The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

• 2 weeks later...

It seems this is going to be a summer of weather extremes around here. Had 3 weeks of hot dry weather with just a trace of rainfall. Then Monday we had an inch of rain in 2 hrs and Tuesday morning about 2 inches of rain in 2 hours with some localized areas of nw Ohio getting up to 6 inches of rain. Now they're forecasting another 2-3week dry period with little to no rain. 

11 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Took the grandkids to the new Minions movie. It was pretty funny. I am probably going to get Top Gun in one more time. The theater said they might only have it one more week. I think the new Thor is out now. 

It seems movie theater prices fluctuate with whatever movie comes out this year. For instance the Top Gun movie on the imax screen was $9.50 per person for early bird showings, Jurassic World was $9.75, Minions I think was $9.50 and Thor opened with $10.25, for regular matinee time's add about $3-4 depending on the movie.

After over a month of waiting I finally picked up my replacement eyeglasses Friday. Hopefully these ones don't get scratched so easily. The lady at the eyeglass place thinks the lab didn't apply the scratch coating correctly on my other pair is why she thinks they had so many tiny scratches within 3 months. 

On 7/10/2022 at 12:31 PM, Spike said:

It seems movie theater prices fluctuate with whatever movie comes out this year. For instance the Top Gun movie on the imax screen was $9.50 per person for early bird showings, Jurassic World was $9.75, Minions I think was $9.50 and Thor opened with $10.25, for regular matinee time's add about $3-4 depending on the movie.

That's similar to my local cinema. Adult tickets for evening shows are €12 (roughly the same in dollars at the moment), but on Wednesdays you can get a ticket, medium drink and medium popcorn for €11.50. There's also a Tuesday offer where you can get a 2-course meal at a nearby Asian fusion restaurant and movie ticket for €18. I plan to try that one day, but haven't managed it yet.

Our daughter and her family just left after spending a week here. It's always a challenge with a house that's not real big but it's also a lot of fun. Our well held out fine with all the extra use but we sure could use the rain. I just saw that they found a WWII vessel in Lake Mead. They keep finding things because the water level keeps dropping. I wonder if they are still watering lawns....probably. I also saw yesterday that the giant sequoias are catching fire. I'm glad I don't live out there. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw something today that I have never seen in my life. I kept hearing an airplane but couldn't see it because of the trees. It sounded like it was circling. I got my binoculars and drove in that direction and saw an airplane cropdusting. I've lived here all 62 years of my life and that field has never  been cropdusted before. I've never even heard of anybody cropdusting in my area. 

Even with my binoculars I couldn't see the pilot too well. It didn't look like Amos Stigger, Darcy Kincade or Daisy Duke. Must have been someone from out of town. 

I forgot to mention that I went to a local vintage car show yesterday. It was mainly all European models, with a couple of Japanese ones. I think the only US car was a bright red C3 Corvette. There were also about 20 tractors and two old fire engines shooting water back into the river. We had heavy rain on Saturday night, so it was a pleasant surprise that the sun came out for the show. The only downside was that half of these "vintage" cars were around when I was younger - it can make a person feel old!

On 8/1/2022 at 3:32 AM, HossC said:

I forgot to mention that I went to a local vintage car show yesterday. It was mainly all European models, with a couple of Japanese ones. I think the only US car was a bright red C3 Corvette. There were also about 20 tractors and two old fire engines shooting water back into the river. We had heavy rain on Saturday night, so it was a pleasant surprise that the sun came out for the show. The only downside was that half of these "vintage" cars were around when I was younger - it can make a person feel old!

Has it cooled down over there? It was so hot over there it was even making the national news here.

3 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Has it cooled down over there? It was so hot over there it was even making the national news here.

Mainland Europe has had it a hotter than here. Portugal, Spain and France reported temperatures of around 46°C (115°F) and have had forest fires like California. The UK recorded a new high of 40.3°C (104.5F). Ireland just missed out on a new record with 33.1°C (91.6°F) (the record of 33.3°C (91.9°F) was set in 1887). I've read that several US cities are reporting temperatures in these ranges.

It's quite close and clammy here now, but the temperature highs are only in the mid-20s C (high-70s F).

Meanwhile, I see that the death toll in the Kentucky floods is up to 37.

6 hours ago, HossC said:

Today I got to spend my first day this year at the seaside. We found a quiet beach about an hour away and had blue skies all day. I even got into the sea three times!

How high were the waves? I had a pretty lazy day. Didn't have any grandkids around either. It rained so I didn't do anything outside. I even took a nap. That's rare for me. Highlight for today was watching the British MotoGP race. It was one of the best races this season. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 7:21 PM, HossC said:

Today I got to spend my first day this year at the seaside. We found a quiet beach about an hour away and had blue skies all day. I even got into the sea three times!

I went to the seaside again on Sunday, but got back too late to write about it. This time I only got one swim because the beach we went to is on an estuary, and when the tide is out, the edge of the water is over a quarter of a mile away! It just seemed like a better idea to enjoy the sun on the beach. This week we got fish & chips and a fancy ice cream on the way home. :)

Are you too far north for sharks Hoss?

I ordered a new motorcycle. I just couldn't go slow on the Ninja and knew it wasn't going to end well at the rate I was going. I ordered a Kawasaki KLX300. Maybe Hoss can post a picture of it. It will be a 2023 but the 2022s look almost exactly the same. It is green and not the camo version. I miss the trails. I'm a dirt bike guy anyways. The Ninja was just a phase...bucket list thing I guess. I never planned on keeping it anyways. They are fun but I'm just not mature enough for all that speed. Maybe when I grow up some day.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:01 AM, RogerDuke said:

Are you too far north for sharks Hoss?

I've never seen any sharks. There was a famous dolphin named Fungie which lived in and around Dingle harbour in Co. Kerry between 1983 and 2020. I didn't get to see it though.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:01 AM, RogerDuke said:

I ordered a new motorcycle. I just couldn't go slow on the Ninja and knew it wasn't going to end well at the rate I was going. I ordered a Kawasaki KLX300. Maybe Hoss can post a picture of it. It will be a 2023 but the 2022s look almost exactly the same. It is green and not the camo version.

You can see pictures and a couple of videos here.

Tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of the assassination of Irish revolutionary leader Michael Collins, so today I helped to steward at a re-enactment of the ambush where he was killed. There were also speeches by the mayor and the Cathaoirleach (chairman of the council), and some Irish dancing. We had great weather for the event, and it seemed to be well received by the people who came to see it.

Before the event I got to take a short ride in the car they were using - a 1918 model made by the Chalmers Motor Company of Detroit. When new, it apparently cost three times the price of a Model T. The car came to the UK in 1989 and then on to Ireland more recently.

I heard from Hobie yesterday. He is still unable to log in so if there is anyway MM or Hoss can help it would be greatly appreciated. 

I had a great day yesterday. I went to an all day astronomy convention and after it got dark, got to look through a telescope bigger than a refrigerator. It started to get a bit foggy after midnight so I didn't stay later than that. It was a 2 hour drive home. 

4 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I heard from Hobie yesterday. He is still unable to log in so if there is anyway MM or Hoss can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, Roger, this is one for MM. My powers are limited to moderating/editing posts. Other than checking that Hobie has cleared cookies and site data, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Another day by the sea for me today, this time almost as far south-east as you can go in Ireland. The sun never properly broke through the clouds today, so no swimming. After exploring the village and quick walk on the beach we headed to the local town where I ended up spending far more than I'd planned to., but it was all stuff I needed.

21 hours ago, HossC said:

Sorry, Roger, this is one for MM. My powers are limited to moderating/editing posts. Other than checking that Hobie has cleared cookies and site data, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Thanks Hoss. I'm sure he'll read this even though he won't be able to respond. He's had this problem for awhile now.