The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

Cut some trees down today for next year's firewood supply. It doesn't matter how many times you see a big tree fall close-up, it is still an adrenaline rush. And of course there is the occasion they don't fall in the direction you expect. Good thing I'm still fast for my age. All the ash trees have died due to a bug called the emerald ash borer. Those are the ones I'm cutting down. If I don't use them they will just go to waste. 

After about a 10 year hiatus from cinema going, I've seen two good but very different movies this year.

'Belfast' is based on real events that split streets and caused many to leave the city.

'The Phantom of the Open' is about an ordinary man who decided that he wanted to enter the British Open golf tournament. It's a comedy based on a true story.

My brother recommended 'Operation Mincemeat', a WWII movie again based on a true story. I missed it when it was shown here.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:35 PM, RogerDuke said:

Anybody seen any movies lately? After waiting forever, Top Gun is just around the corner so I'm pumped about that. 

On our anniversary the wife and I went to see The Lost City. It was hilarious. 

Speaking of the wife a coworker and I pranked her the other day by putting a bunch of empty boxes in her car :lol:. We took separate cars to work that day because I had to go mow a yard after work and I get out earlier than she does. The day before she went to Wendy's and got herself some lunch and didn't get me anything so the other guy that works in the assembly building said we should prank her for that lol. Her coworkers had a good laugh when they all got out.

I hope in the next election Toledo can get a mayor that will actually do something about all the crazy :censored: that's going on instead of just forming committee's or hiring non police goobers and giving them fat paychecks for doing nothing. Shootings almost every single day. Hooligan gangs on ATV's and dirt bikes taking over city streets. Last night street racers shut down multiple intersections and caused accidents. It's :censored: sad when the highway patrol has to come in and try and clean up the city's mess. Can't wait to move out into the countryside. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was one of those days...my car was dead this morning, wouldn't turn over then it went dead, dash lights and all. Thinking it's either battery, battery cable or alternator. 

Then while at work I get a Ring notification and it's the neighbor's buddy who's banned from the property but they don't give a :censored:, and why should they as rules and laws don't apply to them :angry::mad::evil: they only apply to decent, God fearing, law abiding citizens. Have a good night y'all.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how or when but I jacked my back up some time this week. That killed our Memorial weekend plans since our boss gave everyone Friday off too, we were going to do some day tripping but I mostly laid in bed or on the couch till today. Since the pain wasn't going away the wife took me to an Urgent Care after we did a little grocery shopping this morning. I told the wife "you sure had this planned out this morning didn't you", she got me there just as they opened up lol. The Dr that was on staff this morning had me do a urine test just to make sure it wasn't a kidney stone and then he felt my back and felt my muscle was swollen and knotted up so gave me a shot and a couple of prescriptions and told me no heavy lifting for a while. 

That stinks Spike. I have plenty of back problems too. I was born with problems and they only get worse as I age. My back is feeling bad right now. We went to Detriot for a wedding and traveling is always rough on my back. The mental pain was worse. I've lived in the sticks my whole life and I don't know why anybody would want to live near city traffic. I went through Cleveland and then Detroit. And then repeated the process. But at least it was only Memorial Day weekend traffic. I've been in Cleveland rush hour traffic before and that was worse than what I experienced this weekend. Even so, I thought I was going to die a few times today and Friday.

Edited by RogerDuke

7 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

That stinks Spike. I have plenty of back problems too. I was born with problems and they only get worse as I age. My back is feeling bad right now. We went to Detriot for a wedding and traveling is always rough on my back. The mental pain was worse. I've lived in the sticks my whole life and I don't know why anybody would want to live near city traffic. I went through Cleveland and then Detroit. And then repeated the process. But at least it was only Memorial Day weekend traffic. I've been in Cleveland rush hour traffic before and that was worse than what I experienced this weekend. Even so, I thought I was going to die a few times today and Friday.

I bet Roger. It's been a long time since I've been through Cleveland but I've seen plenty of dashcam videos on YouTube and it seems like it is just as bad as Cincinnati traffic. I'll never forget the last trip coming back from Tennessee and that stupid idiot going 45mph on I-75 crossing over 4 lanes in front of us. Thank God the tanker truck driver behind us had good reflexes and brakes. 

There was a drive-by shooting in the neighborhood behind my Dad's Saturday night. Not 100% sure what happened as it didn't make the local news but according to neighbors an empty car parked on the street got shot up by a dark colored vehicle. A few weeks ago catalytic converter theives struck the neighborhood. A week before that police responded to reports of someone randomly shooting a gun. Last week some kids were going through people's mailboxes. That neighborhood is not as safe as it used to be.

I had a car wreck that almost killed me in '82 and when I got around 45-50 my back started bothering me and I had to start going to a Chiropractor.  An Orthopedic surgeon put me in an MRI and said I have Osteo Arthritis in my spine and nothing can be done about it. It came from that car wreck. 

Back is feeling a little better. Still sore in the one spot though and it doesn't help when I sleep I roll over to my left side which inflames it. I can't wait to be done with the muscle relaxers, they work good on the inflamed muscle but also on the rest of my body too, and I get exhausted from light work. 

At work we went to 4 10's schedule which gives us Friday's off. Started this week and I enjoyed getting today off and am looking forward to getting some stuff done I couldn't last weekend since my back is better. Hopefully the test goes well and we stay on this schedule for the foreseeable future. 

On 6/3/2022 at 7:33 PM, RogerDuke said:

Went to see Top Gun. Half way through I didn't think it was as good as the first but after it was over I thought it was better. I'm going to see it again. 

Went to see it today. IT WAS AWESOME :popcorn:. One of those rare sequel's that's as good if not better than the first movie. I would not be shocked if it beats Jurassic World Dominion next week. We might go see it again too. 

Went to the British invasion car show today. Was a few oddballs there this year. A '93 Rover 220 coupe that the owner recently imported to the USA. A Lotus Elite hatchback was there. The fellow that owns a 1930's Rolls Royce finally got it painted after years of showing it in it's original patina'd paint, it looks great again. 

Did pretty good garage saleing yesterday. Got a B&D hedge trimmer with battery and charger for $15 so that completes my B&D outdoor power tool set. 

Nice to know Walmart could give two :censored:about their employees and customers health. Overheard an employee telling one of their coworkers they have COVID and were forced to work because Walmart only gives them 4 days to recover otherwise they get fired on their 5th day off. It sounded like she was going to cough a lung out. On top of that before I overheard that conversation I was about 4 feet from her in the same aisle, I thought maybe she just had allergies because of all the pollen in the air here. Wife called Walmart when we got home and was told by that store's manager about Walmart's new COVID employee policy. Knock on wood that we hopefully don't come down with COVID now. 

Edited by Spike

Nice day today. We had the grandkids half the day and I worked outside the other half. Going to watch some recorded MotoGP motorcycle races now. 

Glad to hear your festival is back on Hoss. Glad to hear you liked the movie Spike. How many of those cars at that show did Hoss own? That's pretty messed up about Wal-Mart. You'd think an employee would pass an anonymous tip to the press. 

11 hours ago, Spike said:

Went to the British invasion car show today. Was a few oddballs there this year. A '93 Rover 220 coupe that the owner recently imported to the USA. A Lotus Elite hatchback was there. The fellow that owns a 1930's Rolls Royce finally got it painted after years of showing it in it's original patina'd paint, it looks great again.

6 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

How many of those cars at that show did Hoss own?

Despite my interest in cars, I've never owned anything unusual or interesting. I have to rely on my 1:18 collection for that.

My parents had a later Rover 214 hatchback, but I don't remember it being remarkable in any way. The 220 coupe variant was a good looking car for its time, and quite rare even back in the '90s. The earlier first generation Rover 200 series appealed to people who thought that a bit of wood on the dash made it a luxury car, but it was a long way from the luxury cars that Rover used to make. It proved to be an ideal choice for Hyacinth Bucket in the British sitcom 'Keeping Up Appearances'.

I remember seeing Lotus Elites around when I was younger, but I haven't seen one for years.

A 1930s Rolls Royce is always going to be classy.

Here's a review of the 1993 Rover 220 coupe by race driver Tiff Needell from the original Top Gear.

A new season of the latest iteration of Top Gear started last night. They took an old RV around Florida looking for unusual motorsports.

• 3 weeks later...

Was one of those up and down weeks. Started out looking forward to my birthday Wednesday then took a quick turn. Out of the blue this guy calls about buying my car but only offered me $100. I can understand the low offer thanks to my dad's ignorance in parking the car on the dirt behind the garage and it's sunk up to the door sills so he has to dig it out a bit. That of course brought up bad memories/feelings so I was in a sour mood on my birthday. Ended up having a good birthday though. Ended the week on a good note finding out I got another pay raise :tup:. Was looking forward to 3 days of relaxing since we haven't had any measurable rain since last Monday so wasn't going to mow any lawns this week but the one lady was adamant her half dead grass and weeds get mowed today so didn't get to any chores at home today.

Have a good weekend guys, oh and SRX racing is on Saturday nights at 8pm on CBS stations through the end of July. 

14 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I guess there is always good and bad in life Spike. I had fun today. Went on a long Ninja ride with another Ninja owner and went to a retirement party after that. That reminds me. I wonder how Skipper's brother is doing after his Ninja crash. Last I knew he was making a lot of progress healing. 

Cousin Roger... He is coming along great! :)

Thats good to hear Skipper.

Never heard back from the guy interested in the car. I just want to be done and over with this s:censored:. This is why I like animals better than people, they either like you or don't or want to kill/eat you but either way you know what you're dealing with. 

If you guys didn't catch the SRX race last night you missed a good one.