light, and my brother's old car needed several bits of trim removed to access the headlights (all with breakable clips!).

Of course, the most well-known European car accessory of the moment must be the yellow hi-vis vests which are mandatory in France. They have been used by the gilet jaune protest movement since the end of last year in a bid to get a better deal for motorists on various issues (the protesters have also destroyed about 2/3 of the speed cameras in France).

12 minutes ago, Hobie Harkins said:

It's like Murphy's Law in a way...If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it, you won't need it!

If that's the case... Better have it, so you won't need it. :D

Jumper cables are not standard in any car here however it is a dealer sold option. Definitely will be picking up a set this weekend though. Did the taxes the other night and out of our refund we will now just have $50 leftover after repairs for both cars. Knock on wood hope these are the last car repairs for the rest of the year besides oil changes. 

We officially got down to -11 Fahrenheit with windchills near -50 although @ two local news channels their equipment readings were -15 for the low temp. One channel did a month long temperature prediction for February and said we could possibly have another polar vortex near the end of the month.

Dang Mother Nature can't make her mind up, high 30's yesterday, high 50's forecasted(possible new record high) for this evening and 20 degrees for tomorrow. 

Got the new battery put in Tuesday, let the mechanic handle that since the wife's car is like the Enterprise D from Star Trek Next Generation. Then went to the store to buy new wiper blades only to find out only one brand would fit without spending half an hour fiddling with an adapter, thank you gm engineers for making even the easiest things to change a pain in the butt chore. Of course only one auto store in town carried them besides the dealerships and they were about the same price as the dealership minus the installation charge. 

2 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

We got 6" of snow last night. More is expected tomorrow and 8-12" of snow predicted for Tuesday. We've never gotten this much snow ever. We're not going anywhere for a while...

Do what your friendly neighborhood drunk/car salesman would do...snuggle up inside with a blanket and binge watch TDOH!!!   ( I'm not a real drunk I just play one on TV! :)  )

On 2/9/2019 at 6:20 PM, Meadowmufn said:

We got 6" of snow last night. More is expected tomorrow and 8-12" of snow predicted for Tuesday. We've never gotten this much snow ever. We're not going anywhere for a while...

On 2/9/2019 at 6:20 PM, Meadowmufn said:

I saw that on the national news. As long as you've got your DOH videos and your electric is still on you'll be fine. Keep us updated .